07 Dyna won't start

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

Bit of advice please, if anyone can help?

I have just brought an 07 Street Bob, I have only had the chance to ride it once and ever since then it will not start. If I push the start button the starter relay clicks but the engine will not turn over, yes its in neutral and I've tried it with the clutch in, I have checked the fuses and battery connections and all are ok, battery voltage is reading 12.9V so I guess that should be enough to turn it over, it was delivered on Fri from a dealer in Nottingham (robin hood HD), problem is I live in the north of scotland a long way from them, so getting them to look at it is not an option for now, although it has a 12 month warrenty I guess edinburgh HD could look at it but they are 3 hours away from me.

I have the battery on charge overnight and will try again in the morning but I'm not convinced thats the problem. So am I missing anything obvious here, this is my first harley so I know little about them all advice greatly received.

battery

what does the voltage read when you press the starter button
also check the main earth cable
sounds more battery related

Sound like

Since the battery voltage is high, there is no point in charging it any further.
First, check for bad connections to battery/earth/starter.

Since you have a voltmeter, put black to engine(earth) and red on terminal of large lead going to starter.

It will read 0v.

With ignition on, press starter button. Solenoid chould click. If voltage rises to say 12v or more, the brushes in the starter are stuck.
Get a hammer. Turn it round and thump the starter with the shaft of the hammer whilst pressing starter button. 9 times out of 10 this will free a stuck brush.

If voltage fails to rise when button is pressed, the fault is maybe solenoid.
Once again, move red lead to large terminal on solenoid on cable from battery. Shoud be 12v. Press starter button. Keep it pressed.
Should stay at circa 12v.

If it does, move red lead to other large terminal of solenoid. If it is at 0v, Solenoid is faulty.

With red lead on battery 12v, & balck lead free, press start button & keep it pressed.
Touch black lead to battery negative. You should see 12v. Keeping button pressed, moce black lead to engine casing. You should see 12v.
If you see 12v at battery & a low voltage at engine casings, ( with starter button pressed), you have a bad earth.

Hope this is of help.
Myke

Fault found

Thanks to those that replied, the fault appears to be the starter relay, I swopped it with the system relay and the bike turned over, swopped them back and hit it a tap with a spanner whilst pushing the start button and it fired up, repeated it a few times just to make sure and it always started, so new relay required me thinks.

something to help a big twin Harley that's been laid up for a awhile.

The valve are hyraulic lifters so the oil settles and the bike needs to spin a few times to get pressure up so the valves start opening correctly, this just drains a batterys,

If you remove the spark plugs and keep the fuel tap off (if it's got one) spin the engine up this way means it's not working against the compression, so it's easier on batterys once upto pressure stick the plugs back and start her up.

Back
Top Bottom