transfargan highway

any idea if open in august
& which is the best way to ride north to south
or the other way round

It was open but difficult in early June this year. Shouldn't be a problem in August. Road heading South to Lake is good so sensible people go from Sibiu Road to Lake and then turn round. Road South of Lake isn't good...fine as part of a full day on the right bike out but not good if it's part of your route and you need to make progress.

Just come back. Drove from North to south and road clear all the way - apart from the crap surface from the top to the dam. The road from the dam southwards has some spectacular views as well. Carried on to Pitesti then turned back north on the road up to Brasov. Spectacular drive in parts.

My wife made it on a 650CS so it must have been OK.

...apart from the crap surface from the top to the dam.

You're making out it's only 'crap'. It's actually the worst damned tarmac road I've ever ridden on! It shook the battery lead off my mate's KTM!

IMG_0478.jpg

Greg

It shook the battery lead off my mate's KTM!

Maybe that explains why some of the wiring caught fire on my wife's 650 CS a few days later.

Attachments

• P1010465.jpg
    P1010465.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 443
  • P1010362_2.jpg
    P1010362_2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 435
  • P1010353.jpg
    P1010353.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 428
  • P1010361_2.jpg
    P1010361_2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 448
Low visibility

If I had my time again, South to North towards Sibiu ........and check the weather forecast first !......see pictures

The road from the dam to the top is s**te with loads of pot holes and loose gravel on bends :eek:

Attachments

• trans 2.jpg
    trans 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 402
  • transfagarasan.jpg
    transfagarasan.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 688
The road from the dam to the top is s**te with loads of pot holes and loose gravel on bends

Shiite is being quite kind, especially on the bits that have collapsed down the mountain and the warning consists of a lump of old rusty armco ACROSS the road in front of the hole - but it actually gets quite good after leaving the lake areas.

Bottom line is that if I could get back tomorrow and do it again I would. Amazing road.

I could understand some of the complaints about the road and the state it's in if you had been riding sports bikes in Western Europe. BUT you're riding an adventure bike in Eastern Europe in what was till recently one of the poorest countries out there!!
I've ridden the Transfag 7 or 8 times and driven it twice and to me it is one of the greatest roads anywhere.
A road that the GS was built for (and the Landcruiser:thumb2 ). Good tarmac with perfect radius curves mixed with bits that are almost like off roading. All with stunning views and the real Dracula's castle thrown in!!
From what I've read above it sounds like most of you are the type who go to McDonalds and complain about the quality of the steak!!!:D

Oh, and by Romanian standards the Transfag is smooth as silk:D Try the Danube Gorge or any of the higher routes in the far North then you'll know what pot holes are!!! All fantastic roads though and well worth the ride:thumb

I wasn't quite sure what to expect having read this thread but we had a fantastic time coming from N to S on Saturday (28th August); 'we' includes SWMBO on the back. I think most of Romania must agree as it was very VERY busy - we struggled to get through the crowds and parked cars in places but in others there were fewer vehicles. The surface wasn't that bad between the lake and dam but I doubt we'd have enjoyed it so much if we hadn't been on the GS.

We were planning to ride back up it tomorow when I suspect it will be a lot less busy but it looks like it will be raining and if it is I suspect the experience won't be the same.

Kevin

I could understand some of the complaints about the road and the state it's in if you had been riding sports bikes in Western Europe. BUT you're riding an adventure bike in Eastern Europe in what was till recently one of the poorest countries out there!!
I've ridden the Transfag 7 or 8 times and driven it twice and to me it is one of the greatest roads anywhere.
A road that the GS was built for (and the Landcruiser:thumb2 ). Good tarmac with perfect radius curves mixed with bits that are almost like off roading. All with stunning views and the real Dracula's castle thrown in!!
From what I've read above it sounds like most of you are the type who go to McDonalds and complain about the quality of the steak!!!:D

Oh, and by Romanian standards the Transfag is smooth as silk:D Try the Danube Gorge or any of the higher routes in the far North then you'll know what pot holes are!!! All fantastic roads though and well worth the ride:thumb

It was the highlight of my trip to Romania - Spectacular road.

:beerjug:

I doubt we'd have enjoyed it so much if we hadn't been on the GS.

When we got back a couple of weeks back my wife's first task, before getting some food in the house, was to order a new GS. She did the Transfagarasan on a CS and decided it was not really the bike for Romanian roads.

We now have panniers in hallway and some Touratech bits being delivered this week so now just waiting till Saturday to pick up the bike.

Spectacular ride on my GSA though.

Spectacular ride on my GSA though.

Off topic I know but I have every intention of changing our GS for a GSA next year when 2nd-hand 2010 models should be around. I really like the GS but I want better range.

Kevin

We did north to south saturday also, I think we may have passed you sat in a cafe, did the wave bit:D
We enjoyed the road but it would be better to do on a weekday I reckon, evry romanian and their grannie was up there on saturday:eek:

I wasn't quite sure what to expect having read this thread but we had a fantastic time coming from N to S on Saturday (28th August); 'we' includes SWMBO on the back. I think most of Romania must agree as it was very VERY busy - we struggled to get through the crowds and parked cars in places but in others there were fewer vehicles. The surface wasn't that bad between the lake and dam but I doubt we'd have enjoyed it so much if we hadn't been on the GS.

We were planning to ride back up it tomorow when I suspect it will be a lot less busy but it looks like it will be raining and if it is I suspect the experience won't be the same.

Kevin

We didn't stop while on the road so it wasn't us you saw but please consider yourself waved at anyway :). It was a bit busy wasn't it!

Compare and contrast...

4945143153_dfc2bba782_z.jpg

28th August 2010

4945143407_0f5861f3b9_z.jpg

31st August 2010

The few cars that were on the road today were moving VERY slowly. Thank God for SatNav that helped me get past them.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom