Coming up Bilko`s rear

SkyGod

What Tyre pressure you running
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One or two of you maybe aware that I had planned to accompany Bilko and his merry band on their USA Odyssey however, due to some work stuff couldn`t go so as my GS was already there planned to go a month later on my own.

This enabled me to do a different route as I know a few people on Bilkos team had specifically asked to go to some places strongly affiliated with the gays and bummers ( not that there is anything wrong with that) just not my bag.

I also believe that assless chaps and leather caps dont meet my required safety clothing criteria.:D
Here are a couple of pics of Bilks and his gang before the off:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,730
  • mapplethorpe1.jpg
    mapplethorpe1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,731
  • mapplethorpe2.jpg
    mapplethorpe2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,713
Now, there are some incredibly talented folk on here when it comes to writing ride reports and I wont even try and compete with them as I have neither the fancy book learning words or the photographic ability.

I made a log everyday ( yes a written one) and took one or two pics with my my little point and go compact digital number so the report is based loosely on the content of my now stained with unfathomable fluids note book and the "vetted" pictures from the camera.

The images of me being set about by table dancers and a ladies volleyball team from Brazil will remain in my own private collection as I have a wife to think of and discretion is paramount to me.

Here is a quick one of the Brazillian team to tempt you, she is consoling her friend as I had just explained I was happily married and not prepared to spend the evening with them.

Attachments

• volley.jpeg
    volley.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,714
So on the 12th of July I set sail for San Francisco and with an air of anxiety fluttering around me about based on the fact that I`m exceptionally attractive and was entering the city of "chaps that bowl from the pavilion end" looked forward to my imminent adventure.

After collecting the bike from Bilkos relative, James and his wife Polly. I noticed some cosmetic damage that must have happened from the transit across. No doubt the few of you that have seen my GS will be astounded that I could recognize any additional damage:)

My first nights accommodation was provided by a family that we met on a cruise a few years ago and had kept in touch with.
Who could turn down a free nights billeting and some home made meat loaf!
The following morning I set off after a farewell photo.

Attachments

• P7140004.jpg
    P7140004.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,753
:popcorn

oh and despite yer first paragraph - i think you're upset you missed the madder parts of sf :D

I shall steal the idea from another ride report ( St. Eptoe I believe) of adding what song was on my Ipod when I start the day and finish it.

With no real route in my head to follow I planned on talking to people to see what they recommend and just follow my nose. As long as I`m in Baltimore, Maryland on the 9th of August I figure I can go where I like.

Bilko`s cousin, James said he was heading to a place called Redmond in Oregon(700 ish miles North) for the weekend to go to the BMW club of America national rally. This sounded like a bunch on American tossers talking about oil and tyres only being interrupted by fatty food, week lager from plastic cups and overpriced tat from Vendors.

So I seized the day and decided to go as it sounded just up my alley( which expression became to mean something very different on Bilks` trip the month before):ymca

I left Santa Cruz just south of San Francisco at about 9am and had the GPS on compass and headed North. After an hour or so rode over the Golden Gate Bridge, which was nice. I finally hit a coast rode called highway 1 and headed through forests of giant redwood trees and perfect tarmac along the Pacific until I hit the town of Eureka.

I had no intention of booking any hotels for the entire trip as I didnt want to get tide down with having to be places at certain times. I had always winged it on my Europe trips and figured I could do this in the states too.

The plan(if you can call it that) was to roll into a town about 5 ish or when I was getting tired, hit a local bar for a bevvy and get some local knowledge of where to stay and eat etc. I would recommend this plan to anyone as some local knowledge can go along way to saving you a few dollars.

The thing with American bars I found that very few of them have windows. Its more of an industrial unit with a red neon sign saying open. So as you go through the door you really dont know what will greet you on the other side. Quite fun really.

There was about half a dozen local folk sat round the bar who immediately stopped chatting and stared at me as I took my place on a stool near them.
"What bike ya`ll on" a full figured filly said. As I finished the W of BMW she stood up ( which took quite a bit of effort based on her stature) and came over to give me a huge hug:eek:
Puzzled by this unexpected showing of affection I felt obliged to say something so said " Thankyou"to her. Not the best come back I grant but all I could manage at the time.

Turns out she had an airhead herself and after an hour of Miller lite and a very fine ribeye steak retired for the evening in a local motel to the tune of $93.
Mileage:376
Start:Gimme all your Loving, ZZ Top
Finish:Thunderball, Tom Jones

The previous day was blissfully sunny when I rode into Eureka so was very surprised in the morning to be greeted by a blanket of fog.
The first pic is on the way up there and the second when I was leaving in the morning.
The bike also hit 50000 miles and thought it warranted being recorded.:)

Attachments

• P7140009.jpg
    P7140009.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,679
  • P7150013.jpg
    P7150013.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,698
  • P7150012.jpg
    P7150012.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,689
I put Redmond in the GPS and off I went to the rally, fantastic ride. Along the coast for a couple of hours then through some great twisties in between huge giant redwood trees.
I`ve never been one for eating as soon as I wake up and the beauty of being on your own is you do exactly what you want. So mid morning I stopped at a diner in a little town called Klamath for a slap up feast of ham and eggs.

Another few hours of great lakes and more twisties and I end up in Redmond Oregon. Very pics of today as I was really into the riding and couldn`t be arsed to stop a lot.

I got to the Rally and joined a line of about a 100 folk all waiting to pay their $60 for the registration fee and go and find a camping spot.

By the time I had got to the front of the line I already had half a dozen route and destination ideas from folk who where curious who the chap in the Belstaff jacket was in 90 degree heat. Really friendly bunch and the omens were looking good for the weekend.
Now, not having any intention of camping during my time in the USA this left me with a shortage of sleeping equipment for 2 nights. The family I had stayed at the first night gave me their daughters sleeping bag but that was it with regards sleeping outdoors gear .So a quick trip to an army surplus store en route and $50 dollars later had a lean too and a couple of tent pegs with a bit of tarp thrown in.

Welcome to Chateau Skygod:

Mileage 757
Start: Pinball Wizard, The Who
Finish: When love comes to town, BB King and U2

Attachments

• P7160018.jpg
    P7160018.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,639
  • P7160017.jpg
    P7160017.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,659
loving the fek it lets go this way thing

music good too (tom jones should be burned quickly tho :D)

The 'Chateau so and so' sounds familiar :augie :augie

Enjoying it so far......keep it cumming.....so to say. ;) :p

The GS rally turned out to be a good craic and on a slightly larger scale than we are used too in the UK with over 6000 bikes turning up. Lots of vendors selling their tat. I was sucked in of course and got a new set of Tyres and some cruising pegs which attach to the crash bars. They turned out to be money well spent as I usually rest my legs on the engine but in over 100 degrees I could manage this for about 15 seconds before my Rallye britches burst into flames.

I got chatting to a few folk in the bar and they suggested I should go to glacier national park in Montana if I like nice roads and scenery ( which I do fortunately ) someone else piped up that Canada shouldnt be missed too. I decided on doing both to keep them happy.

James and his misses then turned up for the evening and we spent the rest of the rally watching the live music and getting minging on local Ale.:beerjug:

Plenty of interesting folk and interesting bikes. Here is James and his wife Polly, and a few of the bikes I clocked.

Attachments

• P7170030.jpg
    P7170030.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,606
  • P7160024.jpg
    P7160024.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,567
  • P7160025.jpg
    P7160025.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,578
  • P7160027.jpg
    P7160027.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,581
  • P7160028.jpg
    P7160028.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,548
I decided to leave the rally on Saturday as I had already got the measure of the place and after a day of rest was keen to get some more miles in.

I attended a couple of interesting off road lectures in the morning then got cracking about noon.
The scenery and roads where fantastic again so not many pics as you just get caught up in a rhythm of taking each bend, a quick glance at the scenery and then thinking about the next bend. Well I did anyway.

Manage to get a pic of the place I stopped for lunch anyway. I tried to stay away from "chains" as much as I could. Not because of some big Dave Gorman tribute but I figured you can get a subway and Burger King anywhere. Smoked brisket and huckleberry pie however are a little more rare.:drool

Ended up in the town of Spokane in Washington.
Mileage 1127
Start: In the avenues and alleyways, Tony Christie
Finish: Gold finger, shirley Bassey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I know:ymca

Attachments

• P7180031.jpg
    P7180031.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,560
  • P7180032.jpg
    P7180032.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,718
Still good. :thumb2

Agreed totally on the plastic global wide food chain shite. :beerjug:

Like the Ural,but why the feck would someone put a German insignia on a Russian bike ? :nenau

Thanks for reminding me why I don`t have 'music on the go'. :augie

Nice one

Hi Gaz
nice write up and pics
keep up the good work
and stay safe mate
Gaz :thumb2

Wheresyapoppygone :eek:

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom