schuberth c3

Go to a well known Schuberth dealer and you will be looked after very well - But its gotta be a well trained one - UK distributor seems to be letting too many shops sell same and thats not the ways its supposed to be sold

There was no Schubert dealer in R o Ireland when I bought my last C2 (on the internet) and I don't know if there is one now. As for a dealer here being well trained in such matters.....:nenau

Go to a well known Schuberth dealer and you will be looked after very well - But its gotta be a well trained one - UK distributor seems to be letting too many shops sell same and thats not the ways its supposed to be sold

Perhaps i'm misunderstanding th epoint being made above, are you saying Schuberth products are not viable for mass market sales because of a need for regular after sales servicing and/or attention by the "well trained" supplier personnel?

If so, this does not present a high quality and resilient product image. Personally, I've never had any such requirement from other premium motorcycle helmet brands which I have purchased.

Also, your earlier claims regarding having seen no problems with the C3 simply do not match the experiences of a large number posts in the forums of this site alone over the last 12-18 months. Perhaps the current manufacturing runs may result in slightly better product quality, who knows, but I doubt there has been a case of mass delusion out there in the earlier C3 client base...

However an authorised Schuberth dealer should be able to sort the problem out for the client - if this cannot be sorted out in my opinion the helmet should be replaced FOC

K

I like many others have spent a lot of money on this helmet and as I use my bike 6 days a week I cannot afford to buy another helmet to enable 'repairs' to my 'expensive' helmet. How much talent is needed to spray a helmet with water and watch the streams run down the inside of the visor? I rode my bike from Durham to Kings Lynn this morning setting off at 4am. It rained and as normal this helmet allowed water ingress to the inside of the visor. Very annoying.
I would like Schuberth not to leave everything up to re-sellers and actually accept and replace such helmets as policy.

I got the one that doesn't leak !!!

:)but the visor won't stay up above 30mph :( unless the hinges are nearly new, the wife's leaked from new:(, i know four others with them and they've all had problems with leaks or hinges. We bought ours through the good guys at Infinity's in Southampton, took them back to them, they sent them away, we both got new hinges and the rubber sealing strip above the visor replaced for free, no leaks now but 3 months later on mine the visor won't stay up in a 30mph breeze:(
Two friends have the schuberth bluetooth system too, fits well and works OK for bluetooth but not as reliable as my old Autocom system.
Definately don't try the C3 on any bike thats not sat upright, looking through the edge of the pinlock is not good.
Love my Arai:thumb2

I appreciate this is an old thread now, and my apologies for resurrecting it, but it's now mid August 2011 and I'm actually considering buying a C3.

My point is, has anyone/does anyone know, whether customers who have bought a C3 in more 'recent' times are having the same issues with regards to the visor self closing, leaks, etc?

From the research I've done, there doesn't seem to be much spoken/written about these lids since mid-end 2010, and even then, it seems to be about the helmets manufactured & purchased (mainly) in 2009/early 2010.

I'm wondering whether Schuberth have addressed the issues raised from the early runs of production and now build a 'good' C3. I have tried some on in a couple of different shops and the fit/finish etc seems to be really good.

On another note, can anyone tell me if the C3 in 'Racing Red' is a UK, current spec, colour please?

Cheers :thumb2

Only my opinion but don't rule out the BMW System 6 helmet, I did consider a C3 but prefer the fit and quality of the System 6 which I now wear and have no regrets. Yes, made by Schubert but to a BMW spec, 2 year warranty and better aftersales.

Here's one for you MarkyRR,

My wife and I have 2 recent C3's, bought 2 months ago. So far we haven't sprung any leaks but have only ridden in light rain. We're off for a trip to Ullapool next weekend and the forecast isn't great, so I'll be able to give you an up-date when we return in Sept.

We love the helmets and have fitted the comms system, which I can't really fault, even the radio's work! The Bluetooth connection to my iPhone is clear as a bell too, and once I found where I'd put the cable (somewhere safe!), the link to an iPod will keep the pillion amused for hours.

The visors for rider and pillion had stayed up fine until I fitted the pinlock anti-fog inserts, now mine drops at about 35-40 but the pillions doesn't, so maybe it's the extra weight or it could be the wind blast over the screen.

I,m still glad we chose these lids though, but do advise anyone thinking of getting one to try them on at a dealer as the sizes seem to be slightly smaller than other manufacturers.

Had my C3 from earlier this year. It doesn't leak and I can't find fault with it. It is fitted with the SRC which works well too. Previously I had a System 6 which came off badly in a crash, visor broke off and the chin bar fixing broke. Poor. I wouldn't buy another. C3 has much better build quality.

Bought my C3+SRC in April. A nice comfy fit, sun shade works well; doesn’t slip down. If you ride with the visor open, it slams shut at about 50mph. BT connection to sat-nav & phone very good; radio crap. The real bad news is that it leaks like a sieve; trickles down the inside of the visor and eventually the cheek pads become soaked.
Took it back to the dealer who shipped it back to the importer. It is no longer Oxford Products, but Tranam. If they can’t fix it may have to go back to Germany.
It’s been away 2 weeks now. (good job I hung on to my 5 year old Suomy, as no replacement was offered) I will post again upon its return. When the C3 & SRC are bought together it’s a very expensive piece of kit and you expect it to do “what it says on the tin”
As a helmet/system I really like it, but there cannot be any excuse for supplying a new product with these quality issues.

Previously I had a System 6 which came off badly in a crash, visor broke off and the chin bar fixing broke. Poor. I wouldn't buy another.

Errr...you were in a crash and the helmet came off "badly" and is therefore "poor"?

Sounds to me that it did its job as it was supposed to do (evidenced by the fact that you are here posting!) - if you have a crash of that magnitude your lid is scrap anyways no matter what brand it is- even if no damage is visible.

If you had said your lid had imploded after rolling off your armchair onto the carpet I might agree with you, but otherwise........

My C3 is probably one of the oldest in use over here as I bought it when they very first came out.

Problems :

The visor arrangement is too slack so the main visor WILL NOT stay up over 45 mph, this is despite new pivots and a new visor.
The inner sun visor constantly rattled when new, I was forced to sort this with a couple of foam inserts on the inner shell as my local dealer was totally uninterested.

Good points :

It does not leak.(both my System 4 and 5 were bad for that)
It is very quiet.
When running at low speed with the visor open it does not allow small insects to get into the lid via gaps at the side of your temples (both my System 4 and 5 were very bad for this )
It doesn't suffer from buffeting something that my System 5 was terrible for.

I've owned System 4 and System 5 helmets (x2 due to numerous warranty issues) prior to this and the C3 is better DESIGNED than both of them, nothing has fallen off BUT it still does not feel as quality a product as my wifes C2 or my older S1

Thanks guys. I've tried a couple of C3's on and the sizing (L) feels superb. I do like the feel of quality about the lid I have to say. The visor felt fairly 'ratchety', so think the problem of premature closing may be someway to being solved.

I wouldn't be going for the SRC bt unit just yet, as we have a cheap & cheerful pair of BT units that work really well, all things considered, but your thoughts are interesting for the future.

I'm just now getting tired of having to wear earplugs all the time (esp for my 10 mile-ish commute), and the quietness of the C3 seemed evident even in the shop, once the flipfront was closed. You know that 'muffled' noise you get with earplugs in.....sounded just like that.....be nice to hear more about that side of the helmet, if poss :)

Looking forward to hearing about your run to Ullapool too, Qjumper :thumb2

Cheers :beerjug:

MarkyRR - I might be able to help you. Friday week ago I bought a C3 in L (Silver) as I thought it would be perfect for my old R100GS. I've had it for just over a week and used it twice for rides of an hour or so. I can see it's a great helmet, the sun visor is an excellent idea for instance, but to be honest I don't really like it. It's a personal thing, the helmet seems to be great quality per se but it's a bit tight in several spots (it's the correct size for my head measurement and no doubt it will give but it's the first time I've had a helmet feel like that from new) and it's not as quiet as I thought it might be - but to be honest there's also something about the whole flip-front thing that doesn't do it for me in practice. Again, no doubt I could learn to live with the helmet and I could simply ask the vendor if they'll take it back (unlikely on "I don't like it" grounds, I suspect) but if you want one at a cost well below the quoted list (I got the helmet at a good price in the first place) then you are to mine. Never buy a second hand helmet and all that, of course, but it's spanking new apart from my trial runs - I've not even fitted the pinlock insert - and I'm also in Oxon.....! It's up to you.......

Hi Jon, thanks for the offer, but typically I ordered one yesterday (at a bargain £339 inc delivery!)! Interesting to hear you didn't like it/get on with it......hopefully I won't have the same experience! When you say it wasn't as quiet as you'd thought it would be, how loud was it, do you think? I know its subjective, but thats one of the reasons I've bought mine (along with the sun shade & flip front, of course!) :) Mind you, I'm coming from an Arai RX7GP, which is LOUD...can't even think about using that without plugs.

:beerjug:

Now your're asking, Marky! Like you I'm coming from an Arai and I've been meaning to try a different helmet for ages. I've got bad tinnitis, probably from not wearling earplugs when I was (much) younger although I've had custom earplugs made and worn them for a long time now (20+ years). I've been keen to try and find a quiet helmet. Much of the noise issue on an old R100GS is the screen and I'm about to make up various spoilers to see what I can do about airflow buffeting off the top of the standard screen which is the cause of 90% of the "problem". Of course all these things are subjective but to answer your question as factually as I can: with the screen exactly per the way I used it when I last wore my Arai, I'd say that the C3 is quieter than the Arai so long as the closure padding around the bottom of the C3 fits fairly snug to your neck. If I move my head so that the gap opens up at the bottom of the helmet (if you see what I mean) I don't think there's a heck of a lot of difference. Be interested in what you think.......

As far as other negative issues that others have raised, again simply being 100% factual (and I've not used it in the wet but at that money I'd be darn cross if it leaked...):

A) The front of the helmet is fairly snug to one's face and a bit of a fiddle to close over my chin with the chin insert fitted (maybe I've just got a big chin!!)
B) the visor is a fiddly chore to fully lock shut when moving. It doesn't seem to want to click into the final detent (there's a little snap at the bottom centre of the visor) using one hand. If you use both hands it's fine, but that's not really the point when you are moving! I've found that if you press down at a point about 1/3 of the way up the centre of the visor it will "snick" into place and lock but I've been having to hunt about to find the right spot to press to get it to shut and it's a bore. Maybe I've missed something.
C) the other visor settings seem to be fine.
D) The sun visor is a great feature but seems to be definitely off centre and hits my nose when it is fully down. I've never boxed so as far as I know my nose is still in the middle of my face. I'll look into that issue today.
E) It's a bit of a fiddle to get the flip-front to click right shut, the lock is worked by a Bowden cable and it's very stiff. Time, no doubt, will deal with that but I've had the helmet open and shut on quite a number of occasions when wearing it and at least half the time have had to really force the front to click shut.

Look, I don't want to put a downer on it for you Marky, that's 339 hard earned pounds in this day and age: you'll probably love yours as lots of people obviously do. This is clearly an utterly, utterly personal "thing". It's a well made helmet and it looks and feels "quality". But, all in all, I'm not (yet?), personally, terribly happy with it. Like you I got mine at a discount price (I paid a tenner more than you from Lids Direct in Watford, I did try Hein G in Eynsham but it was ridiculously cheaper to buy from LD) however I'm sorry to say that I would rather just have a no-nonsense high quality full face helmet that simply gives me good vision and quality protection as the noise issue is, clearly, much more a question of personal height/bike aerodynamics. Ben at LD was so helpful and friendly that I'm going to call him and see if he'll help me out. My other half likes the C3, though! Says it's nice to see my face (must be mad).........and they like it down at the post office when I did the daily run on the bike on Friday!!!!

Don't listen to me, though........http://ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/201108/blahblah.gif Enjoy when it comes!!!

To close the visor in the final position, just press the centre line of the visor at the bottom edge with finger and thumb pressing at the same time. The last click has to overcome a single bump on the chinpiece, in the middle of the visor on its lower edge, if that makes any sense.:beerjug:

Marky - I've had an interesting day. On the basis of never being beaten and giving the helmet a fair chance (after all I've hardly had it 5 minutes) I've been out with it a few times this PM:

The sun visor is still a little offcentre but there's a lot of flex in it which probably explains things and it is such a great feature on a day like this that I don't care.

If you have any prob with the flipfront clicking shut when you put the helmet on just raise the visor, grip both sides of the helmet, near the extreme edges of the visor opening so your thumbs are at the bottom (on the "main" part of the helmet) and your fingers are pulling down (on the side of the flip front). Snicks closed perfectly. Not quite so easy if you are moving of course.

My C3 visor still won't close fully shut if you pull down on just one of the visor tabs when you are going along. BUT......if you spread your hand so that your second and third (or fourth) fingers are pulling down on BOTH of the tabs and your thumb pulls upward from the middle of the bottom of the chinpiece - but not so that it opens the flipfront! - the equal leverage shuts it easily. Bit fiddly but once mastered.....

Let me know how you get on! I still don't think it's that much quieter but am now focusing on the screen on the bike and am going to back-to-back the C3 and the Arai tomorrow evening.

Just an update on this C3 the trick with the insulting tape is still keeping the rain out the visor detent is still as slack as a witches tit could prop it up with match sticks i spose but it is quiet and comfortable the sun shield works fine so i get to live with it but on reflection i wish i had got a Shoi multitec:blast

Back
Top Bottom