Mac user? Why?

On another note ....

Now I'm a complete numpty with computers :rob

I can change a tyre in the desert, break the bead with mi teeth. I can strip a gearbox down with mi Swiss Army Knife ... but computers are a black art :blast

Until I got an iMac ;)

My big bruvver up on Fairisle created and maintains my website Adventure.GS but he's a busy guy and so, having bought the Mac, I've experimented :eek:

Here's the web site I've created with my own novice fingertips... on the Mac. It wants a bit of fettling but I will soon be pointing the domain name at it.

Let me know what you think .... any suggestions :eek:

http://web.me.com/mick_wheeler/Adventure.GS/Welcome.html

I couldn't have done anything like this BM (Before Mac) :thumb
:beerjug:

WOW, well done on the website Micky!

I have just looked through it for about 20 mins, some stunning photography mate...

I am dead jealous as well..

How far do you think i would get in a week? I have wanted to do a trip 'east' for years, looking at your site has inspired me to do it.

I dont mind riding all day, i was thinking Transylvania, ever been??

Lots of questions, should i go alone? what prep should i do, R1150 GSA or F650 GS?

I'd be grateful for some/any advice mate...

Steve.

WOW, well done on the website Micky!

I have just looked through it for about 20 mins, some stunning photography mate...

I am dead jealous as well..

How far do you think i would get in a week? I have wanted to do a trip 'east' for years, looking at your site has inspired me to do it.

I dont mind riding all day, i was thinking Transylvania, ever been??

Lots of questions, should i go alone? what prep should i do, R1150 GSA or F650 GS?

I'd be grateful for some/any advice mate...

Steve.

Well many thanks for the comments, but if you only have a week I would suggest, I'm afraid, that you don't even try :nenau

Been to Transylvania but at the very best it's a two week trip ...

Doesn't matter what bike you take ... just remember that the slower you travel the more you see ...

Go it alone or with a companion ... doesn't matter. Whatever suits you best. You have to chose a travel companion with great care, you'll be spending more time with them than with a wife at home :eek:

Not much help I'm afraid ...

Is THIS a virus?
Have I just been infected? :eek:
Bugger! :blast

First post? from India? Did you click on them links Brian? I haven't but it didn't look right to me for some reason :nenau

All user information/profile reads search24pc

How's things?

First post? from India? Did you click on them links Brian? I haven't but it didn't look right to me for some reason :nenau

All user information/profile reads search24pc

How's things?

No... I didn't click on them, I may be daft, but I'm not stupid... or is that the other way round? :nod
It's actually his 2nd post... he did one the previous day as search24sc. Maybe he's touting for business.

I can't wait for this weather to finish, I'm fed up of thawing out the tent, mopping up the water and then drying it off. Must get myself a house... or a campervan :D

It's odd that several people on here are saying that Macs are easy to use and then adding 'Do sign up for the in-store courses'! I don't recall anyone being taught how to use a pc. Yes, I know they do ICT at school but the kids normally end up showing the teachers what to do.

Since moving on from an HP9836, I've had 2 pcs, a 386 and a P4. Used genuine Intel motherboards on both and they're absolutely great. If you buy decent kit and build your own, they'll match a Mac for reliability anyday - without wondering if your software will work.

Dick

It's odd that several people on here are saying that Macs are easy to use and then adding 'Do sign up for the in-store courses'! I don't recall anyone being taught how to use a pc. Yes, I know they do ICT at school but the kids normally end up showing the teachers what to do.

Since moving on from an HP9836, I've had 2 pcs, a 386 and a P4. Used genuine Intel motherboards on both and they're absolutely great. If you buy decent kit and build your own, they'll match a Mac for reliability anyday - without wondering if your software will work.

Dick
Macs are much more intuitive to use than Windows PCs

The difference is not about reliability.

What Mac software doesn't work on a Mac?

I don't recall anyone being taught how to use a pc.

You are kidding :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was an IT Trainer and Technician (MSDos, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, MCSE, Novell, Lotus ect) from around the mid eighties to a few years ago teaching people from all backgrounds and ages to use Windows PCs. Worked for a company which sold PCs and Macs and nearly all my training was for PC introduction courses. PCs are definitely easier to use these days but MACs are more unpack, switch on and enjoy. PCs need more TLC to keep them running sweet.

However I would still say that most people would benefit from more training, whatever system they use as you always learn something new. Yes some people are self taught and a lot of my initial knowledge came from experimenting with PCs (well before 386s and p4s) but training helps, that of course includes self taught stuff from books and videos. Everytime new Apple software is launched I check out the great product info and demo pages produced by Apple and learn even more new features of the software.

I did happen to attend an free iPhoto in-store course one day while in an Apple store but it just included everything that was already available online from Apple. Had I not already used the online Apple stuff then it would have been a very informative half hour covering some of the latest features on iPhoto in a very polished demo, and for nothing. Probably at least a dozen or more of the staff in that shop could have presented an iPhoto presentation.

Do sign up for the in-store courses'!

This all depends prior computer use and aptitude. I would guess the vast majority of Mac users find them very intuitive, much more so than Windows, and don't need courses but a few would benefit.

I think my wife's recent experience with Apple is a good example. She is a non technical senior citizen who has never mastered text messaging and recently went from a bog standard mobile to an iPhone. She was a bit surprised when opening the box to find no instruction manual, just a piece of paper that said plug into computer (PC or Mac) and then run iTunes.

Now she navigates around her iPhone sending texts and email, using apps, etc. like she has done it all her life. Everything is so obvious to the average user that a big thick instruction book is not needed.

Back
Top Bottom