Which Flip-Up Front Helmet

Been using Shoei multitec's at work since they came out, and Synchrotec's before that....

Helmet on and off for 17 hours on Sunday :eek: No discomfort etc.

I've actually just bought my own ... which says a lot about how I get on with them ;)

Hello Bryn,

Thanks for your post.

I really like the Shoei Multitec - Great helmet, excellent quality, multi-fibre and one of the lighter weight flip-up / modular helmets. :thumb2

Shoei Multitec was my second choice.

Regards,

RD.

Hi UturnTony,

Good post and excellent observations. :D :D :D

I forgot to mention about the very good field of view and the slight weight gain but disagree re; Sizing which I think is generous.

Good luck with your trip to Europe - Make sure you have "Green Card / European cover" and inform your insurers of your dates of travel.

Cheers, :beerjug:

RD. thank's for your comments and "heads up" for the documentation musts for the trip.

about the sizing thing. i tried a small on, but found the what i will describe as the skull cap was too small and when i pulled the helmet down firmly pinched too tightly around my head, this caused uncomfortable pressure to be felt mainly on the forehead. otherwise it did fit me. for this reason i had to go for the medium.

cheers mate.

Hi UturnTony,

Good post and excellent observations. :D :D :D

I forgot to mention about the very good field of view and the slight weight gain but disagree re; Sizing which I think is generous.

Good luck with your trip to Europe - Make sure you have "Green Card / European cover" and inform your insurers of your dates of travel.

Cheers, :beerjug:

RD. thank's for your comments and "heads up" for the documentation musts for the trip.

about the sizing thing. i tried a small on, but found the what i will describe as the skull cap was too small and when i pulled the helmet down firmly pinched too tightly around my head, this caused uncomfortable pressure to be felt mainly on the forehead. otherwise it did fit me. for this reason i had to go for the medium.

cheers mate.

Hi,

No worries - I ride to Germany once or twice a year with about 10 friends. Didn't go on the May bank holiday this year though - The wife and funds. :(

Some insurers don't include "Green Card / European Cover" and some do at added cost. Just make sure you're covered, give them a call and inform them the date when you leave and the date when you are due to arrive back in the UK. Your insurers will probably ask what countries you will travel through - I travel via France, sometimes Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Other things to arrange or carry are:-

• Breakdown Cover (to include rider and bike repatriation to the UK)
  • E111 / European Health Cover and or travel insurance

• Hi-Viz

• Waterproofs

• Passport!! ;)

• EUROS, cash and or plastic

• Spare set of bulbs - LED's are very reliable if fitted so wouldn't worry about those.

• Collapsible Warning Triangle.

• GPS with coverage of the area that you intend to travel through - Great for finding garages, B&B's and fuel stations if you're riding a Ducati 1098s!!

Good luck and have a great trip.

Regards,

RD.

I looked at an Evoline but was put off by the weight and the fact that there is no pinlock visor option, at least according to the outlet.

I'm swithering between the Shoei and the Nolan N103. Hard to see where the benefit is for the extra £100+ that the Shoei costs,especially when it doesn't have a built in sun visor.

In the everlasting search for enlightenment, I visited a helmet emporium today to try on the flip-face helmets and get a feel for the differences.

First up was the Shark Evoline Series 2 in my normal Shoei/Arai size of XL or 61cm-62cm. The salesman showed me how the flip was easy to operate and rotated on an eccentric cam all the way to rest on the extreme rear of the shell. And pretty cool it looks too - a very successful design by our French cousins who know a thing or two about cool design. :cool:

The salesman then tried to close the chinbar again and that's where things started going tits up because he couldn't budge it. Eventually and with a lot of straining, he freed the chinbar and locked it back in place. Now maybe it was a glitch or a well abused demo hemet or maybe Shark's quality control isn't up to best practice. Anyhow and in the end it didn't matter because the helmet was too constricting across my brow. The largest size is XL so that rules out the Evoline.

Next up was a simply lovely Shoei Multitech. How I love Shoei build quality and could not do without my Hornet DS for when I ride the GSA. And I am a perfect XL in Shoei so I had great hopes. And sure enough it fitted brilliantly until I lowered the face-bar which jammed against my chin. Now I may have a big bonce but I am no Bruce Forsyth and the Schuberth C3 has loads of room in the chin/nose area so I can't figure that one out. :confused:

There is nothing else on the market of this quality so I may have to head down the Schuberth route again, damn it, and pay the £400 plus squids that are required. Heigh-ho........ :nenau

I looked at an Evoline but was put off by the weight and the fact that there is no pinlock visor option, at least according to the outlet.

i was concerned about the lack of a pinlock visor too, and yes, one cannot be fitted due to the curvature of the visor. the same goes i believe for the fog city anti mist thingy. i decided that i would pass on the pin lock and trust that the anti fog film that is applied to the shark visor will do the job. if not, i have some pretty good stuff that i can apply if all else fails. in the end i wasn't going to let the absence of pinlock get in the way of getting what i believe a cracking versatile lid.

the weight is not proving to be a problem to me. i have been out again this evening and the lid feels great. :thumb

The Evoline does well in the Sharp tests as well, (discredited though some people feel they may be) especially when the Shoei M/tech does so poorly on side of head tests.

The Nolan N103 does better for less money and IMO feels well made.

Has anyone used a Nolan N103 extensively in heavy rain? Any problems with water ingress through the visor top seal of up through the chin vent, both of which are significant and annoying problems on my System 5?

Which Flip Front Helmet?

Had a Shoei (OK) and currently have the Schuberth C2 (5 Years) which has been a good helmet and I was lookingat the C3 but have been put off by silly prices. I also checked the SHARP site (government lid testing site) yesterday and both the Multitec and the C3 score only 3/5 whereas the C2 is 4/5 and the BMW is 5/5
£400 to £500 for 3/5 sounds a bit poor to me!

Just changed from my system 5 nut protector. After reading many reviews on here and on the web! Very easy to pick faults with all the main contenders out there imo:nenau So I opted for the c3 and for me.. im very happy with it!! I dont think theres a best helmet to go for! its personal preference after testing fit and feel at the dealers go wth your own instincts. Although for me my system 5 was heavier and noiser compared to the c3 but I suppose thats why it costs more.. system 6 was a strong contender but hey hoe..

I'm swithering between the Shoei and the Nolan N103. Hard to see where the benefit is for the extra £100+ that the Shoei costs,especially when it doesn't have a built in sun visor.

I got an evoline at chrimbo ish altho didn't use it til recently. Think mine may have been the 'old' model altho don't know what's changed about it for the 'new' model - if anything :nenau. Feels a smidgeon heavy when first worn, but once in use on the bike, it feels grand - not heavy at all. In jet mode it is nicely balanced too.

According to the user manual doofer, the visor is coated with some mist retardant magickery. FWIW, I rode in the rain for 4 hours on Sunday in full face mode and it didn't mist up once. I think you need to look after your visor and not use chemicals on it, but that's no hardship. Manual says put visor in warm water (less than 40 degrees) to clean - works a treat so far. Visor easy peasy to remove and replace also.

Variable noise experience - first time out, v quiet, thought it was the dog's doo dahs. Next time, VERY noisey, then yesterday and today, fine and dandy. No idea why it would vary on that one day.

Drop down sun visor is great as well. :thumb2

:thumb I bought a Marushin 401 a couple of months ago, its got an integral drop down sun visor and it was cheap and it shows:blast. I bought it because it fitted my larger than average bonce but really wish I'd saved the £180 and put it towards a Shoei Multi tec. I just wish they would bring them out with a drop down sun visor as well. Apparently, along with Arai, they wont because they feel it weakens the structure of the helmet at precisely the area which takes the most impact?:confused:

I tried a Shark Evoline at Fowlers and was impressed! Another one to add to the collection!!

"Think mine may have been the 'old' model although don't know what's changed about it for the 'new' model

one change, maybe the only one, i can't think right now as i am into a teachers whisky bottle quite a bit:jager is that the visor on the series 2 has more, shall i say, "clicks" whereas the series one just had one click from closed then free to fully open at which point it dropped into an indent again..er. i think.

Variable noise experience - first time out, v quiet, thought it was the dog's doo dahs. Next time, VERY noisey, then yesterday and today, fine and dandy. No idea why it would vary on that one day.

That's usually a function of the helmet not sealing perfectly. Open it up again, close it again slowly and all should be well. At least that's how it works on my Nolan N102.

Achim

My other half has had a Shark Evoline for about 2 1/2 years.

the visor was getting very stiff, so we mentioned it to our local store (charlie williams in chester) they told us when the rep was next in, to drop the helmet off.

4 days later helmet back in store, new hinges fitted (from the upgraded evoline 2) new visor fitted.... no charge

blinding service, good lid
we would get another:beerjug:

I have just bought a Shark Evoline Series 2 and what a cracking bit of kit :thumb2 with the finish being right up there with my Shoei Hornet DS and the fit perfect (I am an XL in both Shoei and Arai and the XL Evoline fit is just spot_on). The flip works a damned sight better than the flip on my old Schuberth C3 and the ability to rotate the chinbar to the back of the helmet is priceless. It is beautifully engineered and the chinbar integrates perfectly in balance and aesthetically giving a true open helmet appearance and feel.

The visor has 9 well positioned indents which really do work and the inbuilt sunscreen comes right down to the bridge of the nose giving super eye protection. The neck-strap is of the 'ski-boot ratchet' variety and works simply but well and is also a doddle to undo with a gloved hand. Finally, the field-of-view is huge and 'lifesavers' are not a chore.

There is a great selection of colours and designs and you can pick one up for £250 or so. What a winner. :bow

I have just bought a Shark Evoline Series 2 and what a cracking bit of kit :thumb2 with the finish being right up there with my Shoei Hornet DS and the fit perfect (I am an XL in both Shoei and Arai and the XL Evoline fit is just spot_on). The flip works a damned sight better than the flip on my old Schuberth C3 and the ability to rotate the chinbar to the back of the helmet is priceless. It is beautifully engineered and the chinbar integrates perfectly in balance and aesthetically giving a true open helmet appearance and feel.

The visor has 9 well positioned indents which really do work and the inbuilt sunscreen comes right down to the bridge of the nose giving super eye protection. The neck-strap is of the 'ski-boot ratchet' variety and works simply but well and is also a doddle to undo with a gloved hand. Finally, the field-of-view is huge and 'lifesavers' are not a chore.

There is a great selection of colours and designs and you can pick one up for £250 or so. What a winner. :bow

I forgot the pics:

SHARK-EVO-SILVER-1000.jpg

EvoSLVBrillant34Ouvert.jpg

Something's not right with Shark helmets. :eek:

Here's the problem. In spite of some initial doubts, I succimbed to the 'must try' bug and bought a Shark Evoline Series 2 in a stunning titanium gray. It cost me £267 delivered which is a lot, lot cheaper than the equivalent Shoei or Schuberth. Being a standard XL in the better known helmets, I took a chance on sizing and ordered and XL - being the biggest that Shark make in this model.

The helmet arrived and careful inspection showed that it gave away nothing in quality and finish to the other two more expensive pair. So I raised the chinbar and tried it on. Perfect around the head and ears - firm but very, very comfortable with a natty bayonet strap which is really easy to use. :thumb2 Next to drop the chinbar and see if there was enough room for my big chin - just to point out that the Schuberth C3 has a lot of room but the Shoei Multitec butts hard against my chin. Wonder of wonders, the Evoline was perfect. :bounce1 Now for a ride.

The Evoline is as quiet as any helmet has a right to be and the ability to ride legally with the chinbar fully back and the sun visor down makes these hot summer days a real joy. All-in-all, I highly rate this helmet - in fact so much so that I wanted to buy another one with graphics. And that is where everything goes tits-up. :eek

These helmets are in bloody short supply and, amongst the sparse stock distributors hold, the XL is even rarer in spite of what they may advertise. I eventually called the importer and located just one helmet in the right graphic and size at a Triumph dealership near Oxford. I give them a ring and the parts guy said, yes, they had what I wanted in stock and no, they wouldn't post it to me. When questioned, he answered that even were he to post the helmet to me, he wouldn't take it back for any reason. Well as I wanted it, I wasn't about to quote the Consumer Protection Regulations 2000 and its seven day 'cooling-off' period so I drove to Oxford to collect it. And that turned out to be the good bit of luck and why something is not right with Shark helmets.

I arrived at the counter and the guy pulled out the helmet, took it out and handed it to me. Right graphics? Check! Right size? Check! I tried it on to make sure and it seemed to be the same fit as my own. Then I closed the chinbar ..........and it bloody well wouldn't get past my chin. :confused: Try as I might, it was a completely different size to the great-fitting one I have written about. I double checked the size - XL - looked inside, outside, tried it on again - nada, nothing, no-way was it the same chinbar. So I then tried on another Evoline in Large in case the first had been mislabelled and that was just impossible and the shell was obviously too small.

Clearly there is a serious quality-control issue with Shark as I suspect that a chinbar from a smaller helmet had been fitted to the XL shell. Crazy. So if you are tempted to buy one of these, don't do it mail-order but buy from a dealer direct. At least you will be sure of the sizing.

Cheers for the reports, interesting reading. I am considering getting myself one of these for my trip in a couple of weeks time. Going by what you have said, i definately need to find myself a dealer.

Stu

Evo 2 Lumi

After reading this thread with interest, Got myself a Evo2 Lumi (finally!) on Saturday. First one I saw (by chance) here is swiss land. Seems supply is limited everywhere I tried (UK, and Swissland). For me, toss up between and Evo or a C3 (the only ones that fit) - So went with the vastly cheaper EVO2. Not ridden with it yet - But Ill let you know. The Lumi option is kinda weird/cool depending on what you want - but I figured it would be a good "safety" option - apart from the driver that goes "What the F*&K is that ....."...Crash...

Has anyone used both of these helmets?

I regularly use a boxer (series 1) & really like the ability to use it as either full or open face - my regular commute is mixture of 30 mins 3-lane A road & 30 mins London traffic.

However there are a couple of features I struggle with:

1) Impossible to convert from open to full without stopping - even then I can't always get the poppers to engage without a titanic struggle.

2) Mists up heavily in rain.

3) No ventilation (other than the open front!) so my brain gets pretty warm at times.

Testing in a shop indicates the Shark cures item one.
I guess my key question is whether the Shark is any better for items 2 & 3?
The nice gentleman in the shop assured me it would be. . .

Thanks for any insights

G

I've had a Roof Boxer a few years ago and replaced it with a Caberg Justissimo, I've now switched to an Evoline and and it is by far and away the better of the three helmets on all counts.

Back
Top Bottom