Team GB training with Simon Pavey ahead of next month's GS Trophy international final

UKGSer

Administrator
Reaction score
bmwsmall.jpg
BMW Motorrad UK
worldofBMW

Press Information 13 October 2010

Team GB training with Simon Pavey ahead of next month’s BMW GS Trophy international final

Three finalists visit Dakar legend at BMW Off Road Skills

The three GS-owning riders who will be representing Great Britain in BMW’s 2010 GS Trophy – Alistair Allan, Kevin Hammond and Mark Kinnard – spent a weekend training with Dakar racer and BMW Off Road Skills Chief Instructor Simon Pavey ahead of next month’s South African final from 13 – 21 November.

The team travelled to the famous Walters Arena in the Brecon Beacons to spend time riding and training together under the watchful eyes of international enduro racer Pavey. Simon arranged a series of testing trials to prepare Team GB for the challenges they will face on their eight-day adventure. They included sand riding, tyre changing with hand tools, bike repair, river crossing and first aid. The tests were all tackled on the BMW F 800 GS, which is the bike chosen for the international finalists to ride in South Africa.

Simon Pavey, Chief Instructor at BMW Off Road Skills, said: “It’s been great to see the three Team GB guys back here once again. My instructors and I came up with some challenges and tasks to help prepare them and get them working smoothly as a team, using some of the trickiest sections here at Walters Arena in Wales.

“As well as getting them riding on some of the hardest trails at Walters Arena, we also got them into the workshop and doing some repairs and maintenance on the BMW F 800 GS – because that’s just the kind of thing they’ll be doing once they’re out in South Africa. Alistair, Mark and Kevin really impressed me with their riding ability, willingness to learn and enthusiasm. I think they’ll do their country proud.”

The international final of the BMW GS Trophy takes place from 13 – 21 November across South Africa, Swaziland and Mozambique and will see teams of riders from around the world tackling a host of tricky off-road challenges and competitions which will require them to work together and use some truly advanced riding skills. Other nations entering include the USA, Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, Scandinavia (Denmark Sweden Norway and Finland), South Africa and Switzerland/Austria.

teambmwoffroad.jpg

The Team GB riders have been practicing riding on difficult terrain at BMW Off Road Skills

teambmwtryechange.jpg

Team GB rider Kevin Hammond practicing a wheel change

Believe me, to get through the trials with the sort of scores the three of them achieved, took a level of skill that most of us can only dream of!! :clap:clap:clap

Best of luck to the boys! A blog to follow progress would be cool...:thumb

These guys have done brilliant, all of us that competed that weekend found it difficult. To get through with zero faults is amazing stuff.

Good luck guys! Do us proud. :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom