Which Flip-Up Front Helmet

Where can I try on a Shark Evoline Series 2?

Can anybody help?

Been reading through reviews on Flip Up helmets and want to try before I buy. Got a sort list, but struggling to find someone that stocks Shark Evoline Series 2.

I Live on the south east side of Manchester, does anyone know of any stockists locally (e.g. within 25 mile radius).

Many thanks.
P-)

Can anybody help?

Been reading through reviews on Flip Up helmets and want to try before I buy. Got a sort list, but struggling to find someone that stocks Shark Evoline Series 2.

I Live on the south east side of Manchester, does anyone know of any stockists locally (e.g. within 25 mile radius).

Many thanks.
P-)

The best thing to do is to telephone the importers, Nevis Marketing (link here ). They are bloody nice people and really helpful at locating stockists. Good luck :thumb2.

A fellow GSer let me go for a ride with their Shoei Multitec at the weekend and I reckon it was a match for my XR1000. No noisier, no heavier in real terms and just as comfy.

Strange how a small Multitic was a bit looser than my normal medium, probably because there is a bit less padding.

I'm not bothering with the BMW system 6 or Schuberth C3 as they are not as comfortable for me and there does seem to be a fair few people with complaints. The Multitec seems to have a good reputation plus I like the new Shearwater TC2 design.

I'm thinking of getting a Caberg Konda as I'm after a flip up helmet for touring and it gets a cracking review on web here

Less than £120 on the web and I reckon it looks pretty good

3Caberg_Konda_W.jpg

Shark Evoline 2 Lumi E-Tec

Well just to let y'all know that I used the Evo for 4 days riding down to the south of france and back. I like it. It seems to be as quiet if not quieter than my Schuberth C1 (?) full face, not too heavy (I honestly didnt notice any difference), and the jet mode is great. Actually rode most of the way in Jet mode. The front can be moved to the rear whilst riding, but not the other way around. In fact the only issue I have is that it is difficult to change from Jet to full face easily, but maybe thats because its new. Its also weird to see something glowing in the tent as well after lights out. I have no issues with the quality of finish, and the paint finish seems to stand up better than my schuberth. I drooped it once or twice off the bike :blast and was surprised to find no marks at all. The visor popped out (after falling) and no breakages, just snapped back into position.

Riding in the rain was ok, for the 20 mins that it rained, no visibility issues, no misting.

All-in-all a good piece of Kit. Im impressed.

F2L

Well just to let y'all know that I used the Evo for 4 days riding down to the south of france and back. I like it. It seems to be as quiet if not quieter than my Schuberth C1 (?) full face, not too heavy (I honestly didnt notice any difference), and the jet mode is great. Actually rode most of the way in Jet mode. The front can be moved to the rear whilst riding, but not the other way around. In fact the only issue I have is that it is difficult to change from Jet to full face easily, but maybe thats because its new. Its also weird to see something glowing in the tent as well after lights out. I have no issues with the quality of finish, and the paint finish seems to stand up better than my schuberth. I drooped it once or twice off the bike :blast and was surprised to find no marks at all. The visor popped out (after falling) and no breakages, just snapped back into position.

Riding in the rain was ok, for the 20 mins that it rained, no visibility issues, no misting.

All-in-all a good piece of Kit. Im impressed.

F2L

These comments by flytoolow pretty much match my own experience of the Evoline 2 but I am worried about his problems in moving the chinbar forward whilst riding. It seems to me that Shark are having some quite serious quality control problems with the locking/swivel mechanism on the chinbar. Since buying mine, I have tried on two different Evoline 2 helmets and each one had a problem in chinbar fit and release. I have posted a couple of detailed threads explaining my experiences and have spoken to the importers who seemed surprised and professed ignorance at the problem. :confused:

That said, my own helmet is brilliant and I can easily swing the chinbar forward from its rear position whilst riding. There is a slight security detent which is overcome by modest pressure and then everything works smoothly and safely. One of the two other helmets that I tried needed quite violent sideways 'jiggling' to relase the chinbar in its jet setting. The salesman tried to persuade me that this was normal and a security detail. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

I would strongly urge anyone thinking of buying a Shark Evoline Series 2 either to try on the actual helmet in store or to make sure that the refund policy is unambiguous if distance buying. And flytoolow, I would send yours back and ask for a replacement because your mechanism is not right. Just have a look at this video from WebBikeWorld and check if yours operates the same.

I really like flip ups when they work but I have now had three (the older Shoei, a BMW 5 and an Evoline 1) and after an initial period of OK performance, all three developed problems with the mechanism/visor. Generally getting stiff and awkward to operate or sloppy and awkward to operate and the visor becoming detached on occasions in all three helmets.

On the basis of that sample I am going back to my Arai Tour-X and waiting until the flip ups get better than they are now.

Certainly makes it look easy???

These comments by flytoolow pretty much match my own experience of the Evoline 2 but I am worried about his problems in moving the chinbar forward whilst riding. It seems to me that Shark are having some quite serious quality control problems with the locking/swivel mechanism on the chinbar. Since buying mine, I have tried on two different Evoline 2 helmets and each one had a problem in chinbar fit and release. I have posted a couple of detailed threads explaining my experiences and have spoken to the importers who seemed surprised and professed ignorance at the problem. :confused:

That said, my own helmet is brilliant and I can easily swing the chinbar forward from its rear position whilst riding. There is a slight security detent which is overcome by modest pressure and then everything works smoothly and safely. One of the two other helmets that I tried needed quite violent sideways 'jiggling' to relase the chinbar in its jet setting. The salesman tried to persuade me that this was normal and a security detail. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

I would strongly urge anyone thinking of buying a Shark Evoline Series 2 either to try on the actual helmet in store or to make sure that the refund policy is unambiguous if distance buying. And flytoolow, I would send yours back and ask for a replacement because your mechanism is not right. Just have a look at this video from WebBikeWorld and check if yours operates the same.

Well looking at the Video it looks a lot easier than my experiences!! I was always seen, just before the rain, clicking or forcing the chinbar. (I kinda figured that the red locking tab had something to do with it...)
Maybe Im doing it wrong, or there is a certain "knack" to doing it. I will have a more closer look tonight and let you know...BUT as an engineer...I only EVER look at the instructions as a last resort! :augie.

I noticed that my clasp is different than the one in the video...mine is more of a ratchet (...which is nice...). Another thing that I noted is that the Visor "seems" smaller than on my Shuberth...maybe it is me and I am just concious of it...but (after 4 days mind...) can see the lower edge of the Visor.

Even with the issues, nit-picking, rants, loves & hates here, its still a good helmet in my opinion. Try one for yourself I doubt you will regret it.

F2L

Well looking at the Video it looks a lot easier than my experiences!! I was always seen, just before the rain, clicking or forcing the chinbar. (I kinda figured that the red locking tab had something to do with it...)
Maybe Im doing it wrong, or there is a certain "knack" to doing it. I will have a more closer look tonight and let you know...BUT as an engineer...I only EVER look at the instructions as a last resort! :augie.

I noticed that my clasp is different than the one in the video...mine is more of a ratchet (...which is nice...). Another thing that I noted is that the Visor "seems" smaller than on my Shuberth...maybe it is me and I am just concious of it...but (after 4 days mind...) can see the lower edge of the Visor.

Even with the issues, nit-picking, rants, loves & hates here, its still a good helmet in my opinion. Try one for yourself I doubt you will regret it.

F2L

When raising the chinbar, it needs pulling forward a smidge to release it prior to swing upwards....:blast.....and then if you want to lock it into place when down again, push it back into the helmet. Its a small movement but critical. :augie The ratchet is a European thing that didn't make it over the Pond.

Back
Top Bottom