Sena SMH10 and Schuberth?

Poley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone tried this combination? Is it easy to fit the SMH10 on a Schuberth C2?

No direct experience but...... I considered it when I had a pair of the SMH10s and didnt bother in the end as I came to the conclusion you would have to make holes in the wind collar to get the microphone inside. I _think_ it would also be best to stick the unit on the helmet rather than trying to use the clamp. There was a thread going on advrider about them so there may be more info there.

baggie - I had a look through the advrider thread but couldn't find anything related to Schuberth there. When you say you "had" a pair of SMH10s - you've got rid of them now? Did you have a problem with them? Or just found something better?

arty - the video showed the adhesive attachment, which is the one I suspect I'd have to use on my C2. I was hoping to use the clamp, but I guess the C2's wind collar will prevent that. Maybe the wired microphone kit would help with the wind collar problem, but I was hoping not to be the guinea pig ;)

baggie - I had a look through the advrider thread but couldn't find anything related to Schuberth there. When you say you "had" a pair of SMH10s - you've got rid of them now? Did you have a problem with them? Or just found something better?.....

For the ADVrider reference I was thinking that there may be more information there and it appears more people using the SMH10s. Having said that it sounds like using the non-boom mount would be a good solution.

I only got rid of the pair I had because I didnt need them as my "willing and enthusiastic" pillion went off the idea following a dead mate and another one nearly wheel chair bound through bike crashes this year.
I would still recommend the SMH10 of you need that sort of thing - loud, very easy to control with gloves on, good battery life etc.

HTH

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The advrider thread is a great resource - plenty of information and most of it positive. I won't need an intercom until next year (wife is confirmed summer-only on her GS) so I'll probably hold off until the last minute and hope someone else can report; but other than that it looks like the SMH10 for sure. Thanks again for the feedback.

S1 and Sena

I have the older style Schuberth S1 and a Sena. You can force the clamp up inside the helmet shell but it doesn't make for a neat installation - the main unit won't sit against the side of the helmet (but it won't budge, seems safe). It's best to use the sticky base (having cleaned the helmet surface thoroughly, I used surgical spirit as I had it to hand). No prob with the boom mike, goes past the skirt easily. Will nip home and take a picture.

Mark

S1 and Sena: pix

here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 3,737
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2,057
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,805
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,872
Thanks for the info + pics, GG. Is the S1 a flip-up lid? From the position of the attached unit, it looks like it would interfere with the catch on the C2.

Here's a pic of it fitted to a C3:

Clamp_A0302_1.jpg

Because it has to avoid fowling the visor slider, it sits a few inches further back than normal. This means the standard boom mic is no longer long enough to reach all the way to the front, so they sell a different clamp unit which has a detachable mic. This is what is pictured above.

I cant quite remember where the release catch is on a C2, but I think its in a similar position to the visor slider.

Personally, I was really keen on the Sena a few weeks ago, but after seeing the size of the thing, the extra I have to pay to fit it to my System 6, and the hard limitations on using it with a combination of Zumo/Pillion (ie you can have either but not both), I've decided to go back to plain old wired Autocom.

Mike

Thanks for the photo Mike, most useful.
Personally, I was really keen on the Sena a few weeks ago, but after seeing the size of the thing, the extra I have to pay to fit it to my System 6, and the hard limitations on using it with a combination of Zumo/Pillion (ie you can have either but not both), I've decided to go back to plain old wired Autocom.

Does that also mean that I can't combine the Sena with a Zumo and a bike-to-bike connection? That's a pretty major limitation :( And the "extra" for fitting it to the System 6 - do you mean the detachable mic kit?

If that's the way it is, maybe I will stay with my Autocom too ... or try something else, as I'm so fed up of my lid being hooked up to the bike with wires.

Does that also mean that I can't combine the Sena with a Zumo and a bike-to-bike connection? That's a pretty major limitation :( And the "extra" for fitting it to the System 6 - do you mean the detachable mic kit?

You need to speak to someone who really knows - I'm only going on what I've read here, the Sena manual and a review on webikeworld.

As I understand it, the Sena can only maintain one link at any one time, so for example:

Rider to Zumo or Rider to Pillion or Rider to Rider.

It can switch fairly quickly between them, but you couldnt, for example receive nav prompts/music from your Zumo and talk to your pillion at the same time. It's one or the other.

For bike to bike, you're also limited to either the Sena system, which every rider will then need to have, or I think there is one PMR radio available from a few years ago which has a Bluetooth connection. Though I dont know if it will actually work with the Sena as Bluetooth can be a bit tempermental at times - especially the older stuff.

As I said, please speak to someone who knows before you commit!

The extra bit is the detachable mic bit, about £44 plus postage I think:

sena_part_no_a_0302_cropp__79423.jpg

Regards,

Mike

Sena SMH10 - Experience-sharing event

Hello Bros and Sis,

We, Sena Technologies are a leading provider of Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset & Intercom as you know. We prepared a smart experience-sharing event for you, Sena SMH10 users!
Just check the link below and do not miss a chance for free SMH10. Looking forward to getting lots of feedbacks from you.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/media_review/share_experiences.html

Please have a chance to get SMH10 by posting your experience to facebook!
Our Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/senabluetooth

Sena SMH10 - New Year Sharing Event

Hello buddies,

To greet New Year, we have prepared exciting January event! Just share your experience of motorcycle riding and have a chance to win our small prize!

Click the following link below to participate in our January event.

Don't hesitate to have a chance to become a SMH10 user.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/media_review/event/share_experiences_201101.html

Please have a chance to get SMH10 by posting your experience to facebook!
Our Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/senabluetooth

Anyone tried this combination? Is it easy to fit the SMH10 on a Schuberth C2?

I think the SENA site has some good pictures of this fitted, i went for a wired microphone which has saved a lot of messing in my Shoei as I haven't used the boom microphone from the outside but it does have an internal one - Not describing myself very well but worth a look on the web.

Sorry, nothing on the SENA website about the C2 it was the C3 I saw, went on there to send Sena an email to correct a 'So Called Expert' about something else and had a look for you.

Back
Top Bottom