Carbs on an oilhead

Other things you need.

Now that you have got the carbs on, how about a set of points or a magneto to replace the pesky electronic stuff, and I am sure somebody could rustle up a dynamo for you. A set of drum brakes would really set it off.
Myke

Now that you have got the carbs on, how about a set of points or a magneto to replace the pesky electronic stuff, and I am sure somebody could rustle up a dynamo for you. A set of drum brakes would really set it off.
Myke
Points fine, so long as you know what they’re off and can buy them easily, magneto I’d forget.

Clearly a GOOD pair of carbs is essential, maybe worth buying new ones despite the cost (if you can get them new?).

Just curious, has he done a 1200…

IF i were going to fit carbs it certainly wouldn't be bings. :D

Now that you have got the carbs on, how about a set of points or a magneto to replace the pesky electronic stuff

Don't knock it until you try it, they are available for Beemers :rob

bmw_overall_look_Medium.jpg

Don't forget that modern piston engined aircraft use magnetos -- "The average running time between magneto problems that actually cause an engine to stop in aircraft is 100,000 hours". "In the event of a total electrical failure in the aircraft the engines will continue to run".

I'd like to see quotes like that for your average 1200GS :D

And what,pray tell,has sir got a wheelbarrow full of?

It's a funny old world. In the old days people with airheads and bing carbs who wanted to improve their bikes threw the bings away and fitted mikunis or delortos.

Strange times when bing carbs are considered an improvement :rolleyes:

It's a funny old world. In the old days people with airheads and bing carbs who wanted to improve their bikes threw the bings away and fitted mikunis or delortos.

I can remember this....

Be interesting to see what a set of these would do?

Attachments

• Ritmo_Sereno_R80_2.jpg
    Ritmo_Sereno_R80_2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 718
When I rode an 100s I used to lust after those Delloto pumpers, I must admit the simplicity of taking an oilhead back to carbs and a standalone ignition system has an apeal, especially if it will run as nicely as Rogers does, has anyone any info on oilheads fitted with pumpers or Mikunis ?

Stewart

oh bollocks:blast just when i thought my 1100 was pulling like a train this had to surface keep the info coming fellas,i met a tosser in bristol last year who bought my remus zorst he had carbs on his 1100 and was well pleased with the result he gave me the throttle bodies and motronic unit as he did'nt need them any more now that's confidence!

Do you think he can make a swing arm/chain conversion now as well,because that really would be a bike:thumb

Is Roger the Messiah ?

For all the naysayers, I got to ride Rogers 'Binged bike' and all I can say is 'WOW !'. It made me remember what a wooly old animal the original 1100GS was (riding a few of the first ones actually put me off buying one as I thought they were dire) and this incarnation is what BMW should have brought out in the first place (ok, injection systems have improved greatly over the years, but IMO, you can't beat a good old set of carbs). The grunt in top gear is so different to the injected bike and I can see why he is happy to have gone to the expense of carrying out this mod.

hello to all!

It's funny I found this post...during my summer vacation in a small greek island, with twisty roads, all I could think riding two-up, was a set of Bings on my 1100...If it could be as smooth as a 80 g/s is, then it would be really great.

So, if anyone knows, please enlighten me:
-what must be done with the fuel pump?
-does the filter box really nead to be modified?

Thanx in advance!

hello to all!

It's funny I found this post...during my summer vacation in a small greek island, with twisty roads, all I could think riding two-up, was a set of Bings on my 1100...If it could be as smooth as a 80 g/s is, then it would be really great.

So, if anyone knows, please enlighten me:
-what must be done with the fuel pump?
-does the filter box really nead to be modified?

Thanx in advance!

Well it is as smooth as an 80 g/s in fact smoother so it is really great IMPO. :D

Carbs do not use the fuel pump so it is removed.

Airbox must be altered so it does not produce a pressurised flow of air.:thumb

well I don't get exactly how the filter box should be modified, but if I decide to go through with the whole thing, I guess I'll figure it out

Thanks!

well I don't get exactly how the filter box should be modified, but if I decide to go through with the whole thing, I guess I'll figure it out

One option I'd guess is to drill / cut some holes in the airbox outer casing which would vent any excess air. The clever bit would be to make sure no nasties can get through the holes.

One option I'd guess is to drill / cut some holes in the airbox outer casing which would vent any excess air. The clever bit would be to make sure no nasties can get through the holes.

My KTM airbox mod uses a fine mesh screen.....a nice pair of black lacey stockings would do at least the same job.

Back
Top Bottom