128 mb data upload time?

Whatton:

I kind of suspect that the error message you are seeing (Windows error 23, Data Error: cyclic redundancy check) has more to do with the computer operating system than with the MapSource application or with the data card. I Googled that error message and found about 13,000 hits, covering all sorts of different programs.

Does anyone know if we have a Forum member with a strong IT background (who perhaps doesn't hang out in this corner of the forum) that we could call on to review this thread and give us an opinion?

Failing that, I am pretty sure that if you emailed a brief note to Garmin, spelling out the error code and listing your OS version, MapSource version, and cartography product version, they would be able to shed some light on it. The pictures are great, but I don't know if the Garmin support email system is set up to accept attachments on first contact with them.

PanEuropean

I would like to send Garmin the details but as the unit was purchased 2nd hand and the first owner registered it in his name I don't think I'm eligable for support.

I've just created 6 routes for trips I've planned and found inverting them quite easy. After all the posts on the board about this I thought it would be a struggle.

After creating the route, say "Home to Lahinch", I right clicked on the route in the left hand list, selected create a duplicate, then right clicked on the duplicate (now automatically named "Home to Lahinch1") and inverted it. Mapsource re-named the duplicate "Lahinch to Home"

I've got to get in the habit of starting a new Mapsource .gbd file for each trip, as at the moment all the routes sit in one file and if I alter one, all the routes have to be re-loaded when I "send to device"

I think I'm getting there.:)

PanEuropean said:
Does anyone know if we have a Forum member with a strong IT background (who perhaps doesn't hang out in this corner of the forum) that we could call on to review this thread and give us an opinion?

Hmm, I might qualify...

The problem looks to be the process of writing to the USB card - this is a "read from 'puter", "write to card", "check what I've just written" process and a CRC error means that it doesn't believe that what it sees on the card when it checks is what it wrote.

The usual candidate for causing this is Windows XP which has a reputation for being much more careful about the checks it does than older operating systems. Since you are failing on Win2000 and succeeding on WinXP then that kind of points to either the Win2000 USB drivers (which are separate from the Garmin USB card reader drivers you updated) or the USB port itself.

If you have another USB port on the machine I'd try plugging into that first.

It might also be worth connecting to t'internet and running the Windows update to see if that helps.

Further down the line you could also have a dodgy anti-virus program which is interrupting the read/write process, but this is less common these days.

My guess would be the actual hardware USB port I'm afraid...

From another angle, the 9600 baud serial port is a bit slow - is that limited by the SPIII?

Thanks Trotsky,

The serial port speed is due to the GPS I believe.

My laptop runs McAffe which is installed by my company (pictured below)

I can't due up-dates as this is restricted with it being a company laptop. When I go in one of our offices and connect to the network I get a load of up-dates automatically loaded when starting Windows (I work from home on an ISDN line normally)

I don't want to upset the status quo and try loading maps using the other USB port on my laptop as I've got them on the card now and working. It's not ideal but I'll keep using my sons if I need to load more map sets.

Cheers,
Kev

Attachments

• screenshot044.jpg
    screenshot044.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 54
McAfee won't cause a problem like that - it's probably the USB port.

I'd haul it into your IT guys next time you hit the office and say that you have had some problems with the USB port. Tell them you were trying to back up data to a USB drive and it kept giving a CRC error. Tell them how worried you are about this as it means you might lose important data. Use words like "concerned about business continuity in the event of damage to the laptop when travelling..."

They should at least give it a once over for you.

I'd also ask them about setting you up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection over your ISDN link so that you can connect properly to your office network from home - then you never have to go in unless to look at the people who pay you...

USB CONFLICTS

Had much the same problem and eventualy found that the USB was being grabbed by other devices that I had stopped using on the laptop.

Do you have and card readers, camera hardware, Zip drive etc and definately a HP PDA set to run off the USB at other times. If you have then there will be all sorts of problems with the card programmer. You need to disable any other devices that may be trying to or have in the past used the USB port.

TRy this and you should be fine. My laptop running windows 98 downlaods to the card with 128 Mgbs in about 7-8 minutes. max

Hope this helps.

ANDY

Ahhhhhh.........

Yes, two USB ports and a 5 way splitter have to deal with two PDA's (one palm and one Pocket PC), two camera's, a USB storage fob, a printer, a USB to serial adaptor, an external CD writer, a wireless mouse, a Nokia phone, an iPod and a mini-disc.

I plug them in as I need them.

How would I disable the devices I only use now and again?

Whatton wrote: "I would like to send Garmin the details but as the unit was purchased 2nd hand and the first owner registered it in his name I don't think I'm eligable for support."

Don't be the least bit concerned about the change of ownership. Garmin provides technical support for the total lifetime of their products, without any restrictions imposed about changes of ownership. In fact, they don't even look up the record of purchase and ownership if you write them with a question concerning how to use it.

I think that Garmin will also honour hardware warranty claims made within the warranty period by the second owner of a GPSR, as long as the sale from first to second owner was done on a private (friend to friend) basis, and not by a commercial operator selling through an online auction service. But don't quote me on this.

The only thing that Garmin is out to discourage is non-authorized commercial resellers who are blowing out large quantities of GPSR's through auction services, either on a new or used basis. The problem they create for Garmin is that they don't offer any kind of after-sale support for the GPSR, as Garmin authorized resellers (either High Street or internet) do, and Garmin is unwilling to deal with all the troubles arising from commercial, unauthorized, gray market auctions sales.

Whatton also wrote: "How would I disable the devices I only use now and again?" Easy. Just unplug everything that is USB from your computer, turn it off, then start it up again. After it has finished starting up and is no longer busy whirring away, plug in your Garmin USB card programmer. Then try writing the data card. 5 other devices on the USB could well be enough to cause the problems you described.

PanEuropean.

Take a look at the system tray down in the bottom right of the screen and see what's there - the Palm hotsync icon (red and blue circly arrow thingy) will probably be running. If it is, right click, "Setup...", "General" tab and select "Only Available when Palm Desktop is running" or "Manual". This will become annoying very quickly if you usually sync by pressing the button on the cradle.

There usually (note big qualifier there) isn't a problem with multiple USB devices unless you have all the buggers running at the same time. Most things dynamically load and unload. If there are drivers for a USB device loaded it usually shows in the system tray with a little green and grey "Safely Remove Device" icon - stop anything in there you don't need and a "well behaved" program will unload its drivers :yelrotflm

Yeah right, I know, it's a million to one but it might just work, jim...

PDAs will defo play up the card programmer. HP are famous for this and even if it is not connected there might still be drivers trying to grab the port.

ANDY

I've got a temporary solution.

I'm off down the boozer, I can find my way their un-aided, might need a little help home though.

:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beer:

whatton63 said:
I've got a temporary solution.

I'm off down the boozer, I can find my way their un-aided, might need a little help home though.

:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug: :beer:

As a rule................and just in case U need any help later, the opened ended part of the glass (or bottle) should always face upwards.
Failure to adhere to this rule will most likely result in some very wet clothing!

BTBR

Have one or two beers for me while UR there.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom