Away From Here: Ireland to somewhere...

first day in Mongolia

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/14691295" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/14691295">arrival in Mongolia</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user4649041">Simon Johnston</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

27th July - first major river crossing

more excerpts from awayfromhere:

I awoke first eager to listen to the river. Either it was still in full flow, or Tuomas’ guts had taken another turn for the worst. I knew I couldn’t tell until I actually got out of my tent and looked. On doing so, the river appeared to have dropped little as it hadn’t rained during the night relieving me of the need to go and inspect Tuomas’ guts!

I forgot to write that before he went to bed, Kristian got his Isambard Brunel on and started digging meticulous trenches around his tent. Like the night before, his tent was on a slope, and consequently, the torrential rain flowed right into the storage part of the tent, soaking his and Gesa’s gear. His preventative measures were not needed last night, and so the lack of flooding was good news all round, or at least I thought so. The guys from Finland were still of the mind that it was still to heavy a flow, and in the absence of truck-sized sanitary towels, we’d never get across. It was crunch time for our group. Tuomas on his V-strom wasn’t happy with the situation and preferred to go the 150km loop to avoid this river. Only Tuomas and Sami changed money at the border, so they could buy fuel and top up if they could find some, but the rest of us had no Mongolian money yet, no water, and whatever fuel we were carrying. So, on top of the fact that we couldn’t be bothered, this re-route wasn’t an option. It appeared that our group was about to split. Tuomas admitted that his bike wasn’t Mongolia friendly and as he had to be back at work in 3 weeks in Finland, he and the others would head back west again and play in western Mongolia for a few days before exiting at the same border. I took a photo of the discussions, and they were heated. I was for going on as all of Mongolia beckoned and I didn’t come this far to pull a U-ey.
4967621992_2a7fea38f5_z.jpg
waiting out for the river to drop
4967617694_31c72545d9_z.jpg
drying the boots after the first wade
4967611296_987cd5a895_z.jpg
Pawel in on a preliminary wade
4967009467_3dc1d8204e_z.jpg
difficult conversations
4967608102_d6795bbfdb_z.jpg
Pawel returns excited

After about 30 mins, the Finns decided to plough on with us all. It was great knowing that we’d all still travel together for another while yet.

Without further ado, Pawel was in the river trying to finalise a route through. It was a good bit further up than where the couple of Uaz’s had gotten stuck and submerged, and it involved an intricate series of steps through the river. First you’d ride with the current but across. Then you’d make a straight cut across, and then finally with the current. Pawel had the small Yamaha and so went first. He took off the luggage and successfully breached the animal that had caused Kamaz trucks to park up for the night. Next Tuomas went on his Strom. He’s usually a bit fearful, but for some reason, when we stripped him of luggage, his kahunas doubled or maybe even trebled in size, for he really went for it. By the time he got over he couldn’t take his hands off the bars as his fingers has seized solid in fear to the grips. After the first two crossings, Pawel and I split the river up so I’d take the first half and help people across while he’d take the second half. Everything went smoothly until Kristian binned it towards the end. He dropped the bike in the deepest water and came swimming off the saddle. We were very glad nothing happened to him and the bike fired up again without any trouble. Eventually all were across, leaving the difficult task of carrying ALL the luggage from one side to the other. With no breakfast and barely any water worth speaking of, we were all so so tired. The pain and struggle were evident on the faces of all, as we trudged back and forth with boxes and bags. Finally, all the bikes were put back together and we took off, ready to explore the next part of Mongolia.
4967700815_8c223cb74e_z.jpg
another one over
4968038969_3a74cf7242_z.jpg
my turn
4967584802_4a8c345e23_z.jpg
this team photo was very satisfying. all of us were exhausted, soaking and starving...but we'd negotiated our first river.
4968047369_c98a127c5a_z.jpg
later in the day
4967544070_d8b3964917_z.jpg
rarely does a day of riding leave me this tired, but feeling great. :aidan

27th July...so more Mongolia

from awayfromhere.org

The sheer expanse of the country and the countless ranges of mountains were stunning. The colour of the terrrain you ride can change from green grass, to red clay, to white sand, all within about 10 mins. You crest hills to see vistas that you’d never thought possible. It is truly the most spectacular land I’ve ever seen.
4951474161_9f344ce07e_z.jpg

cresting a hill
4952066200_cd0ee7d84e_z.jpg

the wind gets so strong on these summits, you can really lean
Today we had a couple of issues. Descending a mountain on a stoney track, Aga’s pannier caught a boulder on the edge of the track and knocker her off her bike. She scratched her arm a bit and deformed the pannier good and proper. It took Pawel a little time to reattach it, but gave him a good bit of work to try and knock it back into shape at camp tonight. Later it was Sami’s turn. Normally I would be leading, but then would hunker up, take some photos and wait for everyone to pass. At one point I crested this pass and the wind was howling. 10 mins later the Poles checked in, but there was no sign of the rest of the them. Finally Kristian and Gesa came in, and they are usually last. Apparently Sami’s AT had packed in and Tuomas was waiting with him. He requested Pavel to come as he was a qualified bike tech. Pawel took off, and we spent some time with various Mongol families who appeared in their 4×4′s. Across the valley we would see a couple of Ger’s, so we told Aga that everyone could meet us there when they got sorted. We spent time with the family drinking chai, vodka, and eating Arold. It was an interesting and slightly surreal experience. The boss of the Ger wanted to swap my bike for his horse. Whilst I’m sure it was a loyal beast, it was no sea biscuit, and Pietro and I had a pact to come home together, so it was a no go.
4951466461_5e36d03400_z.jpg

Aga 30 mins before her intro to a Mongolian boulder
4951466983_537d1f9d8a_z.jpg

one of the many mountaintop prayer shrines, with a lone horseman
4952060568_83e201f69f_z.jpg

Up close and personal with K & G
4952061094_4a021061a2_z.jpg

Pawel in a puddle
4951469929_a18a951be9_z.jpg

Sami in the same puddle
4952063742_c52c93de8b_z.jpg

i have no idea what i'm up to here
4951471633_7095ef417d_z.jpg

Kristian doing his Isambard Brunel engineering feat
Eventually Pawel and the guys arrived. Sami’s fuel pump had given up the ghost again, and so it they just bypassed it so that he could still ride, albeit with the fuel consumption of a Hummer.
4951475097_86520ac8d0_z.jpg

Entering a Ger
4951478969_bbf887114c_z.jpg

Mongolian hospitality
4951475671_b9a39084c3_z.jpg

Gerry can vodka
it's tiredness, not vodka
4951477243_c21aa76114_z.jpg

laughing with new friends
hospitality
4952071678_a624c53443_z.jpg

'arold', it's horrible stuff
4951481205_1dea07a0a2_z.jpg

Yak's milk. The substance from which everything else is made.
4951493617_f73bca1553_z.jpg

his horse for my bike? i think not.
4951483761_27681cac80_z.jpg

here comes Pawel and Sami
4952074630_bf6f4acbc4_z.jpg

Pawel coming towards us at the Ger
4951473231_bb30769aac_z.jpg

capturing the moment

Normally we try to camp by a river, and tonight is no different. Fortunately we don’t have to cross this one tonight, so we can worry about who’ll do the Moses and try to part the waters tomorrow. If a big beard constitutes doing a Moses, we wouldn’t need to be waiting for any of the Fins, as I’ve seen 4 year old boys and nuns grow better facial hair. In any case, that’s it for tonight for I’m dead beat. Goodnight all.

28th July...deeper into Mongolia's middle route

from www.awayfromhere.org

Before I get into the 28th, there were a few photos from yesterday which I forgot to post…
4952076402_30d5f98885_z.jpg

dust plumes from the bikes.
4951484215_149c738747_z.jpg

Sami approaching
4952078288_e4211f5747_z.jpg

Me approaching
4952079722_ef21eb43b7_z.jpg

still approaching
4951488659_c13bea9a52_z.jpg

enjoying every moment
4951489577_8a723c03db_z.jpg

actually, we've come the wrong way
4952082702_0217c0183c_z.jpg

In the words of a famous Kazakh, 'I like!'
4951491933_a52882a272_z.jpg

Waiting for Sami before Pawel departed to help him

OK, to business…

Everyone got up and had a leisurely breakfast. The sun was shining, so we could try and dry our boots out some. Everyone made something different for breakfast and we shared our food and chatted about national identity and the holocaust with Kristian and Gesa. Conversations began about whether or not we should split up began, as the Finns said they needed to rush on and couldn’t really wait around much. I agreed to continue with Pauli, Sami and Tuomas, as I too wanted to ride more quickly and also get to Ulan-bataar. I didn’t really want to get to UB for UB’s sake as from what I understood, it has all the attraction of a bout of Jardia, but I wanted to get there early so that I could leave most of my luggage at the Oasis guest house and take a 2 day blast down to the Gobi desert, before Pavel, Aga, and my favourite Germans got there. So we left. I took us back to the route that had a solitary signpost to Narambulag, but it turned out to have 2 river crossings, one which we did, the other being too big. Tuomas complained and it was clear we were starting to make plans to top each other during the night. It was just a question of who set their alarm earliest. I told him to go the Alps next year, as there’d be less of a risk of wetting his feet. So, frustration was setting in for us all and I began to want to ride on my own again. We turned around, and about 45 mins later we caught up with the 2 couples who were the tortoise and who somehow seemed to stay ahead of the hare. I was out ahead of the guys and so had a break with the Poles and Germans until the Finnish boys arrived. We made it to Narambulag and as was normal, Pietro got me there first, so I went into one of the little stores on the main street and sat and had a beer in the heat before everyone else arrived. Eventually they did and we all agreed to press on and meet at the Hot Springs, north of a Lake on the middle route.
4951490151_1063797a49_z.jpg

Breakfast
4952082172_d35526a761_z.jpg

Drying boots before another river
4951492533_18821d9325_z.jpg

more time being wasted beating Aga's metal pannier. did i say that i don't have any time for aluminium boxes yet?
4951493077_84e7037f3b_z.jpg

Sami gearing up, or gearing down...I can't remember. still sporting the wrist support though.
4951496119_a06111a64b_z.jpg

but he was wearing two at one point! Sami, have you always had a problem with limp wrists? ;-)
4952094100_bda3c14775_z.jpg

shaking previous countries' currency and dust out of my tent
4952094446_4455a446a9_z.jpg

Kristian, my photography teacher, showing me a new trick
4952095088_927af2e183_z.jpg
Kristian always admired my bike mounts. This was too difficult for him due to some 'organisation procedure' he goes through as he get on?
4951494125_f46ce374ac_z.jpg

one of today's river crossings
4951494589_a5cd57399c_z.jpg

easiest cross to date
4951495143_1dd802f8be_z.jpg

still come up like a drowned rat
4952087116_980c2a751c_z.jpg

Waiting at Naraambulaag
4951496675_e64424c92e_z.jpg

this chap insists that the only way to ride a bike, is to do with with a large bottle of vodka in his hand. he and the rest of the Mongolian men
4951497307_eea65b767e_z.jpg

Kris waiting in line for fuel. he actually dropped his bike about a minute after this photo, but he still looked cool as he did it!!

When we got there, or at least we think we did. The springs seemed to be quite elusive and since we were all starting to smell like turnips with leprosy, we had in our minds, radox adverts shot in Iceland. What we got was a concrete building with some students who allegedly were English majors but who barely had ‘yes’ or ‘no’ down. Either the Mongols or the Bradt guide to Mongolia (which is incidentally much better than the Lonely Planet guide to Mongolia if you’re planning a trip) had oversold on the springs and underdelivered.

Again there was some angst – partly fuelled by the heat and the springless springs – as no definitive decision was made as to how much further we’d get and whether we’d camp by the saltwater lake as some wanted a swim since we hadn’t had a chance to wash somewhere clean since the Russian Altai. It was agreed that we’d ride another 15kms or so, and then try to camp by the lake. The boys took off first and I caught up with them. They wanted to keep going, and aware that we’d told the rest that we’d ride for 15 clicks, I said ‘you ride on and I’ll let them know we’re going on further’. I waited and asked Aga to take a photo of me sitting on a rock. She and Pawel then had a barney because the wind blew her bike off the side stand and broke the mirror, irritating Pawel, so I took off to let them sort it.

4952090534_20aac3a83b_z.jpg

view of some camels by the salt lake
4951497855_a7334ee4a8_z.jpg

the photo before the war between P&A before i left to go on my own before the hurricane.

I knew I was about 20 mins behind Sami, Pauli and Tuomas, so I gunned it to catch them. 45 mins later I stopped a 4×4 and he said that 3 bikes had just gone past. I saw no dust plumes and was surprised at how much ground they’d covered. So, I blasted it once more and half an hour later a jeep stopped to chat and one of the girls in the back spoke pretty good english. She said that no motorbikes had past, so I figured the guys had pulled off somewhere to camp. I was on my own now as I knew that Aga, Pavel, Kristian and Gesa wouldn’t ride this far today, and now the Finns were behind. Enjoying the freedom of no responsibility or decision making processes, I got up on the pegs and moved quickly across the steppe. It was wide open and the most open land I’d seen since I started on this trip. There were no yurts, livestock, and the only sign of life in this remote part, was the occasional 4×4 kicking up a plume. By now, dusk had kicked in and I was getting tired and not seeing the road so well. I narrowly avoided dropping the bike the in a few big holes and the final straw was when a squall hit me from the side and nearly blew me and the bike over. ‘Time to stop’, I thought. I spent about 30 mins looking for somewhere out of the wind, as it was fearsome. Eventually I found a place which I figured to be the most sheltered spot. I tried pitching the tent, and almost, inadvertently, began kite surfing across a Mongolian steppe. This wasnt’ going to work as the whole side of the tent went concave and on one occasion went flat when the frequent squalls took leave of the hurricane. I walked a bit further and finally found somehwere which offered at least a little protection no matter what direction this changebale wind blew from.
4951501771_ed37ac3fd9_z.jpg

contrary to what this photo suggests, this is quite a sturdy Mountain Equipment tent.

Once camp was set, I cooked up some Korean noodles, opened a tin of tuna, and sat in the solidude of my tent. As I sit here writing, it is strange to be on my own. We have lived in each others pockets for several weeks now and the guys are camped somewhere within 100 kms behind me.

My big disappointment now is that I forgot to zip up my tank bag for a large section of the ride today. In it I keep my netbook, camera and lenses, Leatherman, spare key, high def flip camera, and peztl headtorch, ie, all the really important stuff. When I realised that I’d left it open through a very bumpy 40 kms or so, I checked that that camera etc was all still there. Everything seemed to be in its place, so I was relieved. But tonight when I was getting ready for the evening in my tent, I discovered that I’ve lost the torch. How disappointing! It has been one of the most used items to date and now I’ve had to resort to this crappy wind up thing that cost about 2 quid in some backwater pound shop in Coleraine. The redness of my nose is, at present, giving off more light.

Well, the battery in this netbook is about to die, I need a pee, and should brush my teeth and check out on this windy night in Mongolia. I’ve no idea what tomorrow holds, but there are not other directions for me to go for 140 kms or so, so directly east to Sangino it will be. There’s some kind of vole hole at the front door of my tent, I hope it doesnt’ hassle me during the night!

Thanks for reading and goodnight. Si

Sounds and looks like you're having a cracking time and wonderful experience Si. Keep safe and mind yourself :thumb

:aidan

thanks fellas. will offer up another instalment tomorrow. donaghadee is indeed dangerous. the name isn't gaelic for 'church of destruction' for nothing! am safe though and sitting in my folks' front room playing with google maps and scheming the next trip. the announcement will come at the close of the ride report...anyone prepared to guess? :augie

thanks fellas. will offer up another instalment tomorrow. donaghadee is indeed dangerous. the name isn't gaelic for 'church of destruction' for nothing! am safe though and sitting in my folks' front room playing with google maps and scheming the next trip. the announcement will come at the close of the ride report...anyone prepared to guess? :augie

Road of Bones ?

:aidan

Some facts about Mongolia

A few facts that I’ve learned about Mongolia before I get into today’s goings on.

Outer Mongolia (the country that I’m in) became a separate state from China when the Qing dynasty collapsed in 1911. Inner Mongolia was swallowed by China, even when outer Mongolia appealed to all Mongolians to unite. China put the foot down and prevented this unification. Today, most Mongolians still live in China, south of the Gobi desert. The Soviets then offered protection to Mongolia to prevent any incursions from China, and so it became swallowed by the USSR. The USSR put some money in here during the 50′s to fund industry and agriculture, but shafted Mongolia when communism collapsed in that they quite literally pulled the plug on all of Mongolia’s electricity (since it was coming from Russia). Even the capital – Ulan-Baatar – was in the dark for months.

Prior to 1992, Mongolia was pretty much closed to foreigners and in particular westerners, which is why it is great being here before the secret of its beauty is blown and before it is covered in roads and tourists (there is already evidence of heavy machinery moving into places to lay down ribbons of asphalt). 99% of the Mongolia’s land ‘belongs to the people’ and is owned by the State (if that doesn’t sound like an oxymoron to the western mind). This means that you can camp anywhere you like.

Having majored in genetics at uni, I was interested to find out that Oxford Uni conducted a study and found that 1 in 200 men alive on planet earth today, is related to Genghis Khan. Over 10 years, scientists collected blood from 16 populations in and around Mongolia and worked on the Y chromosome that shows a signature which passes from father to son. A fifth of all Mongolian men alive today carry this gene which can be traced back to the Khan. He, his brothers and senior troops, apparently had access to thousands of women, and so shortly afterwards they wrote a song about ploughing the fields and scattering, good seed on the earth.

The Mongol Empire, prior to the Manchu’s outmanoeuvering them in Risk, was the biggest empire (geographically speaking) in history. Brutal and violent horse mounted warriors (horse riding is still massive here and they have some of the most exceptional and rarest horses in the world on these steppes) swept across the Asian steppes, and gate-crashed the European party. The Europeans had no idea what lay beyond the Ural mountains, and so these were strange looking folks that were pouring in and putting to death everything (except the hot women) that stood in their way. Being out here, it’s easy to see why we were such easy prey. Their diet and nomadic lifestyle have barely changed, bar the addition of solar panels, chinese motorcycles, black and white car battery powered TV’s, and black market premier league football tops. Athough, I believe the Great Khan himself would sport a Liverpool shell-suit when relaxing with the ladies at night in his Ger. So the point is, their diet was, and is so simple. They don’t eat fruit or vegetables, only mutton and anything that can be made out of Yak milk. Dried meat and cheese were put in a leather satchel, and they ride and they ride and they ride…west. These men are very strong; perhaps even stronger than Hulk Hogan or George W. When they got to Europe (the Mongols, not George and Hulk), our boys are all sitting around their Rayburn ranges, meticulously following Nigella’s recipe for Grilled Sea Bass, asparagus and chickpea pilaf and raita. Talk about being caught unawares? There was no time to doff the aprons and pick up their Holland and Holland revolvers for as they did so, their heads became another ingredient in Nigella’s recipe. So, they got as far as Moscow, Kracow and a few other places close to where many of you, the erstwhile readers live. Pause for a moment and consider what our history might have looked like if the marauders hadn’t gotten the email to say that a successor to Genghis was in need of election and that they all should promptly but safely do a U-turn for the occasion?

Finally, Mongolia has the most incredible night sky. This land has no light pollution. One third of its population live in the capital city, and the rest pretty much scattered across the steppes and mountains in Gers (their moveable tents). If shooting stars are your thing, then you see them on a frequency of about once a minute out here. The sky is vast and the stars are uncountable. This picture of the world by night will give you a feel for what I’m saying. Unfortunately I’m on a new computer with no software capable of writing on a jpeg, but if you look to the left of the very lit up Japan and above the lit up China, you’re into Mongolia and Siberia. It’s quite dark here…and I’ve lost my Petzl head torch :blast

night.jpg

30th July - towards the heart of Mongolia

more from http://www.awayfromhere.org

I was awoken early at 6 by footsteps and mens voices approaching my tent. Wondering if Genghis Khan’s marauding and invading progeny had spotted me and were going to pillage my meager belongings, I poked my head out of the tent to see what the craic was. Three smiling Mongol men were coming towards me. Regrettably, they seemed fascinated by my situation. After wondering how they found me up in my little nook, and watching them circle my bike through a very partially opened tent door, I quickly threw on some more clothes so that I could get out and verify that they meant me no harm.

Once the easy bit was done and my clothes were on, in what was necessarily a very short series of steps in cognitive processing, I quickly realised that I had a sum total of no Mongol language. Still, I thought, in spite of my normally trusting posture towards newcomers, it should be somewhat obvious if they want to cut off my head.

I remembered whilst at seminary, studying Missiology under a certain Lish Eves, that having lived in Indonesia for many years, she learned that blending into the indigenous ways of life – technically known as ‘inculturation’ – was of paramount importance in the process of acceptance. So, in order to diffuse a potentially hostile approach, I thought that either chai or vodka would be my suitable attempt at practicing the native hospitality. Again, I thought quickly, or rather my tastebuds thought quickly, and rejected the 6:01am (you see, I was thinking very quickly) vodka option, which was just as well, as I didn’t have any. I put the stove on to brew some tea and just as I was about to get smug with my improvised ambassadorial efforts in international relations, I realised that I had enough water for 4 very small cups, but alas, I didn’t have 4 cups! Surely this wasn’t my own petard from which I’d be hoisted. How would their chai drinking mores cope with this offence?

Very quickly, the chai became of secondary importance. Their constant up and downward motion with both hands together, suggested one of three things; either they were in need of one of those devices that Wiley Coyote used to explode dynamite in a bid to terminate Road-runner, or they needed a few space hoppers as their horses had died, or they needed a pump? Since my neural synapses were now on fire, I very very quickly eliminated the first possibility, and then, nanoseconds later, the second with it. ‘You need a pump’, I shouted victoriously, pointing at a tyre on my bike. All smiles and expectation, they confirmed my announcement. ‘No, sorry, don’t have one’, I said. This was true and not true. I didn’t have a manual pump, which strictly speaking, is what they were looking for. But I did have one better, in the form of a Slime Compressor. Call it selfish, but I didn’t want to volunteer my little compressor if these boys were wanting to pump up the tyre of a Kamaz truck. I know from the experience of others that you can burn them out blowing up a double air bed, so a truck tyre would likely end up with the same result.

Still curious as to how they were able to find me but realising that finding an answer would require more gesticulating that would probably not deliver an answer, I asked them to take me to the fallen vehicle. Surprisingly it was around the corner by a nearby Ger I hadn’t seen. It was only a Toyota Hiace and the model was, amusingly, a ‘Moto Gimp’. The rear right wheel was well deflated and showed all the signs of a slow puncture. I thought that the slime would cope with this, so I told them I’d be back in a few mins. I got back to the tent, jumped on the bike, and rode back to the waiting posse. They stood there wondering what I was about to do. With the expectation building, I pulled a white rabbit out of my helmet and everyone laughed. For my next trick I dug into the bottom of my pannier and pulled out my little black compressor box. After unravelling a few leads, I plugged it into the bike, connected it to the tyre valve, and switched it on. The looks of amazement and the chit-chat between them all was hilarious. 10 mins later the job was done and one by one, people of all ages and sizes sleepily appeared out of the Ger. What had probably happened is that this Hiace had arrived at 2 or 3 in the morning, and unable to go any further in this deep sand with such a load on a half inflated tyre, they just pulled into the Ger of this family, and found somewhere to sleep. This is the way it works here. Nice huh? Who needs motels or the AA?

After everyone had been shoe-horned into the Toyota, I was beckoned in for some breakfast. A bowl of Chai was handed to me and then a bowl with mutton and strips of some kind of bread they make. My instruction was to put the mutton/bread mix into the chai and slurp it down. It was foul, but I didn’t want to offend, so persevered.

Knowing that the guys were a bit behind me, and with various SUV’s pulling in to this Ger, I found one containing a chap who spoke moderately good english. I asked him if he had passed 3 bikes, and he said yes, about 20kms back. I knew that it would take them 30mins (on these roads) to get to me, so I sat in the Ger and watched the family get set up for the day. It was fascinating. They were so industrious and from the youngest to the oldest, everyone had a role. It appeared to me to be so ritualised that they went through these motions almost robotically every day. 8 big thermos’ of Chai were made on the stove, presumably made to refresh all the weary travellers who would pass this way today. I could go on, but I’ll spare you the details.

A couple of hours later, the boys did pitch up. I was doing some colouring in with the youngest of the family, when I heard the exhausts roar up outside. Sami then poked his head through the door and blurted ‘what’s the craic?’, a phrase I’d taught the Finnish contingency earlier in the trip. I invited them into my new family’s abode and offered them some chai. We all had a good laugh about last night’s wind and the fact Sami had to forget about his tent and just bunk down on the ground in his sleeping bag.
4952096660_a85750253d_z.jpg

my little friend
4952098686_e8a4853d95_z.jpg

this little boy's mum. two ladies and their kids and the grandfather all lived in this Ger. the husbands had died. sorry about the quality of the pic.
4951506893_7255cde1c2_z.jpg

the little fella's cousin, with some passing travellers in the background. about 20 people had slept in this Ger last night!
4952099678_74f974ab75_z.jpg

'weetabix or bones?' 'weetabix please.' 'sorry we're out of weetabix'. 'so my options is "or bones" then?' just kidding, not weetabix on the menu here.
4951507955_b507c4aa9a_z.jpg

gramps
4952100736_e5422eb615_z.jpg

i tried 'doing an angelina' on him, but neither he nor his mum were too happy about it. actually, i felt like i could've stayed with these people for a month if i'd wanted.

It was time to go. We sped off in the direction of Sangino and encountered some majestic scenery once again. It was like a movie, every moment it cut to a different scene, with differing back drops and new things to notice. There was a lot of deep sand today, and Sami and I put the bikes down more than once.

We got to Sangino and found a cafe which was very clean. I went into the little kitchen at the back as there was no menu, hoping I could just point at something and say, for me! The lady was preparing food and it looked great, so the 4 of us ordered 4 bowls of it. Again we watched the whole town descend upon our bikes. Well fed and in good spirits, we set out again for the rest of the day.
4951509545_bea935df79_z.jpg

edible food, at last!
4951510595_4a8a2cd8de_z.jpg

shopping
4952103408_7cef706293_z.jpg

a random riding shot

Tonight, after a day of gruelling terrain, we’ve pulled off to the side and found a suitable place to set up camp. The sunset was glorious and as we sat there sipping beer and regaling the day, it was one of those unforgettable evenings. Off to bed. Goodnight, Mongolia, Goodnight world.

4951512187_fa6ddef323_z.jpg

sunset...
4952105474_60f5db9963_z.jpg

and me watching it.

30th July - misfortune bites me

excerpt from http://www.awayfromhere.org

After a breakfast of tinned fish, pickles and nescafe, which I'd now no option but to like, we packed up and rode east...again. This time we were bound for Tsontsongel. I think today was affording me some of the prettiest scenery I'd come across. The valley's were so fertile and verdant, with rivers running through, forests, group of Ger's surrounded by livestock, and people riding horses everywhere. Every moment I was stopping to take photos, so decided that this was getting me nowhere and that I needed to ride.

When we got to Tsontsongel, we stopped for some food. Some ladies outside the cafe were clearly taken by the black lambs wool on my saddle. They kept rubbing it and chatting among themselves. I made the sound of a sheep and said 'Irlandia', which they thought this was hilarious. Now, Sami had been wanting one of these saddle accessories for some time, for they keep you cool in the heat and warm in the cool, and a Mongolian fleece would be a nice souvenir. After all, wool (camel, yak or whatever) is one of their main exports. Thus, he tried to make his desires known these women. One of them called over a bloke who sped off on his little motorbike. Moments later he pulled up with a white canvas bag. Would this be Sami's lucky day? Out of it came this massive fur coat, which I can only presume is the sort of thing these folks wear when it gets to -45 in the winter. The price was equivalent to $50 which was a steal for this authentic fur, so I told sami to buy the coat, cut the bottom off for his seat and donate the rest to the poorest looking punter in the assembled throng of onlookers. Sami felt this wasn't the best course of action, so I tried the coat on, much to the amusement of all.

We left Tsontsongel on the right road, but Tuomas didn't think it was. We spent the next hour taking various tracks out of the place, but ended up back on the first one we'd chosen. When you're trying to cover ground, this feels like a colossal waste of time. How and ever, we were one the track now, and the scenery just kept getting better. Before long 2 Polish lads on African Twins, riding from Vladivostok pitched up in front of us. I can't remember their names, but they were good boys. After some banter, we moved on and started climbing higher. After passing through countryside which looked particularly 'Flintstone-esque' we got to 2600m. This peak hosted the biggest prayer shrine we'd seen to date. There were a few people gathered at it and a woman was sprinkling vodka over it, while someone else was putting money under a stone at it. Reverently, and with Pauli's help, I placed my final 'awayfromhere.org' sticker high up on the sign close to it. I got this old Mongol gent to point to it for comedy purposes. If you manage to reach this point at these GPS co-ords (coming soon) and take a photo with the sticker, I'll buy you a beer!

these GPS co-ords and take a photo with the sticker, I'll buy you a beer!
4951515709_d7c9aec93c_z.jpg

Polish riders
4952110382_7764089616_z.jpg

Toconsengel
4952108576_42f44295e7_z.jpg

Our waitress at the cafe ;-)
4951517581_4f73c7a28f_z.jpg

Touching up my sheep
4952109868_8e22a462e6_z.jpg

I really should have bought it
4952110890_4d751a26ec_z.jpg

Horse riding
4952111960_3d02907cc4_z.jpg

a local rider, as Pauli the map king consults a local for directions in the background...who, like most Mongolians, has no idea what a map is
4951521329_1a0718a6e9_z.jpg

tree climbing goats
4952113456_713ddd980b_z.jpg

break time
4952113894_cb883c7e2c_z.jpg

Sami and Tuomas
4952114390_9776f67115_z.jpg

riding
4952114892_9af5bf6133_z.jpg

Leaving my mark
4951523557_7be7ee424a_z.jpg

he found it, so he gets a beer
4952115860_0c7524bd24_z.jpg

shrine
4951524557_e15b3e2330_z.jpg

Pauli
4951528599_800a262d58_z.jpg

Sami

Again, we moved on. Our destination was 'The White Lake'. We'd heard that the water was so pure that you could drink it and that it was set in a splendid valley with one or two Tourist Ger camps. It was unfortunate that you had to negotiate the worst road in Mongolia to get there. It was a road of sorts, as opposed to just a track, which are often easier to ride. It was host to pot holes my height deep, so you could do yourself some real damage. All of us, trying to nurse our bikes through this minefield, fearing for our rear shocks, got to the end of the lake and could see what we thought were the Ger camps. We noticed a couple of Western girls sitting by their tent with 2 Mongol chaps. So, we pulled over to find out their story. They were French and were hitchhiking and walking across Mongolia. Their 2 friends were a little behind and if we found them we were to instruct them as to where they were. The guys pulled away first as I finished practicing my French. Two mins later I was after them. .
Sadly, misfortune was about to befall me. As I was riding this track and doing 50-60 mph, this dog started running alongside me. This wasn't an unusual situation because it happens out here with great regularity. I'd already given one dog a taste of my boot about 3 days ago. All of a sudden I became fearful of this dog and having no back brake after realising earlier in the day that the pads were really shot and the brakes were down to metal on metal (I was going to change them at the Ger camp that evening), I didn't want to anchor up on the front brakes on this stoney gravel road, so I blipped the throttle to leave the dog in my rear view mirrors. I knew instantly that it was confused and in a fraction of a second, it pulled out in front of me causing me to hit it full tilt. There was no way I was holding the bike up, and I, with it, went down hard and slid up the road. I recall my head hitting the deck and the next thing standing up and seeing two Mongol lads approaching me on a motorbike with mine lying upside down on the road. I knew this wasn't good. I looked around for the dog and saw it yelping up the road hobbling. If I hadn't broken its back, I'd certainly broken ribs and most likely punctured its lungs, leaving it maybe an hour to live. I was all out of sympathy after its foolishness.
The Mongol guys were keen to get my bike up, but I was in a fit of rage kicking a post at the edge of the track. I realised that it was a precipice leading down to the river, so it was good I was on the right side of it, if indeed there was anything good about this situation. Eventually, we righted the bike and I knew that it was poorly. I was aware of pain in both wrists, but a quick inspection revealed nothing severe. Truly, I was more concerned about Pietro. His binnacle and screen had nearly been ripped off, and the engine bars on the right side were contorted into the most bizarre shape. 'This is the end of away from here', I thought. I tried calling the boys to get them to back up to me, but couldn't get through. 3 mins later Sami rode up and saw the mess. He got me a bottle of water from his bike and told me to sit at the side of the road while he checked out Pietro. His recommendation was that we could cable tie the binnacle together and if the bike started, it might yet be rideable. Tuomas arrived and sawed off the remains of the engine bars on the right side. I was sad; Pietro my trusty steed was badly injured.
I managed to get on the bike, started it, and discovered that it sounded like a bag of bolts. Something was wrong, but diagnostics would be reserved until we hit our lodgings for the night. I and the bike, limped the few kms into the tourist camp, where our hosts took my stuff off the bike as my wrists were too sore to do anything. We were taken to our two two person Gers that had the stoves lit and were very cosy. Under normal circumstances I would've loved this, but my mind was elsewhere. As I attempted to ride back to the camp I was rehearsing the incident in my mind. I was also going through a battery of diagnostics on the bike as I listened for the slightest noise which might indicate a fault. It was already clear that the engine bars cross bar had bounced back and hit one of the header pipes. Pietro's new found flatulence was because the header pipe had been separated from the engine block, causing it to blow out. On top of this, I would be a mirror down for the rest of the trip, a creak in my neck up from the angle of the instruments, and sore from turbulence owing to the screen no longer working. The handlebars were pointing all directions, and my bags now had a few holes in them. As for me, I hadn't spilled any blood, but the wrists kept getting more painful, and the left one began to balloon, discolour and feel like it was on fire. I remembered the same thing happening when I broke my wrist snowboarding a few years ago. At the time, I didn't know it was broken, and plied it with deep heat and went back up the mountain the following day. Sick of the persistent clicking, 18 months later my sister forced me into her work for an x-ray. The doctor then looked at me like I had had a frontal lobotomy and said that my wrist had been broken in 3 places…18 months ago and what did I expect him to do now? Long story short, I suspected that I'd fractured one of the bones in my wrist, as I couldn't rotate my hand at all, but a cast was the last thing I'd need, because as long as Pietro could still ride, then so must I!
This entry was written about 3 days later as I couldn't type.

4952125576_cae99b4840_z.jpg

moments before my spill
4952126112_4855c23934_z.jpg

moments after my spill
4952126482_d9867070a0_z.jpg

our Ger
4952126890_8f83da9b9a_z.jpg

trying to sort my wrist
4952127296_c1842df883_z.jpg

gotta keep smiling though

S**t, looks like your guardian angel was having a nap when that dog was chasing you or maybe your luck was busy stopping you crashing over the precicipe. Hope you mend soon and the bike is fixable enough to continue your adventure.

Back
Top Bottom