Dogbytes' R80 ST project

just followed the thread from its inception, love these old scoots, pls tell us which direction this build is going to take. i find these builds very inspiring!:blagblah:blagblah

I noticed you were asking Pete about his Project Katmandu frame strengthening. I originally did three sets of plates - one for Pete, one for myself and a spare set which Maverick had. I also emailed the CAD files to Mike Briggs in South Africa who has had a set laser cut out there and fitted them himself.

The project I'm currently on (at work) is coming to an end soon and I may finally get to spend some time in my workshop with, what has become, next winter's project! I'm off to Budapest, for a month, next Wednesday and then I'm really hoping to get onto the ST project full time.

Having bought the K1200S, as a commuter, I've found I've liked it far more than I'd expected to - so much so, in fact, that I found myself beginning to doubt that I could ever build the ST into a better road bike. Yes, I know, dangerous sentiments in the hallowed halls of airheadedness but there you go! Also I found the ST a little cramped for two-up duties. However there was one thing that the ST did extremely well and that was keep up very high average speeds - mainly by never having to slow down. It can certainly go round corners. So I got to thinking, why would I spend all that time and money to make something that was almost very good? Surely it's better to spend it building something that takes the strengths of the ST and builds on that... and I've always liked cafe racers. Then I thought "sod the cafe". So I'm building a real racer. It'll still be in keeping with the original but it's going to be a work of art! Ritchie Moore, if you're reading this. Talk to me about race motors!

Like this Oz ST? It's in road going trim in this pic but had quite a bit of racing success.

stracer.jpg

No, can't recall what mods had been made. Was for sale on several Oz sites for $6K. Will have a bit of a search and see what I can find. The bike lived and raced in South Australia.

Like this Oz ST? It's in road going trim in this pic but had quite a bit of racing success.

stracer.jpg

That's a nice looking machine - which I haven't seen before. I too would be interested in more info about it. There was an American R80 ST based racer but I can't seem to find a link to that at the moment.

The Ritmo Sereno and Team Incomplete bikes are technically lovely but a little 'over-cooked' for my personal liking.

There is also this very pretty cafe racer, in the Melbourne area I think... http://www.cafebeemer.com.au/

Am in Budapest for a bother three weeks or so and have decided, over the course of several moments of idleness to raise the engine in the frame for better cornering clearance. I like working on the frame!

This, of course, raises a problem - that of oil filter access. So now I'm planning a remote, screw-on filter conversion. Just as well I don't have many moments of idleness to contend with! Anyone know why the people who used to do them stopped? I believe Motoren Israel and Suburban Machinery are two who used to.

Did you remember to measure the offsets on the wheels before stripping them? if so then I can recomend Smith's in Reading for rebuilding, they did a great job on my Z1 wheels, and are just by Cox's blasting place, so only up the road from you. :thumb2

Did you remember to measure the offsets on the wheels before stripping them? if so then I can recomend Smith's in Reading for rebuilding, they did a great job on my Z1 wheels, and are just by Cox's blasting place, so only up the road from you. :thumb2

Actually, I didn't! I assumed that wheel-builders would have that kind of data. I'm sure someone here has it...

Excuses...

One of the reasons there has been little - okay, no - progress with the ST of late is that since I've been back in the workshop I've been working ON the workshop. One improvement is this... it's a Thermal Arc Arc Master 200 AC/DC TIG welder. Although not shown in this pic it has water-cooling and a foot control, etc. With the other bits I've done to the welding bay it cost about half what it would cost to finish my bike. At least I can get on with the remaining welding now though!

Attachments

• TAAM200ACDCv1.0.jpg
    TAAM200ACDCv1.0.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,157
You've got to love it! LOL. As it happens I bought this one in Australia. Italy- Australia-UK, a well travelled espresso machine!

Nice looking piece of kit (the espresso machine)! :thumb

Looking forward to following this thread. Always wanted to restore a bike. Someday when the kids are older.

Wifey is installing a new bathroom at her mum's so I sneaked out...

I have better things to be getting on with - that is I have things I should be doing first but it is a Bank Holiday and it's a while since I squandered any time on it.

I'm sure I don't need all this crap, why on Earth do they put it on there...

Attachments

• Frame bits removed.jpg
    Frame bits removed.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,065
The plan

This shows the from engine mounts clamped, one in its original position and the other in the new position, so that we can see how much higher the engine (or the front of it at least) is going to be compared to where it was. That is about 50mm higher. The rear mount will be replaced by a bush welded into the centre of the frame tube, so that'll be about 25mm higher. The point of that is, of course, to ease the issue of lining up the driveshaft. Speaking of which - I was tempted to move the engine forward 25mm too. We'll see...

Attachments

• Difference.jpg
    Difference.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,126
Roughly speaking

Just offered the motor up in (almost, the back is still too high) its new position. There was a bit of a clearance problem at the top but I've sorted that out :)

Attachments

• Problems solved 2.jpg
    Problems solved 2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Problems solved 1.jpg
    Problems solved 1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Clearance problems.jpg
    Clearance problems.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,021
The best way to raise the engine is as you are with the front mount and the back mount tubed through the middle of the frame tube, this will give you a reasonably straight driveshaft. DAMHIK

The best way to raise the engine is as you are with the front mount and the back mount tubed through the middle of the frame tube, this will give you a reasonably straight driveshaft. DAMHIK

That's good news as that was what I was hoping. The only question now is whether I move the whole lot forward and get into the new drive shaft coupling thing. One part of me says it can't possibly be worth it - but the other part says do it while it's all in bits anyway! :)

Decision made

Might as well move the motor forward a bit whilst I'm at it.

Order of ceremony, then, is...

Reassemble swing-arm and driveshaft.
Assemble gearbox to motor.
Make driveshaft spacer. I have some concerns about this spacer which I'll deal with in due course.
Bolt it all together and see where the motor ends up.

I'll use the front mounts as seen in the previous pics and see where the rear ones need to be in terms of the alignment of the driveshaft. It would be nice if it ended up central to the frame tubes, as noted by Arkwright, but I think that moving it forward may also mean it moving upwards too. We'll know in the next day or two...

Just been making a spacer to fit between the driveshaft and gearbox flange to get the motor in the right place 25mm forward and 50mm higher. This is just a quick aluminium one - the real one's going to be a bitch...

Attachments

• Gotta be....jpg
    Gotta be....jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,081
  • proto.jpg
    proto.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,088

Back
Top Bottom