Thread: 100RT silencer bracket rust

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

100RT silencer bracket rust

As can be seen the left hand bracket is half missing on the horizontal part, rusted away. Could this be rectified at the weekend? Is there kit available to do this? before I was made redundant I guillotined some 16 gauge strips, for this purpose, a bit oversize to what is needed, as I'm not sure if it will need to be welded flush, or folded and welded. This plate needs drilling and slotting as well, to match the original mounting design. Is there a pillar drill on site and hacksaw?
    1150GS , Yamaha FJ1200. Moto Guzzi California 3.

I've had a closer look today, and have sprayed said area with plus gas.

It looks as if the silencers have studs in and nuts lock the silencers to the bracket, but as it's rusty, it's not easy to tell.
    If they're nuts, I'll need a nut splitter to remove them! But, I very much doubt if a nut splitter would get into that confined space

I think I'm shafted It looks as if the action of removing the silencers will damage them?

Now fed up

Thrower of cats at pigeons Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ELIMINATOR View Post
    I've had a closer look today, and have sprayed said area with plus gas.

It looks as if the silencers have studs in and nuts lock the silencers to the bracket, but as it's rusty, it's not easy to tell.
    If they're nuts, I'll need a nut splitter to remove them! But, I very much doubt if a nut splitter would get into that confined space

I think I'm shafted It looks as if the action of removing the silencers will damage them?

Now fed up

Stop messing about with the bike. Just get on it and ride it to Devon. The collective will give their invaluable oppinion then.

You're right, the silencer is bolted to the bracket. Just need a bit of heat.

Val.
    You know!?, it's the people who live in the land that always seem to make it more beautiful than it already appears.

Yup, you're right, see you soon

Shedi Knight Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    i had a similar problem / solved it without a nut splitter / used a dremel mini drill with a metal grinding disc.

mind you - you need the dexterity of a gynaeocologist to do it!
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close