Opening of new 'Tanger Med' port

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
The new port of 'Tanger Mediterranean' is coming online this summer in a phased introduction. As from today, 17 May 2010, all ferries from Algeciras that previously went to 'Tanger City' will instead go to 'Tanger Med' which, seeing as it is a shorter crossing, should result in a faster transit.

Ferries from Tarifa, Sète, Barcelona and Genoa will for the moment continue to land at Tanger City, but will transfer to Tanger Med in October.

The map below shows the new ferry route in red. The road links from Tanger Med are excellent with a new motorway (shown in dark blue) connecting the port to the existing A1 motorway heading south to Rabat.

Heading east is a new four-lane highway to Fnediq (next to Ceuta) that then connects to the new motorway to Tetouan.

Tim

Attachments

• tanger-med.jpg
    tanger-med.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 2,793
It's about time :clap

I hope they've upgraded the customs system rather than transferred the chaos that was/is Tanger city......

There's a nice track by the way Tim, a mile or so down the road from the port heading inland that is worth a look :)

Well whoever is the first to use it, can we please have a decent report on the entry system and whether it has improved etc :thumb2

Well whoever is the first to use it, can we please have a decent report on the entry system and whether it has improved etc :thumb2

A few of us went in it last year on the way back from the morocco dash. At the time the entry system was a man in hi-vis with a traffic cone. It was still being built :D And the road over to ceuta was fecking windy...

There's a nice track by the way Tim, a mile or so down the road from the port heading inland that is worth a look :)

If it's the one I'm thinking of I wild camped down there one wet and windy night. Talk about cold!

For anyone who's interested in civil engineering and the like, there's a great thread on the new port on Skyscraper City. Post #70 on the thread shows a passenger train on the link between the passenger terminal at Tanger Med and the recently opened Tanger Ville station (in Tanger) with trains every two hours. From 2013 the Tanger Ville station will host Morocco's first TGV links, with a target of cutting the transit time to Casablanca from nearly six hours to just over two.

Tanger City port will concentrate in future on cruise ships and the development of a marina.

Tim

Thanks for that Tim...a good find...I head back in Sept for about 6weeks off roading...hopefully someone can post as to what they find in the way of getting thru customs...in comparison to the normal Tanger debacle
:)

Im gonna give this crossing a go when i go over in July will give a report on my return:thumb

Entered via Tanger Med yesterday. Police passport control on board ship with check as you disembark that you have been stamped. Then you ride about 1 km to the customs. Happy smiling faces, not a tout in sight.

I had a new passport, hence a new police control number so I had to visit a police cabin first whilst I was entered on the computer, then the customs stamped my temporary bike import form, and that was it.

Thats decided it for then im gonna use this entry when i go next week. Cheers Tim:thumb

Entered via Tanger Med yesterday. Police passport control on board ship with check as you disembark that you have been stamped. Then you ride about 1 km to the customs. Happy smiling faces, not a tout in sight.

I had a new passport, hence a new police control number so I had to visit a police cabin first whilst I was entered on the computer, then the customs stamped my temporary bike import form, and that was it.

that all sounds alot easier than the stories i`ve been hearing,can you tell me afew things tim. do you still fill in your temp import docs for bike before you go? and how much was the ferry crossing and any more details as where did you leave from etc would make it simple fora group of first timers going in 6 weeks. cheers tim..

that all sounds alot easier than the stories i`ve been hearing,can you tell me afew things tim. do you still fill in your temp import docs for bike before you go? and how much was the ferry crossing and any more details as where did you leave from etc would make it simple fora group of first timers going in 6 weeks. cheers tim..

Google Morocco Ferries and select Algeciras to Tangier Med crossing. Select dates and get a quote.

Google Morocco Ferries and select Algeciras to Tangier Med crossing. Select dates and get a quote.
Yeah but is that a 'set in stone price'....If you did that with P&O ferries from Hull, you would pay twice as much.

The price I paid in 2008 seemed very expensive for such a quick crossing and it would be a great help to people if those that have travelled this route a lot would please give a price they paid insted of being vague, after all, it is a big part of your overall budget.

Yeah but is that a 'set in stone price'....If you did that with P&O ferries from Hull, you would pay twice as much.

The price I paid in 2008 seemed very expensive for such a quick crossing and it would be a great help to people if those that have travelled this route a lot would please give a price they paid insted of being vague, after all, it is a big part of your overall budget.

We did Algeciras-Ceuta last year and did get an online quote before we left the UK but didn't book it (£148 I think). When we got to the ticket booths (about 10 in a row next to each other) it worked out cheaper to buy at the Port (£130) open return.

I booked through www.aferry.to and paid something like £65 return bike and rider Algeciras to Tanger Med using Acciona Trasmediterranea.

I set the return date way in the future, no problem when I returned earlier.

Yes, completed import forms online per thread on this forum.

I booked through www.aferry.to and paid something like £65 return bike and rider Algeciras to Tanger Med using Acciona Trasmediterranea.

I set the return date way in the future, no problem when I returned earlier.

Yes, completed import forms online per thread on this forum.

thanks tim,have down loaded some of your routes aswell, will look into the ferry, once again many thanks and to all others.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom