Bike Frame welding

DollyRocket

Reaction score
Need a bit of advice....

A mate has a bike frame that has had some spot welds break that hold a top box on to a frame. The spot welds are on the rear subframe of the bike and so the part is not easily removable (without 1/2 day dismantling).

If we disconnect the battery & ECU is it reasonable to weld the frame in-situ (TIG)? I have memories of the Long Way Round vivid in my mind and don't want to make a minor problem into a major one for the sake of a few hours dismantling.

If we disconnect the battery & ECU is it reasonable to weld the frame in-situ (TIG)?

That's what I did and had no problems:thumb...if it has still has the servo/abs fitted I'd have disconnected the plug from that too although don't know if it would have been necessary:)

This subject has already been done to death!

All that matters is a good earh path for the welder. Disconnecting the battery is no advantage. It may also increase the risk of damage. Removing the ECU is pointless.
When I say a good earth path, I mean that when the welding is taking place, the earth should be directly onto the component being welded, and ajacent to it.
Thus, do not clip the welder earth onto a spoke on the front wheel, and try to weld the rear wheel.
If welding a frame, do not clip the earth onto either the battery negative or the engine. Connect it into either onto the piece which is broken off, or ajacent to the point being welded. Do not, for example, clip it to the headstock if welding a rear subframe. Be sure the earth has a good contact with metal, not paint, and away you go.
The tales of electrical failure due to welding are greatly exaggerated.
Such failures are caused by the examples of what not to do as described above.
Myke

Back
Top Bottom