Thread: My Fun Day Out at Lumb Farm .. almost

My Fun Day Out at Lumb Farm .. almost

Well it started off pretty well. Loaded up the XC Friday for an early Saturady morning start aiming to get To Lumb Farm, pitch the tent and join the 10 am rideout.

My mate Simon came by at 7am and we set off, over the Cat & Fiddle, through Buxton, worked over to the A6 and on to Ripley. Pulled in for fuel at the Texaco garage at Ripley and managed to break the key in half in the fuel cap.

Bugger ... half the key stuck in the filler cap. Just then Clive stopped on route to Lumb Farm and lent me some fine tipped pliers. That pulled the half key out.

Still all is not lost ... called my wife and she set off with my spare key and Simon headed back to Buxton to rendezvous with her at the station car-park.

I sat in the Texaco station and Spout's rideout called for fuel, then MickDB1 came by and gave me his mobile number and we loosely arranged for me to jump on Skygods rideout at Yonderman Cafe, Wardlow at 12.30.

Simon returned with my spare key at just before Midday, went to Lumb dropped off my gear and turned around to meet at Wardlow. Simon decided to hang out at Lumb rather than do the ride out. Took bloody ages to get there (about 27 miles I think) but manage to catch Skygod's crew just as they were leaving at about 1.15pm.

Cool - I was back in business, Did some great old favourite lanes and worked over towards Abney Gliding club to do the long lane that gets real steep at the end. Turned at Abney, went up the narrow tamac lane by the phone box. Stopped the engine for a young girl on a pony to pass by and that was it ... dead ! Just electrics, no lights nothing. Completely dead.

We pulled the plastics off & checked everything visible but no joy.

I couldn't get any phone signal on 02 up there so I figured I'd roll back to the call box at the end of the lane and call for recovery. Sounded like an ideal plan so the guys carried on. I rolled to the phone box but it wasn't accepting any money!!! Arrrrrgh!!.

There was no one around to ask so I thought for a while and then set off to walk to Great Hucklow - which I figured was about a mile or so - and reckoned on getting some mobile phone signal at some point along the way. In fact I didn't get a signal until I was nearly in the village - must have been about three miles. Not good in Enduro boots - big blister on my ankle now.

Got a signal and then realised I didn't have my bike recovery number with me - it was on my phone but I'd reset it the other week and hadn't synched the number back on ....... so I called my wife out again ( for the 2nd time ).

I went to sit in the pub at Great Hucklow - this was about 4pm. Helen turned up with car and trailer about 6 ish and we went to recover the XC. I was planning on driving home, dropping the bike and hoofing it back to Lumb Farm in the car.

First thing Helen said was ... I think the car is playing up.

In fact it was ... after a couple of miles it went into 'limp home' mode with lots of flashing lights and messages saying take to dealer.

Limped home for 8pm.

Called up my mate Simon who was still at Lumb farm and explained I couldn't get back over.

So all in all - didn't really get to catch up with anyone and did an hour of laning.

Oh yeah - was gonna take a few pictures .. brought the camera but left the battery pack at home.

Hopes your Lumb Farm worked out better than mine..

Paul

I should change this Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulXC View Post
    Well it started off pretty well. Loaded up the XC Friday for an early Saturady morning start aiming to get To Lumb Farm, pitch the tent and join the 10 am rideout.

My mate Simon came by at 7am and we set off, over the Cat & Fiddle, through Buxton, worked over to the A6 and on to Ripley. Pulled in for fuel at the Texaco garage at Ripley and managed to break the key in half in the fuel cap.

Bugger ... half the key stuck in the filler cap. Just then Clive stopped on route to Lumb Farm and lent me some fine tipped pliers. That pulled the half key out.

Still all is not lost ... called my wife and she set off with my spare key and Simon headed back to Buxton to rendezvous with her at the station car-park.

I sat in the Texaco station and Spout's rideout called for fuel, then MickDB1 came by and gave me his mobile number and we loosely arranged for me to jump on Skygods rideout at Yonderman Cafe, Wardlow at 12.30.

Simon returned with my spare key at just before Midday, went to Lumb dropped off my gear and turned around to meet at Wardlow. Simon decided to hang out at Lumb rather than do the ride out. Took bloody ages to get there (about 27 miles I think) but manage to catch Skygod's crew just as they were leaving at about 1.15pm.

Cool - I was back in business, Did some great old favourite lanes and worked over towards Abney Gliding club to do the long lane that gets real steep at the end. Turned at Abney, went up the narrow tamac lane by the phone box. Stopped the engine for a young girl on a pony to pass by and that was it ... dead ! Just electrics, no lights nothing. Completely dead.

We pulled the plastics off & checked everything visible but no joy.

I couldn't get any phone signal on 02 up there so I figured I'd roll back to the call box at the end of the lane and call for recovery. Sounded like an ideal plan so the guys carried on. I rolled to the phone box but it wasn't accepting any money!!! Arrrrrgh!!.

There was no one around to ask so I thought for a while and then set off to walk to Great Hucklow - which I figured was about a mile or so - and reckoned on getting some mobile phone signal at some point along the way. In fact I didn't get a signal until I was nearly in the village - must have been about three miles. Not good in Enduro boots - big blister on my ankle now.

Got a signal and then realised I didn't have my bike recovery number with me - it was on my phone but I'd reset it the other week and hadn't synched the number back on ....... so I called my wife out again ( for the 2nd time ).

I went to sit in the pub at Great Hucklow - this was about 4pm. Helen turned up with car and trailer about 6 ish and we went to recover the XC. I was planning on driving home, dropping the bike and hoofing it back to Lumb Farm in the car.

First thing Helen said was ... I think the car is playing up.

In fact it was ... after a couple of miles it went into 'limp home' mode with lots of flashing lights and messages saying take to dealer.

Limped home for 8pm.

Called up my mate Simon who was still at Lumb farm and explained I couldn't get back over.

So all in all - didn't really get to catch up with anyone and did an hour of laning.

Oh yeah - was gonna take a few pictures .. brought the camera but left the battery pack at home.

Hopes your Lumb Farm worked out better than mine..

Paul
    Well, at least you got there and managed to ride your bike a bit.
    It's a catalogue of disasters though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Then I remembered. He doesn't ride a GS. Therefore he aint at the sharp end of Dudeness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    'Where there's offence, there's brass'

seems a jinxed day from start to finish - still at least you all got home.

Could be worse .

Mate of a mate's in India recent bike trip, truck hit him. Had had a helmet cam recording his trip. Anyway, this is what happened to him He's ended up on ITV news and Fox news in the states, only ended up with a fractured leg.

I should change this Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by MacFarlane View Post
    Could be worse .

Mate of a mate's in India recent bike trip, truck hit him. Had had a helmet cam recording his trip. Anyway, this is what happened to him He's ended up on ITV news and Fox news in the states, only ended up with a fractured leg.

Jesus!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Then I remembered. He doesn't ride a GS. Therefore he aint at the sharp end of Dudeness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    'Where there's offence, there's brass'

undead Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    they say things happen in 3's

always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by brassmonkey001 View Post
    Jesus!
    When I heard what had happened and first saw it I thought rabid Scooby Doo in the Mystery Machine.

He's lucky

Holy Shit - lucky chap!!!

Could be worse .

Wooah! Thats something you can't really prepare yourself against.

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Jeez, what a day........ here's a momento

Things can only get better

Andres
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    One of the five imbeciles of the vainglorious big swinging dick types of the Harley section

Fixed the XC ... I think I thought there was a bigger problem with it than there actually was.

When we were on the lanes we pulled one of the blue 15amp fuses which turned out not to be blown. I think we figured that there must be a bigger master fuse somewhere as all the elctrics were dead. We looked around and couldn't find anything.

Now .... if we'd pulled out the other 15amp at the front of the fuse box ........

Which I have just done and replaced it with the spare. All works fine now

Live and learn I guess.

Paul

Could be worse .

Holy mother of Dog, I knew something was coming and still jumped

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Argh - what a day!

Anyway, it was great riding with you and we'll just have to make sure that we get a full day's riding next time

Any news on the car?
    The OOaa bird is so-called because it lays square eggs

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulXC View Post
    Fixed the XC ... I think I thought there was a bigger problem with it than there actually was.

When we were on the lanes we pulled one of the blue 15amp fuses which turned out not to be blown. I think we figured that there must be a bigger master fuse somewhere as all the elctrics were dead. We looked around and couldn't find anything.

Now .... if we'd pulled out the other 15amp at the front of the fuse box ........

Which I have just done and replaced it with the spare. All works fine now

Live and learn I guess.

Paul
    If i was there i could have done that

Mine did exactly that and foxed me for a while, when water gets on the starter solenoid............... it blows it

Mine only did it once

They asked me at the bar at the Lumb and I knew what it was.................sorry i wasn't there
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by Tobermory Womble View Post
    Argh - what a day!

Anyway, it was great riding with you and we'll just have to make sure that we get a full day's riding next time

Any news on the car?
    Car still playin up.. into the garage on Monday I think.