Morocco July 2010

pepe129

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJ72JTRR_Y

My friend finally decided not to come along on the grounds of risk, so I had to confront the plan of reaching the dessert on my own. My only motorcycle experience reduced to a Vespa 75 pk I rode for 1 year some 20 years ago

Thanks to Tim Cullis and Eric web pages, I could get sufficient info of what I needed:
- 250cc motorcycle (rented in Marrakesh at m2r.ma) with off road tyres
- gps
- gps waypoints and routes
- fuel station locations
- carry of extra fuel
- sleeping bag and tent
- carry of 8-10 liters of water
- mobile phone with extra batteries
- Gandini books and Michelin map
- motorcycle wear: hard boots, pants, gloves, and jacket all with specific protection, helmet
- good physical training, as you have to lift the motorcycle when you fall ( in my case I did only 7 times with no further consequence!)

There's one more item you shall carry with you: being lucky. Driving piste and dessert sand for 150 kms during 2 days close to Algeria border, with no mobile coverage, on one's own, spotting only 1 car that in return didn't see me, is quite risky for obvious reasons

On the other side, the experience is unforgettable

Thanks!

Looks like a great trip and really enjoyed the photos/video - what software did you use to put that together?

A big chapeau! for having the guts to just get on and do it. Goes to show what is possible without a 10k+ GS. Especially love the fact the bike was on virtually road tyres - must have been fun in the sand.

How long was it in the planning?

Good on ya mate
Will be going myself in October..... but with a friend !!!! Just got myself a DR650 for the trip and will be riding down from SW France , i'm not a hard ass but will be after that :eek:
Phil

STOP sign

Excellent - really enjoyed it.

The STOP road block reminded me of 'Blazing Saddles' :yelrotflm:yelrotflm

Back
Top Bottom