#@?## VOX!

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of giving up on the VOX on our bike to bike and just going for a PTT button! Sad, becuase we've thrown shed-loads of money at the system trying to get it right! The latest development is that my buddy can hear the music from my Zumo, that I am listening to, through his walkie talkie. How does that work?!

Now we've lost the great services of GS Rich where's the best place to go for advice without riding all the way over to St Ives?

On a slightly lighter note I visited Autocom's old premises at Leamington yesterday in search of some help. It instantly became clear that they've closed down but I did ask the new tenant if I could check the whole building from top to bottom just to make sure they weren't still hiding in a corner.:augie It had nothing to do with the fact that Bravissimo now has the lease now!!:D

come on in , sit down and explain

right , what have you got,
system type?
radio type?make , model,
sat nav type and connection type?
lets have the lot.Paul

Same Autocom and radio spec on both bikes:

SuperPro 300
Kenwood 3201

Zumo 550 on my bike.

SuperPro wired into battery.
Zumo through spare connection on the headstock.

Everything (mp3, directional instructions, bluetooth) works fine except bike to bike. We use 'okay' to open the channel. On our most recent rideout he could hear me okay but I just kept getting half-words - as if the channel was opening up and closing very quickly in succession.

Why he could hear my music I really don't know. The only thing different I'd done since we last went out was change my headset from one helmet to another but I can't see that would have made any difference.

All ideas gratefully received!

I have a distant memory of reading an Autocom/Kenwood radio once and it said not to have the Vox switched on the radio... that might have been to do with the PTT switch though :nenau

How is the Zumo connected to the Autocom - do you have Bluetooth for phone and a 3.5mm 4 pole jack for music and directions?

Which socket on the Autocom is the Zumo plugged into? I think it's supposed to be Aux 3; but if you have it plugged into Aux 1 then it will cut/override the radio.

Mike

Zumo is hard-wired with Bluetooth for phone to Zumo (although to be honest I don't use the phone - personal choice).

The Zumo goes into Aux 3. Aux 1,2 and 4 are unused.

I'm thinking of giving up on the VOX on our bike to bike and just going for a PTT button! Sad, becuase we've thrown shed-loads of money at the system trying to get it right! The latest development is that my buddy can hear the music from my Zumo, that I am listening to, through his walkie talkie. How does that work?!

Now we've lost the great services of GS Rich where's the best place to go for advice without riding all the way over to St Ives?

On a slightly lighter note I visited Autocom's old premises at Leamington yesterday in search of some help. It instantly became clear that they've closed down but I did ask the new tenant if I could check the whole building from top to bottom just to make sure they weren't still hiding in a corner.:augie It had nothing to do with the fact that Bravissimo now has the lease now!!:D

If all else fails try Sam at Chainspeed down in S W Wales, www.chainspeed.co.uk He's mustard!:thumb

PTT

I'm thinking of giving up on the VOX on our bike to bike and just going for a PTT button! Sad, becuase we've thrown shed-loads of money at the system trying to get it right!

Yep too true.:comfort

Mate and I have spent shed loads of TIME trying to fine tune the VOX on each unit.
Got REALLY frustrating!!:mad:

Phoned the guy at Chainspeed, who was really knowledgable and helpful, bought the PTT kit.:beerjug:

WORKS GREAT!!!:clap

Range not great so just keep up.

KIT USED: SP-A and Kenwoods 3201, all bike powered.
IMO the best £50 spent on this sort of kit.

ps the PTT Switch does allow 3 positions,
constant: switched: VOX

Could work on getting the VOX to work at low speed i.e. around town and then switched for higher speeds.

All the best!! :beerjug:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but is there a way to disable the VOX on a Super Pro AVI completely?

I don't use a radio, and am "slightly" tired of the VOX cutting in all the time (only use the thing for music and phone).

Thanks.

Casper

You can set the VOX so that it takes a VERY loud noise to activitate it, however you wouldnt be able to use the phone for a conversation without screaming into your mic.

The PTT switch only works on the PMR radio.

You could maybe try and see what is tripping the vox - usually its wind noise, if so then try adjusting the vox a bit higher and/or wrap a bit more foam around the mic. Autocom do a thicker mic sock for open face helmets which you could also try.

Mike

You can set the VOX so that it takes a VERY loud noise to activitate it, however you wouldnt be able to use the phone for a conversation without screaming into your mic.

The PTT switch only works on the PMR radio.

Ok, I thought that the VOX only was for the Radio - had a look at the documentation again, and it seams that the BGNS is required to make the VOX work correctly... and with that one gets auto volume (great).

I think I'll start saving up for a Starcom digital.

Casper

Hang in there awhile ..... I have done a cheap and simple mod that makes everything PTT (ie phone, radio and intercom) Basically you buy an inexpensive rubber button PTT from t'internet and run a length of twin core screened mic cable back to the Autocom box where it is spliced into the red (mic +) wire of the riders lead immediately adjacent to the white plastic connector

It works a treat and means you can ride with a visor open or closed. There is also no requirement to trigger the VOX with a cough or similar - the mic circuit opens the moment you press the button. The only downside is the need to keep the button depressed when talking on the phone

Although I have not done it as I ride solo, I can see no reason why the pillion lead cannot be converted as well

In fact, thinking on my feet, you could probably just do it to the radio interface cable if you wanted to keep the oem VOX option for intercom and phone

I'm off on holiday early tomorrow so not sure if there will be time to take a piccy of the Autocom box internals (Kit 200) but here is the PTT fixed with self amalgamating tape to the clutch adjuster of my RT

Hang in there awhile ..... I have done a cheap and simple mod that makes everything PTT (ie phone, radio and intercom) Basically you buy an inexpensive rubber button PTT from t'internet and run a length of twin core screened mic cable back to the Autocom box where it is spliced into the red (mic +) wire of the riders lead immediately adjacent to the white plastic connector

It works a treat and means you can ride with a visor open or closed. There is also no requirement to trigger the VOX with a cough or similar - the mic circuit opens the moment you press the button. The only downside is the need to keep the button depressed when talking on the phone

Although I have not done it as I ride solo, I can see no reason why the pillion lead cannot be converted as well

In fact, thinking on my feet, you could probably just do it to the radio interface cable if you wanted to keep the oem VOX option for intercom and phone

I'm off on holiday early tomorrow so not sure if there will be time to take a piccy of the Autocom box internals (Kit 200) but here is the PTT fixed with self amalgamating tape to the clutch adjuster of my RT

I send Sam from Chainspeed (as usual great help) an email and got the following answer:

===
f you are only using it for Phone & music you can switch the vox to manual
and turn the vox fully anti-clockwise as the phone mic out bypasses the vox
so the caller will still hear every word even if you do not open the vox.

OR

Turn the Vox control fully anti-clockwise, cover the back (black side) of
the mic with some Velcro or tape and ensure that the BGNS is is a position
that will pick up the maximum amount of noise i.e near the bottom of the
helmet at the front (near your jawbone.
===

Looks like switching it to manual will solve my problem - I tried the BGNS thing when I first got it, and was not really happy with it, and now only using in ear's I don't really want auto volume.

Thanks for the idea, could be an option if I ever get to the point where I have to have someone on be back...

Casper

Hi Andy, i did replay to your question on the east anglia location bit, still getting used to this site and how it works. Have also put a wind baffle on the mic to reduce the vox being set off acidently by the wind. For a couple of pounds the open face baffle has reduced vox problems for many people. If your passing my way i'm happy to look at your system for free just let me know if your around bedford and ill check it out for you!

Regards

Mick

Back
Top Bottom