Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple, NO COST servo removal of 1150 IABS system

Simple, NO COST servo removal of 1150 IABS system

The brake failure I had on holiday was terminal as I expected - fried circuit board in the ABS ECU.

Yesterday I performed a 'servoectomy' and have decided to post the procedures in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation.
    The servo removal and reconnection of pipework and electrics was carried out using existing parts only - it has cost me absolutely nothing apart from time and a few consumables.

Start with removal of the servo system itself together with redundant metal pipework - been documented on here numerous times and is relatively straightforward.
    Reconnect the rear brake hose directly to the top of the master cylinder using the domed hex head brake fitting

Remove both flexible hoses and both rigid metal pipes from the front distribution piece,
    Remove distribution piece - you will notice a small 'tag' on the reverse which locates against the frame and effectively fixes the orientation of the bracket.
    By grinding/filing off this tag it is possible to realign the distribution piece as per the attached photograph and connect the two flexible hoses together using the existing connectors in the top metal socket (the one with two holes the same size).

That's the brakes reconnected - now bleed and sort the electrics to give you a brake and tail light again.

This is a piece of proverbial despite what others may have written about it - you dont even need any extra parts !!

1) Remove the blue ABS relay from the fusebox. This will extinguish the 'Brake Failure' warning light on the dash and as a bonus can be used to operate the brake light !! (no need for new switches as in other methods )
    2) Strip back the sheathing from the ABS multi pin connector - identify wires and connect as follows
    a) Grey/White wire (tail light feed) Grey/Black wire (12v feed) cut both and join together - thats your tail light sorted.
    b) White/Yellow wire (front brake switch) and Yellow/Green wire (rear brake switch). Cut these two wires and join them to link brake switches
    Now the wiring to the redundant 4 pin ABS relay
    c) Pin 1 - Connect white/blue wire
    d) Pin 2 - connect the THIN solid brown wire in the loom to provide a ground ( careful here - there are several brown wires c/w coloured traces and a Thick brown wire)
    e) Pin 3 - Find the Yellow/Black wire and the solid green wire. Cut and connect these together and then to pin 3 of the relay
    f) Pin 4 - Connect grey/yellow (tail light feed) to this pin

That all there is to it - you now have working brakes and lights.

I tidied things up by cutting and isolating all remaing wires on the ABS plug.

I have located the relay on the back of the battery under the seat so it can easily be changed if needed,

May consider fitteng some braided steel lines in due course, but for now, the bike is up and running, without any cost or waiting for parts - this may just help someone 'in the field' in the future

Dave H

::.Edit.::
    Alternative less invasive method is available with Pictures @ post 195 here
    Attached Images Attached Images      

good post

Quote Originally Posted by D6 View Post
    good post
    Certainly is

any chance this could be made a sticky in the tech section,

very helpful

And the symptoms were ....

In case it may be of use to anyone else, the failure symptoms of the servo were a 'brake failure' light constantly illuminated. Lower 'Triangle' warning light not illuminated.

Servo failed to initialise when ignition cycled.
    GS911 diagnostics failed to communicate with either the ABS ECU or the Motronic (engine) ECU.

Test of the GS911 interface gave a 'K Line Stuck Low' message which disappeared when ABS was unplugged - the result of a short or other fault pulling the K-line to earth in the ABS unit.

Once ABS plug was disconnected, the GS911 could read the Motronic as normal.

Dave H

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    good post take the fright out of having to do this

how are you finding the performance of the brakes without the servo ?
    Dont Bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post

Agreed and excellent simple, no messing post, for some it's almost worth printing off and keeping in the fuse box while on trips

I removed my servo/abs last week and find the brakes much better.
    This is the 2nd time I've done it to a bike that hasn't had a problem in the first place.
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Agreed and excellent simple, no messing post, for some it's almost worth printing off and keeping in the fuse box while on trips

I removed my servo/abs last week and find the brakes much better.
    This is the 2nd time I've done it to a bike that hasn't had a problem in the first place.
    i know this is a bit limp would there be any insurance implacations from doing this?

i know this is a bit limp would there be any insurance implacations from doing this?
    I don't know, but didn't tell them it had a servo/abs in the first place........mine must have both been a special order SE
    KEA

I don't know, but didn't tell them it had a servo/abs in the first place........mine must have both been a special order SE
    thats a moot point

im not looking to remove but if it goes tits up then this is an easy no cost out

Aging 1 eyed Tosser Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    told Carol Nash I had removed mine(as its listed as standard fitment)
    no increase in premium,they said they would note it on my file
    mummy mummy is dad dead?
    no son hes out riding that bloody bike

whats that you say?
    I've no idea as I've been out riding my bike..

Quote Originally Posted by Shapeshifter View Post
    told Carol Nash I had removed mine(as its listed as standard fitment)
    no increase in premium,they said they would note it on my file

ive never had abs on my 1150s

i had abs/servo on an 1150rt, never again, drove me mad, both my gs's have never had abs,and the brakes are very powerful,i would never order a new bike with abs,only old tarts have abs.
    Al Jesse panniers for sale , With racks to fit a 1200 GS /GSA Air cooled £400 posted. Will fit other bikes, but will need new racks.

No. AFAIK insurance companies can't tell if your vehicle has ABS from the ehicle reg. As the R1150GS came in non abs and abs forms as long as you do an appropriate conversion (i.e. BMW parts, make sure its decent not bodged) then your covered.

If I get asked I say no.

FWIW I crashed my bike in Jan. Servo has been removed. Examiner went over it in fine details (as they wanted to write it off). Nothing was said about servo as it was clearly missing with a large plug sitting where it should have been.

Now I didn't bring the point up but they paid out ok and even BMW didn't say anything. Thought the mechanics were interested in to how I did it.

Had a good chance to test em now. Dont know if the servo was not operating correctly for some time, but without it the brakes actually feel sharper !!

bags more feel, bags of stopping power and no bl**dy elctrics to worry about.

Only downside is no ABS ...

Dave H

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Had a good chance to test em now. Dont know if the servo was not operating correctly for some time, but without it the brakes actually feel sharper !!

bags more feel, bags of stopping power and no bl**dy elctrics to worry about.

Only downside is no ABS ...

Dave H
    good result then

ABS is just a bit of an extra insurance policy really, when i had my KTM the abs was a nightmare alway kicking in and far to sensitive for my liking.

i ride the GSA pretty hard at times and its only kicked in on the rear once or twice in 23k

at least with out the servo you will have more feel with low speed braking

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast