Lack of ferries from Scotland.

AberdeenAngus

Reaction score
It's now impossible to get a ferry from Scotland across the north North Sea.
You can't sail from Scotland to Iceland, Faroes, Norway or Denmark.

You can get from Denmark to the Faroes & Iceland, and the ferry sails past the Shetlands but doesn't call in. Madness.
It would mean a 1000+ mile detour for me to visit some of our nearest neighbours.

I've written to Smyril lines, my MSP and the Shetland council suggesting the Denmark/Faroes/Iceland ferry should call in at Shetland once a week for a trial period to test interest.

What do you folks think ?
Would you use a Aberdeen/Lerwick/Faroes/Iceland service ?

Absolutly:thumb
Might be worth writing to Tavish Scott as well. He has strong links with the Islands and with Norway as well. Once had a wee drink (or three) with him at a Scotland / Norway trade thing in Bergen and he was very keen on these links:beerjug:

Indeed.
I suspect that answer would be that there wouldn't be enough people that would use it.
However, here we are with a Ferry from Rosyth (a half hour away from here) that we're going to ride past in order to get to Newcastle/IJmuiden.
The truck companies don't like it as their drivers are idle for too many hours. 22 hours on that route is crazy when Superfast did it easily in 4 less. The price is just crazy. Two people into a four person cabin...
It must be on borrowed time because of that. Surely they are aware of the amount of people going south to DFDS at Newcastle.

Indeed.
I suspect that answer would be that there wouldn't be enough people that would use it.
However, here we are with a Ferry from Rosyth (a half hour away from here) that we're going to ride past in order to get to Newcastle/IJmuiden.
The truck companies don't like it as their drivers are idle for too many hours. 22 hours on that route is crazy when Superfast did it easily in 4 less. The price is just crazy. Two people into a four person cabin...
It must be on borrowed time because of that. Surely they are aware of the amount of people going south to DFDS at Newcastle.

I used the Hull/Zeebrugge route last month for the same reasons...price is just daft:(
There is loads of frieght going between Aberdeen and Stavanger every day so I would guess lorry based freight would be high enough to merit a service alone, never mind people and cars etc. I reckon there would be good demand on both sides of the route? :thumb

Smyril used to use Scrabster (Thurso), Lerwick then Faroes and Iceland.

They binned Scrabster and lerwick as it wasn't worth their while.

Which ****ed my plans to see my lot on Shetland and then go onto Faroes and Iceland somewhat....

Can't see how any operator would be willing to stick their neck out after Smyril couldn't make it viable

Been bouncing e-mails with the Sales Director at Smyril.
He reckons they dropped the Shetland connection a couple of years back because of lack of demand.

I pointed out that, at the time, other operators were crossing the North Sea too but that now......nothing, no competition.

But surely the Sales Director would have thought of that......wouldn't he ?

would've been real nice for us - not long back from a month in Scandinavia - actually 3 weeks cos it took us four days to get from Glasgow to Oslo via Harwich & Copenhagen, then three days on the return. once upon a time it was couple hours to Newcastle, then an overnight to Norway/Sweden. when over there we met plenty people who'd want to come visit Scotland, but don't because there's no direct link.

I tried getting in touch with a marine transport firm in Leith to see about sending bikes over on pallets (or in a container if enough folk were interested.) Then flying over. No response. This thread reminds me to nip down there and bend someone's ear. Will post any info I get.

I tried getting in touch with a marine transport firm in Leith to see about sending bikes over on pallets (or in a container if enough folk were interested.) Then flying over. No response. This thread reminds me to nip down there and bend someone's ear. Will post any info I get.

Try Executive Freight in Aberdeen. We send loads of palleted equipment to Stavanger and Bergen weekly and have stuff coming the other way and they handle all this. There used to be two boats per week Weds and Sat but check with them. Richard I think is the manager. There are direct flight from Aberdeen to Stavanger and Bergen as well.:thumb
web link http://www.raexecfreight.co.uk/

I'm off to Zeebrugge next month, but from Hull. Not only was the price from Rosyth numbing but considering that the journey is but starting, to arrive in Zeebrugge at mid day is just too late.
Their loss!
Andy

I'm off to Zeebrugge next month, but from Hull. Not only was the price from Rosyth numbing but considering that the journey is but starting, to arrive in Zeebrugge at mid day is just too late.
Their loss!
Andy

Its a bit of a trek down to Hull but it was worth it for me + P&O were excellent all round, getting the bikes on and off first etc. Pub staff were good and the food was excellent as well:thumb Pre-book your dinner and breakfasts, also worth taking some ratchet straps in your panniers for tying down the bike instead of the bits of rope on the boat:D

Their loss!
Andy

I think it's actually later than midday that it berths.

I'm booked for a September crossing with DFDS. Me and wife with bike and with a cabin both ways. £230.

As a comparison, I tried Rosyth for the same dates and they wanted over £850 :blast

I think it's actually later than midday that it berths.

I'm booked for a September crossing with DFDS. Me and wife with bike and with a cabin both ways. £230.

As a comparison, I tried Rosyth for the same dates and they wanted over £850 :blast

I checked prices for last year, taking motorhome and bike on trailer. Just motorhome from Rosyth, almost £1000! With trailer from Dover to Calais - £250, 75% cheaper. Guess how we travelled!

I know it hasn't happened but I thought that Norfolk line was pulling out of Rosyth this year and the route had been sold to DFDS however that never went ahead... It was in the papers alot when it was announced but I've not seen anything else since. The Norfolk line is a joke from Rosyth which is such a shame as Superfast was great. DFDS from Newcastle is the way forward:thumb2 Its a pity the ferry to Norway stopped from Newcastle, i've been on that loads of times and it was great

Try Executive Freight in Aberdeen. We send loads of palleted equipment to Stavanger and Bergen weekly and have stuff coming the other way and they handle all this. There used to be two boats per week Weds and Sat but check with them. Richard I think is the manager. There are direct flight from Aberdeen to Stavanger and Bergen as well.:thumb
web link http://www.raexecfreight.co.uk/

Feck me, a happy customer for Executive, suppose there had to be one somewhere.

cut out the middle man, if you want to talk about sea freight to Norway, call these folk. Offices in various locations

http://www.sea-cargo.no/

Been in touch with Shetland council asking if there were any plans on the horizon for an onward connection from Lerwick.
Got this back...

.....Shetland Islands Council and ZetTrans recognise the benefits that such a service would bring to Shetland and Scotland. It is unfortunate that Smyril Line chose to cease calling in Shetland around 2007. As you say, their vessel passes very close to Shetland a number of times each week on her current schedule but they claim that the reason for not calling is the additional costs associated with calling in to Shetland.

The Shetland Transport Strategy prepared by ZetTrans recognised the benefits of a ferry service across the North Sea and includes an action to pursue options to deliver one.

A lot of work went into the NORSHUKON project a couple of years ago which was proposing a service from Mid Norway to Rosyth and Zeebrugge with calls in Shetland. This service was tendered and a preferred operator appointed but the service did not start when expected EU funding did not materialise. This project is still ongoing and may be able to commence in the future if support for start up funding can be secured.

There was a separate but linked proposal to use one of the Northlink freight ships to carry out a seasonal weekend sailing to Norway during her scheduled lay over periods in Shetland.

ZetTrans has a proposal to encourage the purchase of a purpose built freight ship with passenger carrying capability to provide a weekend Norwegian trip and to augment the existing service between Shetland and the Scottish Mainland.

Unfortunately, none of the above has yet resulted in a service starting but I hope it demonstrates that there are attempts being made to provide the type of service you suggest. We continue to work with Scottish Government and others to create opportunities to establish a Scandinavian link.
Thank you for contacting us. It is useful to receive your comments to support our belief in this ferry service.

Kind regards,
Michael Craigie

Head of Transport
Shetland Islands Council
20 Commercial Road
Lerwick
Shetland
ZE1 0LX

So, fingers crossed. I like the idea of combined cargo/passenger vessels.
They could end up going to all kinds of out-of-the-way places.

I also get the feeling that, the more people that write to Mr Craigie, telling him they want such a service, the better.

I'd be interesting in hearing how much a pallet to Bergen from Aberdeen would cost.
I've checked the flights and a return from Aberdeen to Bergen with Wideroe is about £190.

I did a tour of the Fjords a couple of years ago and it was great.
Would be up for that again.

Or, anyone fancy doing Nordkapp ?

Its a bit of a trek down to Hull but it was worth it for me + P&O were excellent all round, getting the bikes on and off first etc. Pub staff were good and the food was excellent as well:thumb Pre-book your dinner and breakfasts, also worth taking some ratchet straps in your panniers for tying down the bike instead of the bits of rope on the boat:D

Got one! and a foam mat to protect the saddle! I also have a couple of straps that are used to tie new bikes to their pallets - just in case.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom