Coming up Bilko`s rear

The next day was uneventful to say the least. I found a launderette and did my doby then had a nice long lunch followed my an afternoon nap.
Rock and roll eh !!!!
The chaps summarized to the effect that I had come to Deadwood, one of the most famous western towns in the USA, got a gun pulled on me by a sheriff, got thrown in the back of a cop car and threatened with a night in "the can".

"Thats some cool trippy shit Gary" they remarked.
Looking back it was quite fun I guess.;)

I decided to set sail the next day and bid adieu to my new mates.
And hopefully not see any of these things below again!!! ( well not until I go back to work):D

Attachments

• Glock17.jpg
    Glock17.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 579
After a very relaxed lazy previous day I was itching to get some more miles under my belt. I bid my new pals farewell and exchanged emails etc.
They were keen for me to to pose with there chapter vest before I set off.

It had been a great few days riding with the guys and I learnt a lot about their take on the world and how things are heading in America.
Their opinions of life and how their country is run are no different to how we feel back in the UK really. Same concerns and worries about things going off in the world.

I was sure I was going to see them again one day.

Attachments

• P7240080.jpg
    P7240080.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 564
  • P7240081.jpg
    P7240081.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 586
I set off and rode through Deadwood again with a smirk on my face thinking of the fun I had there:augie

The steel boys recommended I swing past Sturgis to see what all the fuss is about and why half a million folk will congregate there in a weeks time.
It was only an hour away so off I set.

I`m sure when the Harley Davidson rally is on its a great place to be and lots to do but the week before there is cock all there.
Just vendors setting up tents and cops putting cones out, the town itself is very small and has very few redeeming features other than its location.
I stopped for a brew in the Sturgis coffee company cafe and the waitress ( who was hotter than the fires of Mordor) offered to take my picture in front of the town sign.

Attachments

• P7240085.jpg
    P7240085.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 710
Putting the GPS on shortest route I input Mount Rushmore, feeling obliged to take in a culture injection after a few days pissing it up in the wild west.
The route took me through the black hills and these were fantastic.

The black hills are famed for triggering the gold rush and you can still see old mines and buildings that now lay deserted. Enough of that history stuff though,,,,,

The roads are splendid! Cutting through woods and over old railway lines there are miles of twisty deserted tarmac for you to "ride it like you stole it".
Didn`t take any pictures again I was enjoying the ride so much.:)

After an other hour ish I hit Mount Rushmore. Not being one for large tourist attractions I did quite enjoy it. It was quite busy so didn`t stick around long but well worth a look if your out that way.

Attachments

• P7240090.jpg
    P7240090.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 706
  • P7240091.jpg
    P7240091.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 732
  • P7240093.jpg
    P7240093.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 706
This is still good stuff....and I`m still enjoying it,thanks. :beerjug:

Some old abandoned mine workings photos would have been nice to see though. :augie

Keep it coming. :thumb2

Nice one Gaz :thumb

Suprised ya didn't chisel ya own face in the mountain before disappearing into the sunset though :D:D:D

Sorry chaps, work has got in the way. Will crack on this weekend.
:thumb

He continues......

I left Mount Rushmore and continued on the glorious backroads that make up the black hills.
I met a guy at a gas station and he gave me a few recommends for roads west of Denver Colorado in the Rockies. I marked them on a map I bought and planned on sniffing them out when I got there.
I always planned on going to Colorado but Denver seemed a bit "big city" for me so looking at the map I opted for Boulder.
I decided to get to the rockies as fast as possible so planned on taking the interstates through Wyoming to get there.
Ipod in and dialed the throttle in to about a very comfy 85mph. Very few cops on the interstates but the temperature was starting to rise now. Belstaff open and just held together by the belt.
I passed a young lad on a Harley, shorts on, no top and no lid. Had his misses clinging to the back. I thought quickly back to my off in Montana and how I would have faired if I was similarly attired:eek:

The speedo was showing 90 most of the way down and no doubt this will account for the terrible tank ranges I got. 165 and 175.

I was starting to get really thirsty and pulled off at one of the slip road without really looking where it went ( big mistake):D

I came down the slip and found myself facing a huge military base with ballistic missiles on display. There was no other route to take as the road took me straight to the main gate of the base.
I stopped at the barrier and a young stern faced man came out and asked me what my business at the base was.
When I explained that I had made an error and just wanted to fill my camelback up he got quite shirty with me and said I should have paid more attention to the sign that said "base only".
After making my apologies in my best Hugh Grant stuttering drawl I asked if I could fill up with water.
He looked at my dry lips and sunburnt brow and said "NO". Cock.
I turned round and stopped just short of the slip road to get back on the interstate and managed to snap a quick picture. I looked in my mirror to see my new friend hot footing over towards me to no doubt accuse me of planning some terrorist atrocity. Not having a deal of patience left and in no mood to have a security debate with the cock. I threw the camera in my pocket and twisted the wrist to make my way at great speed away from him.
Half expecting tracer rounds to come wizzing past my lid I kept my head down and wound the throttle in for 3 figures:D

Attachments

• P7240095.jpg
    P7240095.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 573
I arrived in Boulder Colorado about 6pm and after using the Zumo to source a hotel for the evening and parked the bike up for the day.
As I was getting off I found what looked like half a litre of oil spread all over the back tyre and final drive unit. SHIT, he thought.
There was a steady watery oily drip coming from the final drive.

At this point I was quite bolloxed so checked into my room had a thorough doby and got the lap top out ( wireless was in nearly every motel I stayed in) and started looking for a dealer or anyone near by that could maybe offer some help.
I put a thread on adventure rider and UKGSER asking for some advice on local dealers and then went off for several beers and an elk burger:drool

A young filly approached me in the bar ( which had awful wallpaper incidentally) and asked if she could buy me a drink. I declined her offer as my mind was on my final drive issues. At this point she burst into tears ( happens all the time) I took the opportunity to take a quick picture of her and made my escape.

Start: Mannish Boy, Muddy Waters
Finish: Ace of spades, Motorhead
Mileage: 3100

Attachments

• cry.jpeg
    cry.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 620
Brilliant!!

reminds me of when Aidan's went, keep it comin!
(tis a pity ya couldn't have made the trip with us, sounds like there would've been a bit of craic to be had!!)
:thumb2

reminds me of when Aidan's went,
:thumb2

I've posted the pic of Aidan crying when his went the 2nd time..... :augie

You are right they are remarkably similar. :augie

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom