Chain riveters

Without any doubt what-so-ever, I recommend this as the best chain tool money can buy.

That you for that ! I will now order one :thumby::thumby:

That's why this site is well worth being a member just for the collective knowledge, plus you get to take this piss for Free!

I thought about that ! I'm going to give it to Redrick to carry when we go to Scotland :D

I carry a 'G clamp' type which are perfectly ok and just need a little more care when using them. ie. rotate it whilst riveting.

Don't expect to be able to undo a well riveted chain with either, carry a new small flat file to reduce the flare on the rivet as much as possible first.

That's why this site is well worth being a member just for the collective knowledge, plus you get to take this piss for Free!

DID chain tool instructions here (just in case you're such a complete tosser that you couldn't work it out!)

:aidan

Don't expect to be able to undo a well riveted chain with either, carry a new small flat file to reduce the flare on the rivet as much as possible first.

'Tis true.

At home, I always take an angle-grinder to the rivet head first

A couple of points about the video:

• Wear some gloves FFS!
  • Despite what this guy does, grind or file the head of the old rivet flat before trying to remove it. The tool pin is carbon steel and will snap if it's not square on to the rivet
  • A 19mm ratchet ring is better than a socket as it means that you can cleanly pull one spanner against the other
  • Tighten the grub screw to securely maintain the tool in position A or B

That you for that ! I will now order one :thumby::thumby:

Can you link to a good supplier and how much are they, I have been looking at Motion Pro - which is best?

Sorry to dust off an old thread..

Anyone used a DID chain tool? if what they like ?

Yes, got one and it works fine. 2 lump hammers be fekked...its 2015 ffs' s ( 2 lump hammers have been fine for me over many years but recently I have got fed up of being a rough arse, especially wheen fekkin about with the weakest link on a machine capable of silly speeds).

I have always peened the rivet with a hammer until my son convinced me to buy yet another tool. I bought the Oxford tool https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/oxford-products-chain-tool-of292/2195/utm_source=google&utm_medium=merch&utm_campaign=feed?gclid=CMylt5P_qMcCFYLJtAodubQD3Q

which I have to admit worked ok on a 650 chain. Whether it will work time and time again on something chunkier remains to be seen. It did however cost a lot more than my hammer and satisfied my sons desire to fill the garage with tools that he will inherit.

We will soon forget the simple skills that we once took for granted. If you are ever stuck on the side of the road with 2 hammers and no chain tool or even 1 hammer and a bit of steel........ Jjh

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/motion-pro-pbr-chain-tool.html

I have this one and since its the first time I have used a chain tool I can't comment on it against any others. That being said I have used it on 4 chains,on 2 I did use a grinder to break the chain. The other twice the tool broke /pushed the rivet pin out quite easily. The riveter worked very easy.
I can see how you could break the tool however,it is important to line everything up correctly before tightening up. I would imagine the same will be true of most tools.

Back
Top Bottom