Mac user? Why?

Come on, are there no PC evangelists out there? Some of us are looking for a good old-fashioned Mac vs PC flame-war:augie

I'm quite sceptical about the "different league" claim though, no matter how Apple might dress it up, their hardware uses the same processor as some pcs, and their operating system is Linux based, just as Ubuntu for PC hardware is.
The hardware isn't the point - obviously its all the same - its the OS which makes the difference.

And, just for the record, Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, not linux.:)

I've recently bought a macbook pro and I'm not very impressed with it.

I like the iPod/iPhone devices a lot because they really offer something new. but what is the macbook really apart from an overpriced Dell with a strange keyboard?

David

So then, why is it the Apple's don't get viruses? I was led to believe it was due to not many out there but now they are more common will they now be targetted as well?

I've used Macs since the LCII came out in 1992 (it's worth noting that they were more stylish 18 years ago than a lot of PCs today - not that the design is the prime reason for buying)

lc-with-12-inch-color-224.jpg

In those 18 years I can honestly say that there have been less than five crashes - if that.

From listening to PC users I am very glad that I have had little exposure to them and their many reported problems.

What others have said rings very true to me - They just work :thumb2

home I use macbook pro and pc - mac user for three years, pc & windows 20 years. horses for courses i reckon. Current PC Advent (liked them cos they were european build) - 6 years old pentium 4 hyperthreading jobby - arm and leg when new, XP 500GB, 3.66 GHZ two processsors, lots of upgrades, memory, graphics cards, power supply. Comparably lot more maintainance on pc, software and hardware. But does the job. Work PC IBM Lenovo - best PC laptop I have ever had and I have had loads -
Toshiba x3, Sony X 3 in twelve years.

Apple - made in China, don't like that, aesthetically so pleasing - overpriced, my view not when you compare top spec machines - digital bling, yes and no - yes rarely freezes or crashes - current macbook 2.8 Dual Core 500GB 4GB Ram - v fast manages lots of programmes simultaneously. Battery life, cetainly not wot claimed. Much prefer windows office as compared to mac office (runt version) and i think mis sold however one gets by! I don't run windows platform on the mac - like operating free of virus threat and cannot be hassled. Mac great for digi photography - pain having to defragment with external program (Drive Genius). Verdict - I love (not really) my mac and my pc, but most probably my mac a bit more.

I use both PC and Mac.

Am forced to use a PC at work, and know Windows like the back of my hand having been using it for 15+ years.

Went down the dark side route 2 yrs ago and bought a Mac Book Air. Supersexy. But underpowered and overpriced.

Recently bought a 13" Mac Book Pro - the basic one with 250GB HDD and 2GB RAM at £880 from Amazon - £100 cheaper than the Apple shop and about the same price as a comparably specified Dell. First thing I did when I got it - take the back off and change the Hard Drive and RAM - it now has a 1TB Hard Drive and 8GB RAM. Christ this thing flys. Runs Mac OSX + XP on VMWare at the same time beautifully. So now I have both at my fingertips. What is really odd is the MS Office (Word, Excel etc) performs better on Windows running on VMWare on MacOS than MS Office does running just on the Mac !

Windows or Mac - you decide; depends what you know and are comfortable with. Theres a lot of horseshit spouted about both on the 'net. Macs have problems too you know, and intuitive? My arse ! Yep - you get a lot of the spinny beach ball shit on Mac. No viruses that I know of though.

pain having to defragment with external program (Drive Genius)

use disk utility on your mac to verify and then repair disc, that should help

AFAIK you never need to defrag a mac disk - I never had in 50 Mav-years of use.

On the value for money issue - its not reasonable to say that a mc is more expensive than a PC simply because the physical components are the same - you're not comparing like with like.

When you buy a mac its the operating system you're paying for.

The quality of the screen is another thing to think about when comparing cost. to get a screen with as high quality as a mac you're looking at 400-500 pounds....add that to the price of the PC.....all of a sudden the price gap isn't so big.

When you buy a mac its the operating system you're paying for.

err no.

Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 (latest) is £25 here on the Apple store and here on Amazon.

You are paying for good quality components, a bloody good screen, metal case, good build quality etc. By the time you have specced up a Dell or other to similar hardware spec, there is buttons in it. Sony Laptops work out more expensive! Plus the aesthetics of the Mac are streets ahead of everything else IMHO. Have just been through this myself last month. And I'm not a Mac die hard - I am primarily a Windows user.

Interestingly enough, my company is just stripping out its 2.5 year old Macs as they were very unreliable. Much more so than the Dell machines running Windows that came before them.

Based on the grief we had with them at work, I couldn't be tempted by a Mac however good the advertising is.

err no.

Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 (latest) is £25 here on the Apple store and here on Amazon.

You are paying for good quality components, a bloody good screen, metal case, good build quality etc. By the time you have specced up a Dell or other to similar hardware spec, there is buttons in it. Sony Laptops work out more expensive! Plus the aesthetics of the Mac are streets ahead of everything else IMHO. Have just been through this myself last month. And I'm not a Mac die hard - I am primarily a Windows user.
Not quite that simple. The cost of the operating system is built into the cost of the hardware. £25 is the cost of an upgrade, you can't install from that disk to normal PC hardware.

Interestingly enough, my company is just stripping out its 2.5 year old Macs as they were very unreliable. Much more so than the Dell machines running Windows that came before them.

Based on the grief we had with them at work, I couldn't be tempted by a Mac however good the advertising is.

I can dig this, but ultimately sounds like a dick head that went and organised the change over in the first hand.. Could be wrong though...

Mac since 1990, when the college got them.

Wife has been through 8 PCs (toshiba, dell, acer and HP) in 8 years. I have had 4 macs in 20 years, and i only upgraded from older machines to latest editions, so all still IPWO and boxed in the attic.

Defragmenting a mac - some things I learned this week

How to Defrag a Mac Hard Drive
By an eHow Contributor
I want to do this! What's This?

Defragging a Mac hard drive is a thing of the past because of the way that OS X manages files. After installing system updates or new applications, the computer will optimize itself. There are ways to periodically clean up your computer and defrag a Mac hard drive, but it can take a few hours and may not improve performance significantly.
From Essentials: Computer Troubleshooting

How to Get Your Computer to Boot Faster

When I worked in a television newsroom, it took so long to boot up our computers that we were… More
More: See All Articles in this Essentials
How to Install More RAM on Your Computer

Every year technological advancements encourage you to enhance your computer's efficiency. You… More
How to Format a Hard Drive With Windows XP

If you want to format a hard drive while using or installing Windows XP, you've come to the… More
How to Troubleshoot a Computer

Before calling technical service and paying for "help," take a look at your computer yourself. A… More
How to Pick an Antivirus Product

Security software is a viable means of warding off bugs, Trojans, and worms without having to… More

Defragging a Mac hard drive is a thing of the past because of the way that OS X manages files.… More
How to Defragment a PC Hard Disk

Over time, files and applications become scattered in various places on your hard disk. Disk… More

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

Defrag a Mac Hard Drive

Open the Disc Utility program, which is located in the "Utilities" folder of your "Applications" directory. Highlight your hard drive from the list and have the program repair the permissions. This is an easy way to correct some common computer errors which could be slowing your hard drive down.

Look for a program to defrag your computer. There are some free utilities that can work on your Mac hard drive, but you should seriously consider purchasing a program because of the stability and support that comes with a purchased product. Defragging programs include Disc Warrior and iDefrag (see Resources below).

Take steps to back up your data before you defrag a Mac hard drive. Data loss is unlikely with well-respected programs, but defragging is a long and extensive process, and you can never be too safe.

Plan to run your defragging program during a time when you won't need to use your computer. No matter which program you decide on, it can take up to several hours to defrag a Mac hard drive. Some companies even suggest running the program overnight.

Notice whether defragging your Mac hard drive improved your computer's performance. Opening applications and large files should be faster if only by a few seconds. If your hard drive is more than 75 percent full, the performance increase may be more noticeable.

www.macpaw.com Ads by Google
Tips & Warnings

OS X automatically defrags files that are less than 20 megabytes. These files will make up the majority of your computer, unless you use it for specialized tasks such as software compiling or high-quality graphic design.
Backing up your documents and then erasing the computer's hard drive can be a crude, but inexpensive and effective way of defragging it.
Be sure that a defragging program can give you a detailed report of what was changed and how many files were affected by the process.
Clearing your computer's various caches, including those associated with your Internet browser, can also help speed up your machine.

Read more: How to Defrag a Mac Hard Drive | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2091895_defrag-mac-hard-drive.html#ixzz0xBRZIz6U

Products Affected

Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS X 10.0, Mac OS X 10.5

Do I need to optimize?

You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X. Here's why:

* Hard disk capacity is generally much greater now than a few years ago. With more free space available, the file system doesn't need to fill up every "nook and cranny." Mac OS Extended formatting (HFS Plus) avoids reusing space from deleted files as much as possible, to avoid prematurely filling small areas of recently-freed space.
* Mac OS X 10.2 and later includes delayed allocation for Mac OS X Extended-formatted volumes. This allows a number of small allocations to be combined into a single large allocation in one area of the disk.
* Fragmentation was often caused by continually appending data to existing files, especially with resource forks. With faster hard drives and better caching, as well as the new application packaging format, many applications simply rewrite the entire file each time. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther can also automatically defragment such slow-growing files. This process is sometimes known as "Hot-File-Adaptive-Clustering."
* Aggressive read-ahead and write-behind caching means that minor fragmentation has less effect on perceived system performance.

For these reasons, there is little benefit to defragmenting.

Note:Mac OS X systems use hundreds of thousands of small files, many of which are rarely accessed. Optimizing them can be a major effort for very little practical gain. There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band" for rapid reads during system startup might be moved during defragmentation, which would decrease performance.

If you think you might need to defragment

Try restarting first. It might help, and it's easy to do.

If your disks are almost full, and you often modify or create large files (such as editing video, but see the Tip below if you use iMovie and Mac OS X 10.3), there's a chance the disks could be fragmented. In this case, you might benefit from defragmentation, which can be performed with some third-party disk utilities.

Another option is to back up your important files, erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files.

Tip: If you use iMovie with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, and FileVault is enabled, performance issues can occur if your project is located in your encrypted home folder (including the desktop).

Have good weekends

Defragmenting a mac - some things I learned this week

By an eHow Contributor
I want to do this! What's This?

Defragging a Mac hard drive is a thing of the past because of the way that OS X manages files. After installing system updates or new applications, the computer will optimize itself. There are ways to periodically clean up your computer and defrag a Mac hard drive, but it can take a few hours and may not improve performance significantly.
From Essentials: Computer Troubleshooting

How to Get Your Computer to Boot Faster

When I worked in a television newsroom, it took so long to boot up our computers that we were… More
How to Install More RAM on Your Computer

Every year technological advancements encourage you to enhance your computer's efficiency. You… More
How to Format a Hard Drive With Windows XP

If you want to format a hard drive while using or installing Windows XP, you've come to the… More
How to Troubleshoot a Computer

Before calling technical service and paying for "help," take a look at your computer yourself. A… More
How to Pick an Antivirus Product

Security software is a viable means of warding off bugs, Trojans, and worms without having to… More

Defragging a Mac hard drive is a thing of the past because of the way that OS X manages files.… More
How to Defragment a PC Hard Disk

Over time, files and applications become scattered in various places on your hard disk. Disk… More

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

Defrag a Mac Hard Drive

Open the Disc Utility program, which is located in the "Utilities" folder of your "Applications" directory. Highlight your hard drive from the list and have the program repair the permissions. This is an easy way to correct some common computer errors which could be slowing your hard drive down.

Look for a program to defrag your computer. There are some free utilities that can work on your Mac hard drive, but you should seriously consider purchasing a program because of the stability and support that comes with a purchased product. Defragging programs include Disc Warrior and iDefrag (see Resources below).

Take steps to back up your data before you defrag a Mac hard drive. Data loss is unlikely with well-respected programs, but defragging is a long and extensive process, and you can never be too safe.

Plan to run your defragging program during a time when you won't need to use your computer. No matter which program you decide on, it can take up to several hours to defrag a Mac hard drive. Some companies even suggest running the program overnight.

Notice whether defragging your Mac hard drive improved your computer's performance. Opening applications and large files should be faster if only by a few seconds. If your hard drive is more than 75 percent full, the performance increase may be more noticeable.

www.macpaw.com Ads by Google
Tips & Warnings

OS X automatically defrags files that are less than 20 megabytes. These files will make up the majority of your computer, unless you use it for specialized tasks such as software compiling or high-quality graphic design.
Backing up your documents and then erasing the computer's hard drive can be a crude, but inexpensive and effective way of defragging it.
Be sure that a defragging program can give you a detailed report of what was changed and how many files were affected by the process.
Clearing your computer's various caches, including those associated with your Internet browser, can also help speed up your machine.

Read more: How to Defrag a Mac Hard Drive | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2091895_defrag-mac-hard-drive.html#ixzz0xBRZIz6U

Products Affected

Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS X 10.0, Mac OS X 10.5

Do I need to optimize?

You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X. Here's why:

* Hard disk capacity is generally much greater now than a few years ago. With more free space available, the file system doesn't need to fill up every "nook and cranny." Mac OS Extended formatting (HFS Plus) avoids reusing space from deleted files as much as possible, to avoid prematurely filling small areas of recently-freed space.
* Mac OS X 10.2 and later includes delayed allocation for Mac OS X Extended-formatted volumes. This allows a number of small allocations to be combined into a single large allocation in one area of the disk.
* Fragmentation was often caused by continually appending data to existing files, especially with resource forks. With faster hard drives and better caching, as well as the new application packaging format, many applications simply rewrite the entire file each time. Mac OS X 10.3 Panther can also automatically defragment such slow-growing files. This process is sometimes known as "Hot-File-Adaptive-Clustering."
* Aggressive read-ahead and write-behind caching means that minor fragmentation has less effect on perceived system performance.

For these reasons, there is little benefit to defragmenting.

Note:Mac OS X systems use hundreds of thousands of small files, many of which are rarely accessed. Optimizing them can be a major effort for very little practical gain. There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band" for rapid reads during system startup might be moved during defragmentation, which would decrease performance.

If you think you might need to defragment

Try restarting first. It might help, and it's easy to do.

If your disks are almost full, and you often modify or create large files (such as editing video, but see the Tip below if you use iMovie and Mac OS X 10.3), there's a chance the disks could be fragmented. In this case, you might benefit from defragmentation, which can be performed with some third-party disk utilities.

Another option is to back up your important files, erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files.

Tip: If you use iMovie with Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, and FileVault is enabled, performance issues can occur if your project is located in your encrypted home folder (including the desktop).

Have good weekends

WHAAAAT THE FOOOOOOK :nenau

Don't go poking around in Mac's your just asking for trouble, I just switch it on....:augie it seems to know what it's doing....:blast

yeah what the fook - i copied and pasted from the page but it didn't paste quite like it looked and read.

i need defragmenting - too much white noise

pip pip

Back
Top Bottom