Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB Power Socket Weatherproof

I don't know about iphones but from experience HTC phones & IPAQs need 2A when charging and working (i.e GPS/Music).

I have a much cheaper and fully waterproof solution that I'll take a picture off later.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great bit of kit, have one fitted to the side of the instrument cluster, out of the weather and charging lead runs up to the tank bag, works on my iphone/ipod/ipaq in fact anything with usb charging havent found anything it wont charge yet.
    ''Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men''

www.thektmforum.com for all your ktm needs

'Don't mess with me' Member
    The Cheshunt Home for Elderly Gentle-Tossers
    Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    Great bit of kit ...
    I'm glad to hear that bowser - I've just ordered one for my Husaberg.

Greg
    Thomas! There's a mouse duck in the house!

Ordered mine @ 23:16 on 2 July, Posted @ 23:31 on 2 July, arrived north-east England on 8 July.

Tested on my FJR with an iPod Touch, no problems, works a treat.

Excellent product and excellent service, many thanks Burnszilla

Update: In response to Snoopy's earlier comment, I can't speak for all HTC phones, but this unit charges my HTC 'Desire' no problem.

Glenn

Yeah but charging and running it at the same time is different. Depends if you want to use it to listen to music or have gps nav.

I forgot to mention my method is crude but works. Find an IPAQ charger on ebay for a couple quid but ensure it is 2A. These are switch mode very efficient. Then glue gun the entire circuitry.

An alternative which works well and costs less than a quid is to buy a 12v 3pin TO220 voltage regulator at maplin, anchor to a block of metal (heatsink) and then solder to a usb cable that you've cut. The only issue being it's not so efficient and will waste some precious watts.

Yeah but charging and running it at the same time is different. Depends if you want to use it to listen to music or have gps nav.

I forgot to mention my method is crude but works. Find an IPAQ charger on ebay for a couple quid but ensure it is 2A. These are switch mode very efficient. Then glue gun the entire circuitry.

An alternative which works well and costs less than a quid is to buy a 12v 3pin TO220 voltage regulator at maplin, anchor to a block of metal (heatsink) and then solder to a usb cable that you've cut. The only issue being it's not so efficient and will waste some precious watts.

I've used the second method for years now no problem at all.

Hi Snoopy,

Yea, I should have been more specific in my reply. I was messing in the garage for around an hour. About half an hour was with the Desire charging while playing music videos from Youtube over my wifi, so the phone was working while charging, and the charge status was greater at the end than when I started (according to the Android battery status).

But yes, I also agree about the alternatives. Indeed, I use your first option to power my TomTom 'One' while on the bike. I've used this canabalised car charger (which I striped and placed contents into a small box with relevant cable connections to bike & TomTom) for over 5 years now on various bikes, and it works a treat.

The unit from Burnszilla is a nice neat USB unit though, yes it's more expensive, but it's solid, compact and rugged and is an alternative for people who are not as handy with soldering irons

Regards,

Glenn

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Another one ordered for the better half (Emma)
    She saw mine and I got told off for not getting one for her gs

so she ordered her own...

Thanks a million BurnsZilla - mine arrived today and works a treat with my iPod Video!

Any ideas, pics or advice on where to affix these USB sockets on the bike?

Thanks

Clayton

'Don't mess with me' Member
    The Cheshunt Home for Elderly Gentle-Tossers
    Quote Originally Posted by Clearandlock View Post
    Any ideas, pics or advice on where to affix these USB sockets on the bike?

Thanks

Clayton
    On my Husaberg FE570 I have the unit cable tied to the indicator mount behind the headlamp cowl.

Greg
    Thomas! There's a mouse duck in the house!

Reality you can rely on...

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I have two of these (one on my Harley, and one in the fairing pocket of my R100RT).

They work really well, and I've just ordered another for my R100GS.

Delivered, from America, I paid Ł19-06, which is a bargain for a great product.

Link

What I'm out for is a good time...

All the rest is propaganda!

My Photos

R100RT - 1979

R100GS - 1989

Mazda MX5 - 2002

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123