Coming up Bilko`s rear

Impatient_rat.gif

The next morning was a late start, 0930 wheels rolling. I didnt want to set an alarm clock once on the trip and figured I would wake up when by body was rested enough ( this got later and later as the trip went on).

I didnt have a plan for the day so just kept riding North, the road was a 60 mph limit going through forests and past vast lakes. I stopped for gas and a young woman asked me if I was heading into Canada. I had considered getting there but she prompted me to "nip in". An hour or so later as I was at the Canadian border post.
It turns out that the Canadian border police dont have much of a sense of humour so when he asked" where are you heading sir" and I replied " not decided yet, just were the road takes me" accompanied by a big smile. The internationally renowned gesture for getting through borders.
He replied with a very curt " I see" and disappeared into his back office with my passport for 5 minutes.
He returned eventually and wished me a good day.

So off i road into British Columbia, very similar scenery to the first part of the day and again after 2 very slow hours just enjoying the road and mooching around at 40mph I passed into Alberta.

I stopped for lunch in a little diner I was drawn too as there was an airhead outside. Popped in and met a German biker called Bertrand who invited me over to watch him tuck into his raw steak.

Nice chap who was on his way from Alaska, heading to his home in LA. He asked me my plans and I gave him the usual shrug and answer.
He strongly recommend I head south into Montana and head towards Glacier national park.
I pondered for a brief while and thought Canada could wait to be explored another time.
So off I set. At the border again in a couple of hours ( heck of a lot simpler Getting back into the states than I thought) they were only concerned about any purchases I had made so they could charge me an import tax.

The only goods I had purchased in Canada was a sticker to add to the panniers and a roast beef sandwich now edging its way reluctantly through my intestines. I didnt add this last bit as I wasnt sure how thorough they were.:)

Another couple of hours and I hit the town of West Glacier. Fantastic little town and I managed to find a log cabin with the courtesy of the Zumo for a $100.
After a wee while in their hot tub I tucked into a steak about the size of Guilford and headed to the local bar.
3 hours later drinking miller lite and doing Jager shots with a local snow mobile rental chap ( quiet in the summer he tells me so he just drinks). It was time to retire.
Mileage 1463
Start: Into the Valley, the Skids
Finish: She`s not there, Santana

Just a couple of pics today ( told you I was wank at Photography)

Attachments

• P7180033.jpg
    P7180033.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 882
  • P7190037.jpg
    P7190037.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 886
After a mountain of French toast in the local diner I set off into Glacier National Park. Like most USA parks there is an entrance fee of about $10. Well worth the coin though and the pass is valid for a week.

Glacier is one of those places where everyone should visit at least once. The scenery and roads are breathtaking. My meagre pictures wont do it justice but I know the mighty Oisin took some great pics on his trip through there if you want a better idea.
The road was starting to fill up with Harley riders on the annual trip to Sturgis for their huge rally there.

Most of them waived me past as they where just pootling along about 20mph.
I wasnt going much quicker as the scenery took some taking in.
Not to mention a few of the bends on the mountains are on the edge of huge drops. It would take more than the odd cable tie and a couple of Ibuprofen if you ended up down there:D.

Attachments

• P7190039.jpg
    P7190039.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 875
  • P7190040.jpg
    P7190040.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 877
  • P7190041.jpg
    P7190041.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 879
  • P7190042.jpg
    P7190042.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 872
Its a Garmin Oregon GPS. I keep it on overhead map mode so I can see things that are near by.
The Zumo will route you there but like you know wont tell you if there is something worth seeing just off your route.
:thumb2

Very enjoyable read Skygod, I hope to be doing the same as you next year.. keep it coming! :clap

Where was I,,,,,,,

Aghh thats right........

As I have said, Glacier National Park is absolutely awesome. Well worth a detour there if your anywhere near there.

On leaving the park I head into the heart of Montana. Looking back now this was probably my favourite state ( with Colorado a close second) for motorcycling anyway.
I was riding along perfectly straight roads for miles and enjoying the open plains after several hours of twisties and hairpin bends.

I stopped to take a picture of a vast thunder storm on the horizon which looked a good few miles away from where I was.
Little did I know when I snapped away that this storm would be the reason I had my only off on the whole trip.

Attachments

• P7190043.jpg
    P7190043.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 741
  • P7190047.jpg
    P7190047.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 737
OFF

The whole event took about 15 seconds from start to finish, from riding along in gorgeous sunshine to be laid on the floor with your bike on top of you freezing cold and piss wet through.

It started with a few drops of rain ( which I kinda expected from the clouds above) then hailstones started the likes of I have never seen or felt. They where about the size of the marbles I used to play with as a kid but coming down with such ferocity I was feeling the pain through my Belstaff and Rallye trousers. The back wheel started first by weaving all over the place.
As I was doing about 60mph when it started I didnt want to go near the brakes so just shut off the gas. A bit quicker than I should have as it turns out as this loaded the front end and the front wheel washed out to the right while I was still doing about 50:eek:

As I was soiling myself as I slid down the road on the left side of the bike I could feel my heal dragging along under the foot peg. My first thought was " bloody hell, all this money spent on a trip and it ends after just a week" tight northerner in me coming out.:D

I finally came to a stop after what seemed several thousand feet but it was probably about 30.

I was still in the seated position on the bike with my hands on the grips and right foot on the peg.
Keeping still I started to see if I had got any injuries by just waiting for the adrenalin to die down and the pain to creep in. The only real pain was from the hail coming down still and the unbelievable noise it was making on my lid.

I stood up and looked around to see a pick up truck coming sidewards towards me. I wold love to tell you that I leapt out of the way with cat like reflexes and did a commando roll to the side of the road. However, I would be lying like a cheap watch as I stood there paralyzed with fear thinking (shit).
He stopped about twenty feet away, threw the passenger door open and urged me to get inside.
With thoughts in my mind ( briefly) of being abducted and spending the rest of my days being used as a cowboys "plaything" I leaped into the seat of the pickup where I was greeted by a very weathered looking local farmer.
His first words out of his mouth where something to do with his crops being beat to shit by the hail after which he asked how I was.

As it turned out I was fine. My Altberg boots had saved my left heal from grinding down to the bone and my jacket and britches hadnt touched the ground due to the panniers and new cruiser foot pegs forming a protective zone for me to ride out the crash in.

The hail stopped after 10 mins and he helped me pick up the bike and move it to the verge.

He said there was a town about 10 miles away I could get a coffee at and he bid me good day.

It appeared the bike had only suffered cosmetic damage but then I discovered it was stuck in 5th. After sticking it on the centre stand and spending 5 mins rocking back and forward whilst messing with the clutch it sorted itself out.

You can see from the pictures though that the panniers had received a bit of a knock and to that end spent the rest of the trip a bit scewiff.

The GPS then took me down an unpaved road for about 30 miles which was fun on my new Michelin Pilots:D

Another hour of riding like Miss Daisy and I hit the town of Helena where I find a motel and a weapons grade steakhouse along with half a dozen Miller Lites.
Mileage:1735
Start: Pride and Joy, Stevie Ray Vaughn
Finish: Since you've been gone, Rainbow

Attachments

• P7190050.jpg
    P7190050.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 732
  • P7190056.jpg
    P7190056.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 742
  • P7190057.jpg
    P7190057.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 738
  • P7190054.jpg
    P7190054.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 734
I think the panniers look fine - you seem to have bent them so they are horizontal whilst the bike is on side stand:clap

Keep it coming :D

:eek ooooooooooops enjoying this.
may i ask where sir got his added footrests from :thumb

Mucho jealous of your trip:thumb

Bar the crashing bit:p

keep it coming

Cheers Duncan

We went through a massive storm just north of Alberquerque but were riding gods and all stayed upright:augie

Feck me though, those hailstones hurt like hell and it was like being hit by a paintball gun at close range:eek:

nice one pick up guy

the panniers are fine the bikes on the piss :D

id hate to be a car that pisses you off with them pegs stuck out the side :eek:

good you werent hurt tho (chicks nearly dig scars - better the story :D)

Next bit tonight troops. Ash, they were from a company at the bike rally in Oregon. I have their card somewhere and will dig it out for you.

Next bit tonight troops. Ash, they were from a company at the bike rally in Oregon. I have their card somewhere and will dig it out for you.

thankee sire :kissy2
now crack on with this rather good report. :thumb :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom