Daytona Road Star GTX Boots are…

Dellis

Reaction score
...you decide.

I spent my £299.99 expecting to be buying a boot that would offer excellent protection however, what I ended up with was a pair of comfy boots that offer questionable *protection. I'll fill you in with the details, I bought my new boots late last year and found them to be waterproof, comfy but not as warm as I'd expected but all was well until early in May where Sandra and I had an unfortunate off at around 60mph. The bike slid along the road and flopped over on hitting the grass verge, Sandra and I were a bit battered, our clothing showed serious signs of sliding down the road but was intact and did what was required of it. Now we come to the boots, the zip had burst and my foot was out of the boot but unharmed, I'm assuming that my foot came out as I came to rest. I'm only glad we weren't going 20mph faster!
I have written to complain about the level of safety the boots offer and have been given fairly short shrift basically being told "you're ok so they did their job" which I accept to a point the point being don't rely on your Datonas protecting you if you are unfortunate to have an off at over 60mph.*
In conclusion I feel fairly hard done to after spending over £100 more than I have ever spent on a pair of boots and getting nothing extra for my money. And yes I have put other boots to the crash test and none have ever performed as poorly as these.*
Oh mustn't forget, Daytona are fixing them FOC as a gesture of good will. I've not decided as yet if I'll wear them again.*

Dave

Daytona are used to be great re- warranty work and stuff.

Are you dealing with the U.K importer or Germany?

:type

I've never rated their road touring boots. I tried several pairs of Trans Open at one point and none of them fitted my feet properly. They were far too baggy and the uppers all felt much too soft and pliable for a "dual-sport" boot. They do make a supermoto boot but that's not imported into the UK and the styling is a bit questionable.

If you want boots which are designed to stay on your feet in an off, then Altbergs are pretty good at that. They did a lot of work at one point with North Yorks Police on the issue. Having said that, if I was going racing it'd be hard to see past a pair of Security Evos, apart from the price! :eek:

an FOC fix after YOU crashed in them and you're still moaning??? :rolleyes:

Will you be suing your tyre manufacturer next?

I'm dealing with the UK but the repair isn't the issue it's the failure I have a problem with.

Dave

I had a 60mph slide down the road and I expect the boots to work not fall apart. The FOC repair is irrelevant. I don't want anything out of this I'm just warning others.

Dave

I've never rated their road touring boots. I tried several pairs of Trans Open at one point and none of them fitted my feet properly. They were far too baggy and the uppers all felt much too soft and pliable for a "dual-sport" boot. They do make a supermoto boot but that's not imported into the UK and the styling is a bit questionable.

If you want boots which are designed to stay on your feet in an off, then Altbergs are pretty good at that. They did a lot of work at one point with North Yorks Police on the issue. Having said that, if I was going racing it'd be hard to see past a pair of Security Evos, apart from the price! :eek:

Altbergs are probably what I'll go for.

Dave

I've had roadstars for 8 years and about 50k miles, and I'm just now running in a replacement pair of exactly the same boots. In that time a friend of mine is on his 3rd pair of sidi's because they're cheaper!!

I'd have to agree with daytona. You fall off at 60 on the road and they did there job and you're intact so what are you complaining about!! You expect them to do that and still be perfect :nenau

And then to get a foc repair shows just how bloody good they are as a company.

Can't see how much more you could reasonably expect from them, and in fact I reckon you should be singing their praises not dissing them.

i have gtx and moto x boots
still broke both feet at 30 ish mph with mx boots
:mad:
so for my 10 pence
dont crash :blast
broken-metatarsals-21146372.jpg

Probably, but I'd blame the wife:toungincheek

Its PPE man, its done the job, I'd moan if if it hadn't rather than winge it has:comfort

I've had a 1 tonne weight dropped on my foot at work, my safety boots did their job and saved my toes, boots were wrecked (mind the stitching came undone on the seam of the boot, twatish boots I'll not get them again) :blast

I am at a total loss to understand why some people on her think I'm in the wrong. The point of wearing motorcycle boots is to protect your feet, yes I agree that my foot was ok but my foot was outside the boot as I came to rest, if I'd have been travelling faster then I would have damaged my foot this is what I am concerned about. I expect my gear to take the brunt of a fall and I expect it to need replacing but it needs to stay on! My gloves didn't come off neither did my jacket, leather trousers or helmet.

Maybe I should have described the failure in more detail. The Road Star boot has two zips, one on the inside of the leg and one on the outside of the leg the outer zip being the longer. The failure was very simple in that the zip pulled was pulled off the top of the zip which resulted in the zip opening and my foot coming out. The problem is that there is no flap to protect the zip and that the zip is on the outside of the rather than the inside. The next pair of boots I but will have the zip on the inner leg and will be protected by a leather flap.

Still you are all entitled to your opinions I posted my experience as a warning to others. Accidents happen and you need your gear to work! The last time I was off on the road prior to this was in 1987, I ride between 15,000 and 20,000 miles a year in all weathers. What I'm trying to say here is that you don't get to test the safety aspect of your gear until use it for protection.

And just for complete clarification I am after nothing, the f.o.c. repair is totally irrelevant as I am not warning you about poor service but the lack of protection offered by a boot that costs £300 from a manufacturer that states on their website "The quality of daytona® motorbike boots does not only pay off in long terms, it rather is the prerequisite for our high safety standard".

Oh and the boots were unmarked apart from the missing zip puller so I'm guessing they didn't have too rough a time.

Dave

Probably, but I'd blame the wife:toungincheek

Its PPE man, its done the job, I'd moan if if it hadn't rather than winge it has:comfort

I've had a 1 tonne weight dropped on my foot at work, my safety boots did their job and saved my toes, boots were wrecked (mind the stitching came undone on the seam of the boot, twatish boots I'll not get them again) :blast

That is not the same point. Your boots stayed on your feet mine didn't! As they were not on my foot I'd have had problems if I'd been going faster as at some point the boot would have been off my foot and I'd have been rubbing against the tarmac.

I am happy for the protective clothing I wear to be destroyed, that's not what I'm unhappy about.

Dave

I've had roadstars for 8 years and about 50k miles, and I'm just now running in a replacement pair of exactly the same boots. In that time a friend of mine is on his 3rd pair of sidi's because they're cheaper!!

I'd have to agree with daytona. You fall off at 60 on the road and they did there job and you're intact so what are you complaining about!! You expect them to do that and still be perfect :nenau

And then to get a foc repair shows just how bloody good they are as a company.

Can't see how much more you could reasonably expect from them, and in fact I reckon you should be singing their praises not dissing them.

I expect them to stay on my feet, why is this so difficult to understand?

Dave

I too have a pair of Daytona's . They have been very comfy,waterproof etc.
I have been fortunate in that i have not had an off with them.I totally agree with Dellis, the boot could be totally wrecked,unusable again ,it wouldn't matter as long as it saved the foot, But in my mind it has to stay on .The foot coming out of the boot at a relatively slow speed is very poor,Or a freek accident? Indeed it is very fortunate the speed in this case was not higher or there is no doubt the foot would have been in a sorry state.Plent of other boots on the market i would definately be looking for an alternative.

just read this with interest as i bought a pair of roadstar GTX in march this year so far so good both zips have a leather flap which velcroes over the puller i would say to prevent what happend to you,
where you wearing your troos over your boots or tucked in? but it still should not have come off glad you are OK.

just read this with interest as i bought a pair of roadstar GTX in march this year so far so good both zips have a leather flap which velcroes over the puller i would say to prevent what happend to you,
where you wearing your troos over your boots or tucked in? but it still should not have come off glad you are OK.

My leathers were inside the boots I don't think the zipper would have failed if my boots were inside my leathers but I prefer to wear fitted leathers. My boots have the small flap but I believe a full length flap is what's required or the main zip to be on the inner side of the boot.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom