Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I piggin give in..who's up for a proper fords ride???

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Ok, I piggin give in..who's up for a proper fords ride???

I'm not going to get any over the weekend unless I do one, so I'll be coming out of fording retirement for this Hograost to run another fords ride

(I put a very half hearted post up a week or so ago just so I could say 'I've posted it dear, nobody's interested' but I've been rumbled )

I'll post some piccies in the next few mins, but they are usually slightly more fun that watching paint dry, less painful than a hardcore offroad ride and people have been known to have a giggle occasionally

further details to come as i find my old GDB files and some pics, but as long as there are a few people who want to do it, it's on

सत्यमेव जयते

A couple of threads from previous year's Hugmoist fords rides....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=fords

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=fords

Route is only approximately 90 miles, but if you'd like to come, PLEASE START THE RIDE WITH A FULL TANK!

Route and fords should be fine for road tyres and bike bikes, including pillions (I'll be two up) and there are dry routes/ways around the fords if there's one you particularly don't fancy.

Cameras are a must.

We'll be using the drop-off system, as we have to go through some towns and lots of little turnings in lanes, but I'll do a full brief before we set off.

There will be a pub lunch approx half way around.

The pace will be 'Bimble+', as it's a nice day out with a few giggles, a social thing rather than a race...if you want to go fast or show off, this isn't for you

We'll be leaving the carpark at approx 10.30, but I'll be gobbing off loudly in plenty of time to gather people up before that, so please listen out and let me know if you're coming

We'll be back in plenty of time for the hogroast itself (i'll cut it short if we're getting on a bit, or add another one if we'll be back too early)

सत्यमेव जयते

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post

Route is only approximately 90 miles, but if you'd like to come, PLEASE START THE RIDE WITH A FULL TANK!

If only to increase the chances of some good photos
    KEA

Should be a bit lower this year, unless there's floods before

The piccy is of Winster Ford http://www.wetroads.co.uk/dp.php?Winster Ford1 yesterday (bit far I know from Andover):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John.......a couple of years ago, we did the millpond/stream one , and as it's one you can't walk (its too bloody long..you ride in, ride along 300m, then exit around the edges of a mill pond that's VERY deep) people were asking me how deep it was.....

I waved my hands around in front of me, indicating about a foot or so, and It turned out to be an 'interesting' ride through....an inch below the level of a GS air intake IIRC.....(you can ride water that's about 6 inches deeper if you know how, but thats another story

I've given up trying to estimate depth.....we walk all (bar that one) first and I'll go through it first so people know.....if it's above knee height, we don't do it.

In the briefing, I will make it very clear that you can KILL your GS if you drop it, drown it and try and start it again without clearing the water, and if/when someone does drop a bike in the wet stuff, we'll all pull it out, pull the plugs and sort it before risking trying anything.

That said, riding through fords isn't for those who are ever-so precious about their bikes or don't appreciate the risks.

Its a fekking good giggle though
    सत्यमेव जयते

We're just about on a drought up here, hence the lack of depth of Winster. The first ford ride I ever did, when it was nearer the depth in the piccy in the link Some entertainment for the watchers then the fords this year should be relatively low, but will the lack of water make them slippier?

.....if it's above knee height, we don't do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by John Armstrong View Post
    We're just about on a drought up here, hence the lack of depth of Winster. The first ford ride I ever did, when it was nearer the depth in the piccy in the link Some entertainment for the watchers then the fords this year should be relatively low, but will the lack of water make them slippier?

Unlikely on these ones...nearly all are gravel bottomed trout stream type fords, rather than the rocky algae covered ones we get in Wales

For a 'beginner's fording day', I'd have to say this is the best out of all the events I've run fords rides out of......it's not particularly challenging, but it's good fun and the ride is nice too.

सत्यमेव जयते

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post

With you on the rally bike with it's suspension set so high your little hairy Welsh leggies don't even touch the ground, I look forwards to seeing you take the shortest route across the millpond
    सत्यमेव जयते

I'll be with you in spirit, hope all only get as wet as they want

With you on the rally bike with it's suspension set so high your little hairy Welsh leggies don't even touch the ground, I look forwards to seeing you take the shortest route across the millpond
    He he. I'm doing the offroad ride.

But can say I've done several Ford rides with Bill and it's great fun....either do it, or bimble around Hampshire on your adventure bike, stopping occasionally for ice creams
    KEA

सत्यमेव जयते

(no longer Pink) Click here to find out how to Subscribe

I can't wait

plump ones ARE more juicy!

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    is that last picture at Moreton ?
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Yup - got to get over my last £5K mistake,.............
    2008 R1200GSA
    "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much" Oscar Wilde
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"Albert Einstein
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."Albert Einstein

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    is that last picture at Moreton ?
    No, just checked.

This is moreton. With a very nice cafe the other side, where you can sit and have lunch while the bikes that have been pulled out can dry .

All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast