Mac user? Why?

digga

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of buying into the Apple 'way of life' ... any tips, recommended software. how easy to get used to? etc

any experience/ views appreciated..

ta!

Loads of reasons for going the Mac way ... but in a nutshell, for a numpty like me, they're bloody great. No way I'd go back to a PC ;)

Not never ... everything works out of the box, first time, every time, all the time :thumb
:beerjug:

Loads of reasons for going the Mac way ... but in a nutshell, for a numpty like me, they're bloody great. No way I'd go back to a PC ;)

Not never ... everything works out of the box, first time, every time, all the time :thumb

Wot he said!

Macs work the way computers should. Like a consumer product not a hobbyist both.

You don't have to worry about drivers, you don't need to know how the thing works, it just does.

Once you get used to a slightly different way of doing things you'll never look back.

And, for the moment at least, you don't need to worry about viruses or anti-virus software which seems to cause as many problems as the viruses themselves

quite a few reasons

lets start

Desktop with just one wire

if you really work a Mac hard it will fall over, but it's less frequent than a PC, the other benifits are simple Apple make both bits of the puzzle. The hardware and the software. So if it says it works with a Mac it'll just work, they're quirky and you do need to learn to be tidy or they get moody but, we're in the process to move totally across to'em not cause marketing types like to ponce about with'em but I'm sick to death of having a PC flash up a message saying "computer says no...!"

If you run VM ware or paralell, dual boot or whatever they call it to run windows as well you'll need anti virus software to protect the machine.

get one and enjoy it, take out the training option at your nearest apple centre and go to the genius bar, they'll teach you all you need to know.

:thumb2

if you really work a Mac hard it will fall over, but it's less frequent than a PC,
Really? I can't imagine what you must be doing with it.:D

I commonly have Photoshop PS4, Aperture, an office suite, RapidWeaver, Mail, iTunes, Limewire, VMWare/windows, half a dozen random utilities and Firefox with a dozen tabs open all running at the same time. I almost never close programs down, preferring to just leave them open. I never reboot unless I have to (to run a game in windows for example). My Macs never, ever crash. I'm looking after 5 Macs here at the moment and I doubt we've had 3 crashes in 8 years

If you run VM ware or paralell, dual boot or whatever they call it to run windows as well you'll need anti virus software to protect the machine.
VMware and Parallels should be avoided if possible. You can dual boot if you need to, better to do without windows if you can, but if you need it a Mac makes a btter platform for windows than any other PC I ever used.[/QUOTE]

What will i do with it?
good question --- nothing out of the ordinary, you can tell that i am not a 'pro' cos i'm only typing with one finger on each hand : )

I think that the 'both bits made by 1 Company is the crux..... i am fed up with waiting for windows to start up, then the constant updates, then it wants to restart .....
It will be an expensive forum follower and e-mail machine with the odd bits of prose and photo manipulation etc
iWEB sounds fun as a 'wysiwyg' ... (no doubt there is a windows equivalent??)

My pc is only 2 years old but makes one hell of a racket as the disc spins up and the constant drone of the fan is distracting.
The Mac does look nice, but it also seems functional to the eighth degree, and it seems quiet as well ....

We'll see what happens over the next couple of days. I'll be going back to the Apple shop for a chat - it was bloody impossible at the weekend : (

Lifted from AdvRider:

81069048.jpg

What will i do with it?
good question --- nothing out of the ordinary, you can tell that i am not a 'pro' cos i'm only typing with one finger on each hand : )

I think that the 'both bits made by 1 Company is the crux..... i am fed up with waiting for windows to start up, then the constant updates, then it wants to restart .....
It will be an expensive forum follower and e-mail machine with the odd bits of prose and photo manipulation etc
iWEB sounds fun as a 'wysiwyg' ... (no doubt there is a windows equivalent??)

My pc is only 2 years old but makes one hell of a racket as the disc spins up and the constant drone of the fan is distracting.
The Mac does look nice, but it also seems functional to the eighth degree, and it seems quiet as well ....

We'll see what happens over the next couple of days. I'll be going back to the Apple shop for a chat - it was bloody impossible at the weekend : (

Try installing Ubuntu on your current PC, it's a lot like MAC and free, no hassles... Just give it a go, it won't do mapsource but you did not mention that, it will do everything you mentioned...

Try installing Ubuntu on your current PC, it's a lot like MAC and free, no hassles... Just give it a go, it won't do mapsource but you did not mention that, it will do everything you mentioned...

Fair comment, although Mac is both hardware and operating system from the same company. That company also controls third party software in a way Microsoft never can, so they can provide a much more controlled environment than on a windows PC.

I've got a Mac for iTunes and general fiddling, but my main machine is Windows 7, which has a lot more software available than the Mac. I can get a higher performance machine for about half the money, I build my own stuff. But for someone who just wants a machine to work day in day out, if the Mac has a suitable application and there are no budget constraints, the Mac is probably the better option.

Ubuntu is quite impressive, it recognises hardware better than Windows 7, and as well as my iMac, from brief fiddling. A lot of free software, and no need to resort to command lines either.

People still use Windows :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Used to work as a Trainer for a company that dealt in both Macs and PCs so came over from Windows (Had the very first Windows release). Been using them for about 15 years now and rarely have any problems with them. All my home ones have been totally reliable and still running. Integrate all my Multi media and data beautifully with my iPods, iPad and iPhone. Work great with my Cameras and Videos with excellent crisp displays. Great for online work and no worrying about viruses. Work as media sharers with my PS3 so far easier to manage Video content. Quiet running, well designed peripherals such as wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad and take up very little room.

They are expensive but miles less hassle and sometimes you just can't put a value on that. A joy to use :)

quite a few reasons

lets start

Desktop with just one wire

Desktop with just one wire?

I aint got no wires on my Mac :nenau

Totally uncluttered :thumb Oh OK, you mean the power lead ... sorry ;)

Another example, when I went Mac I plugged my old laser printer in (USB) nowt happened, nowt at all :blast

Some time later I check and my printer is installed and waiting for me :thumb

The Mac never asked me if I wanted to install the printer, it knew I did cos I'd just plugged the bloody thing in. No searching for drivers, it just worked :thumb

Thinking of buying into the Apple 'way of life' ... any tips, recommended software. how easy to get used to? etc

any experience/ views appreciated..

ta!

Digga,
I know here in the big smoke, Londimum, Apple have just opened their biggest UK store in Covent Garden, as well as having another huge shop in Regent Street. Part of the cross over from PC to Mac is that they will not only demonstrate the benefits of this, but will also talk you through it in their shop. You may have to book this but it is well worth it.

Have been using my AppleMac Pro for around 4 years and although expensive, it is in a different league to a PC and windows operating system. KISS 'keep it simple stupid', should give you a insight to this brilliant bit of kit along with all the Mac software it produces.

Once converted you will ask yourself why you took so long to jump :augie

Graeme ;)

Digga,
I know here in the big smoke, Londimum, Apple have just opened their biggest UK store in Covent Garden, as well as having another huge shop in Regent Street. Part of the cross over from PC to Mac is that they will not only demonstrate the benefits of this, but will also talk you through it in their shop. You may have to book this but it is well worth it.

Have been using my AppleMac Pro for around 4 years and although expensive, it is in a different league to a PC and windows operating system. KISS 'keep it simple stupid', should give you a insight to this brilliant bit of kit along with all the Mac software it produces.

Once converted you will ask yourself why you took so long to jump :augie

Graeme ;)

I've never been exposed to Apple sales techniques, having bought my iMac secondhand, but I'm impressed with their ability to not only convert people to buy their expensive products, but also to get them to spread the Apple message.

I'm quite sceptical about the "different league" claim though, no matter how Apple might dress it up, their hardware uses the same processor as some pcs, and their operating system is Linux based, just as Ubuntu for PC hardware is. "Keep it simple stupid" is a laudable objective in many ways, although I suspect Apple achieve this by offering something with a lot less options at the operating system level (unless you are a Linux geek and happy to edit config files).

MAC's are the dogs, no virus's, so intuitive to use...Had 3 pc'c before they all crashed and burned, changed to Mac, not one crash in 3 years...:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom