Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Klankys GOTC Rideout

Klankys GOTC Rideout

Following the positive response from last years all-day Saturday tour of t'Far North of Scotland I'm going to do it again this year.

If there's any of you of haven't been up through Sutherland to the Kyle of Tongue on the North coast - or up to the Far NorthWest - this is an ideal way to see the highlights in one day.

Details of last years run here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188011

We'll be following the same route as last year with roughly the same times involved. Set off at 09:30 and back for about 17:30-ish:

Off from Ullapool 09:30
    Heading North to Ledmore Junction and then heading East down Strath Oykel for Lairg.

Strath Oykel is a fantastic single track road in very good condition with virtually no traffic..as the tourists tend to stick to the coast road. Plenty of superb views and photie opportunities.

At Lairg we turn North into the remote wilds of inland Sutherland, passing through Altnaharra and coming out on the spectacular North coast at the Kyle of Tongue. We will stop off at the Craggan Hotel just outside Kyle of Tongue for coffee and sarnies.
    Travelling West on the North Coast, we go round Loch Eriboll stopping off for photies where we wish and eventually regrouping in Durness at the car park and toilets.

From here we will head past the ferry point for Cape Wrath (see here for details of the Tossers Amphibious assault on Cape Wrath) and South on more fantastic roads towards Kylesku where we will regroup again so those who have been stopping for photies can catch up.
    The roads on this section go from good quality single track to good quality 'proper' road with cracking bends and very little traffic.........

Depending on time/weather interest/apathy we will turn off just after Kylesku for the back road into Lochinver for pies and either take the shorter main route home or go through Lochinver to take an absolute treat of a tiny narrow road back to Ullapool.

There's no 'marshals' or 'ride captains' bollox, you're not expected to stay at the same pace as everyone else. We all go at whatever speed we like and simply meet up at predetermined points (just five last year) to compare notes, waffle/bullshit and make sure everyones alright.

I limited the run to about a dozen last year - as i felt that a larger group would be unmanageable on some of the narrower roads. as it turned out, because everyone is travelling at a different pace and stopping for photies, we didn't have any problems at all. So a few more would be fine, methinks.

If yer interested, stick yer name down here, the only comittment is chipping in for the sarnies and coffee at the Craggan.

About 180 miles -lots of places for fuel. And you'll be able to buy the infamous "I Love Tongue" stikurs en route.

Room for one more

Hi,

How do I sign up? or do I just turn up? I'm planning a trip to Orkney/Shetland on the 7th June and thought I'd join you first.

Thanks

Enjoyed it last year.

Go on then, stick me down.

Won't be having one of them expensive pies this year though.

I'm up for it Unlike Freeloader, I will be having one of those expensive pies
    Gert

if i can make the clans i'm in . dunno if i can get time off work yet though . let you know asap klankers

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Klanky,
    We are up for it
    Pie an all

old enough to know better, young enough not to care!

Madame is very keen so put us both down.

We're happy to run at a sedate pace so could sweep the tail if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeit View Post
    Hi,

How do I sign up? or do I just turn up? I'm planning a trip to Orkney/Shetland on the 7th June and thought I'd join you first.

Thanks
    Just say you're going on here and you're then 'going'.

So far:

Mr Wont-pay-for-a-pie-but-i-bet-he'd-eat-one-if-it-was-offered-Freeloader.
    Nakambale
    Mr & Mrs Badger
    Bhud
    Kirky (TBC)
    Bikeit (TBC)

I'm In

I'm in, signed up, no longer a TBC :-)

Looking forward to exploring the west side.....

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Count me in - fantastic roads and a nice gentle pace will do me just fine

Appreciating Scotland Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I enjoyed it so much last year that I'm coming back for seconds, but not pies. Well maybe not pies, I'll see how tight the summer riding suit feels.

Any wee tracks that you can add as side routes?
    '83 BMW R100
    Yamaha S10
    '69 BMW R60 US

Quote Originally Posted by Klanky View Post
    So far:

Mr Wont-pay-for-a-pie-but-i-bet-he'd-eat-one-if-it-was-offered-Freeloader.
    But of course.

Did I ever tell you why I use that particular soubriquet?

Quote Originally Posted by Klanky
    Nakambale
    Mr & Mrs Badger
    Bhud
    Kirky (TBC)
    Bikeit (TBC)

Quote Originally Posted by bikeit View Post
    I'm in, signed up, no longer a TBC :-)

Looking forward to exploring the west side.....
    It really is amazing. We always stop several times on the west side just to soak it up. Klanky's taking us the right way found too. Best views this direction.

Will have coffee making goodies and Tunnocks bars on board in case anyone fancies an improptu refreshment en route.

Mmmmmnot sure ...I was planning to go on Jonnys Ride Out like last year!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr badger View Post
    Tunnocks bars
    Tea Cakes?

Carmel Logs?

Carmel Wafers?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast