Opening of new 'Tanger Med' port

Cheers Tim, that's a good price, I paid a lot more than that in 08. Will help knowing what to budget for.

Owe you a :beerjug:

As Tim said, police on board so entry forms filled in and CIN number stamped. Landed and had a passport check off the boat. Rode about 1km to customs. Customs sent us to another police cabin, then back to customs for the on-line import forms to be stamped. Final check of reg no against the import form and we were off. No touts/queues or anything.

If you plan to go towards Tetouan on the motorway you will need to get some Dirhams as it's a peage.

Oh yeah, and we booked online with A-Ferry, and when we arrived at the port found they were on strike and had to stump up 85 Euros to Baleria or spend an extra day in Spain. Good old credit cards.

Shame about Tanja being bypassed completely, love this city, mad, bad and dangerous to know, only place i've ever been pickpocketed, been going there for 20 years hardly ever changes, great place to look out over the old and new, and the best place to be conned scammed and ripped of with a smile ever , a hard and fast class room, wonder how it will change without so many spanish day trippers and tourists to play with

Just got a quote from www.aferry.to of £99 for bike plus two passengers return Algeciras to Tanger Med.

Has anyone got recent ferry prices for this route when booked at the port? Booking online with aferry my best quote is £170 return, bike + 2 people, Algeceiras-Tanger Med. Thanks.

Has anyone got recent ferry prices for this route when booked at the port? Booking online with aferry my best quote is £170 return, bike + 2 people, Algeceiras-Tanger Med. Thanks.

we paid between 62 and 65 euros last week,one bike and rider,sorry cant help with 2 people. hth j

Actual cost was 95.40 Euro bike and rider and 50.90 Euro for the pillion. Open return on the fast ferry. Just turned up and booked at the terminal.

hotels near Tanger Port

Can anyone recommend an hotel near Tanger Med? Arriving on the Barcelona ferry fairly late (17:00) and don't really want to start taking pot luck at that time.
Many thanks

Nothing that I'm aware of. Ksar-es-Seghir is the nearest town, but I've not noticed anything there.

If all you want is somewhere to kip and get an early start the next day, personally I'd hop onto the motorway and check into the Ibis hotel near the Tanger airport (see map on post 1 of this thread).

Hotel near port

Many thanks for your help - I'll probably do that as I don't want to be messing around in the dark looking for somewhere to stay on the first night.
Cheers.

Bike rider and pillion

we paid between 62 and 65 euros last week,one bike and rider,sorry cant help with 2 people. hth j

103 EURO Bike rider and pillion open return algericias to Tan Med about two weeks ago.. I was trying to book direct on the accionia site but it would not accept a non spanish reg.I gave them a bell and was able to complete the trans action over the phone..The bloke on the other end had better English than my Spanish so no problems there... Ref numbers emailed to me which meant I could proceed direct to the check in line at the port and avoid the hassle of the terminal building... As already stated on this thread no hassle when you roll off and no touts... Less confusing than Tanger Ville or Cueta in my opinion.When you are all clear to ride you might want to stop at the terminal building as you can grab some MAD at the ATM. Easy motorway connections to head east or west await you out side..My radiator finally gave up about 50 klicks west but thats another story !

My radiator finally gave up about 50 klicks west but thats another story !

And one I hope we're going to hear about in the ride report section:thumb2
Spent a few days stuck in Chefchaouen with Speggo waiting for a rad and water pump to be fixed on the first Scoots trip.....

Barcelona ferry

With regards ferries, I took the Barcelona to Tanger Med ferry (just got back yesterday) and it was only 234 Euros return, including shared cabin. Considering the distance down through Spain it was a pretty efficient way to travel. However ... it is efficient, but the boats both ways are, em, not exactly luxurious, and the food on the outward leg was stunningly bad and eye-wateringly expensive. The regular passengers come prepared, and I reckon there was a fair degree of cooking going on in the cabins, which is good for safety on board. I also rather naively thought that I may get a cabin to myself - I have never once had to share on the cross channel ferry - but that wasn't to be, and shared with (all within the first hour and a half) a) two Moroccans in full regalia and a Cote d'Ivoirian b) A Cote d'Ivoirian, a Senagalese and a (different) Moroccan c) as above but minus the Morrocan and d) later a knock at the door and a plaintive Frenchman from Paris looking for somewhere to sleep as his roommates were driving him crazy .... however, once the musical bunks were concluded they were a very genial bunch and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip down. Coming back was a lot more dour, and my cabin companions only spoke Arabic and Spanish, so not much conversation there (from me, anyway).

I'm sure that this has been covered before, but I forgot to mention in my previous post that at Tanger Med on the way back I was approached by a port employee, or company employee of some sort with an ID card who wanted my papers including passport, carte gris etc. However, all he does is basically goes over to the ferry company desk and picks up the ticket and a departure form and demanded 100 MAD for the privilege. You don't have to use his services - just park under the shaded parking bit place and go to the ferry office and do it yourself

Back
Top Bottom