TEST RIDE ON THE 1200

dizzyrascal

Reaction score
Hi

I own a 97 1100 with 46000 miles on the clock,my bike is not standard I have alloy wheels with a 170 rear bridgstone 021 fitted, a Remus end can and a K and N filter.
Being such a nice sunny day I took the oppotunity to test ride the latest GSA, here are some of my thoughts I would be interested in other peoples views.

You cannot really compare the two bikes they are completly different, the current model for me is a very different animal

Things that are better on the 1200 - brakes, seat, suspsension. having said this I am comparing a new bike with one that has covered a few miles !!

Things that are better on the 1100 - Stability, handling, finish. I was supprised that the stability at 80 mph on the 1200 did not feel as sure footed as on the older bike, I found that at this speed the handle bars felt very vague on the 1200 and flapped about a bit. I also felt more buffeting from the wind on the 1200.

These really are different bikes and I am now going to be looking into a better seat for my 1100 the 12 was so much more comfortable in this area.
The 1100 is so much smaller that it feels almost racy by comparision

Would I buy a 1200 !!, yes I would but not as a direct replacement

Anyone else thought along these lines, the 11--- are getting old now and eventually will need replacing.

off topic a bit, I was only thinking on the way to work that the first of the 1100GS's will be coming up on their 20th birthday soon!

I took a 12GSA for a spin and feel that the 1100GS fits me better, but then again, I'm not a big fella. Never took a non-adv 1200 out.

tyres

You have a road tyres on the 1100 - you would need to put knobblies back on to your 1100 to compare it with a 1200GSA?

used my mates 1200 for a few hours this weekend 08/20,000m i think i will keep me olde 1150 with 85000m thankyou.:augie

These really are different bikes and I am now going to be looking into a better seat for my 1100

Anyone else thought along these lines, the 11--- are getting old now and eventually will need replacing.

Try an Airhawk ! :comfort

I've just replaced my 1200 (104k kms) with a low-k 1150 ; how enjoyable to be back on a quality ride again !

Phil

The GSA 1200 that I rode did not have knobblies on, dont get me wrong I am not on a 1200 bashing mission I did enjoy the ride.
The only thing that really concerns me is the stability at 80 mph plus, at this speed the bike moved about at the front and as my main reason to change to a 1200 would be for the supposed improved top end this would negate the reason, my 1100 has never been anything but stable and these speeds.
I even went over the same route after the test with my 1100 where it was worst on an open road where the wind blew up and the 1100 was the as it always is rock steady
I asked the guy in the dealership if he thought that this was unusual but his opinion was that all of the 1200 GS models behave in this way. whats the opinion on this site is this the norm for the 1200 !!

The GSA 1200 that I rode did not have knobblies on,

I stand corrected. But what tyres were on that 19" front rim that would compare to the 021's on your 1100?
BT021, Metzeler Z6 Interact, Conti Road Attack, Dunlop Roadsmart, PR2, Pirelli Angel?

Back
Top Bottom