BMW Park Lane - lesson learnt

Nico

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Went to BMW Park Lane this morning as I had a problem with a screw which didn't want to come out. It was one of the screws on the engine cover that are replaced when mounting the crud catcher. They couldn't help at all and suggested to arrange an appointment with there workshop...blah blah blah...:blagblah:blagblah:blagblah just for one screw!!! They also said the engine oil would come out when you remove the screw: whaaaat?!?! :confused:

Then I went to Joe Blogg's garage on the way to work...20 secs and job done! And I even had to insist to give them a tip!!!

Now I know Park Lane was not great in customer service, it's just getting worse! :blast

Never bought a bike from them and never will, shame I live 2 mins away...

Nico,
I know exactly how you feel after I visited this dealership one lunch hour from my place of work in the big smoke. I went in to purchase a pair of GS rally gloves only to be informed that it would take a whole week to get them in for me :eek

After myself questioning how long it would take & not being a happy bunny, they then advised me to go visit their Battersea shop instead. Customer service would be a great word to use and practise in getting them from the Battersea shop for me but no luck :(

Have not and will not go back for this reason i.e. basics....

It pays to shop around and use alternative sources.

Graeme ;)

Went to look at Bike in their showroom a few months back and waited for 15 minutes before someone said hello and I was the only guy in the shop. These guys have major attitude and they should be avoided at all costs. Sad they are owned by the manufacturer as they would have been out of business a long time ago.

Park lane

Yeah, BMW UK should be embarrased of this operation. Bad attitude for people who want to sell stuff, in my experience.

AVOiD

Took my series 6 helmet in yesterday to have the ratchet mechanism replaced due to a fault. New one fitted, rode away, took helmet off at destination, same fault as before. Now have to find another time to get back into London on a saturday morning.

I always end up waiting ages to be served there too.

Took my series 6 helmet in yesterday to have the ratchet mechanism replaced due to a fault. New one fitted, rode away, took helmet off at destination, same fault as before. Now have to find another time to get back into London on a saturday morning.

I always end up waiting ages to be served there too.

in all fairness to Park Lane, that sounds like a Schuberth problem.. They are also crap and AFAIK make the BMW equally shite helmets that we tossers seem to buy without listening to any warnings posted up by our brethren about how bad they are...

Maybe I am cynical....:augie

in all fairness to Park Lane, that sounds like a Schuberth problem.. They are also crap and AFAIK make the BMW equally shite helmets that we tossers seem to buy without listening to any warnings posted up by our brethren about how bad they are...

Maybe I am cynical....:augie

Helmet's been fine for 10 months then the ratchet broke. Replacing it with a new one that does the same thing straight away doesn't sound like a Schuberth problem but a fitting issue.

I like my system 6, it's quiet, comfortable and fits well. I'd just like the ratchet to work again.

Helmet's been fine for 10 months then the ratchet broke. Replacing it with a new one that does the same thing straight away doesn't sound like a Schuberth problem but a fitting issue.

I like my system 6, it's quiet, comfortable and fits well. I'd just like the ratchet to work again.

OK , Sorry, bee in the bonnet, (for a few years)

Good luck:thumb

BMW Park Lane

I must be an odd one out, always had good service from the guys at Park Lane and Battersea. Even when just calling in to mooch round on a day off coffee and juice always offered. Taxi service from Battersea when your steed is in for re-calls which was a great help to me. Have only bought a discontinued Street Guard Jacket from P/Lane and do not get the bike serviced by BMW so they do not get much out of me. It is always disappointing when you get this type of non service.

Yeah, BMW UK should be embarrased of this operation. Bad attitude for people who want to sell stuff, in my experience.

AVOiD

Me: "I am looking at a used F800GS you have for sale, can you help"

Salesman: "yes of course, which one"

Me: "The white one, can you do a P/X on it"

Salesman: "Yes, but before we look into that one, have you considered a new one?"

Me: "YES, BUT I CANT AFFORD A NEW ONE"

Salesman: "would you like me to do some figures? you may well be surprised"

Me: "I'm sure i wont, how about the white used one"

Salesman: "Sure, we'll look at that one as well (?), do you like the 30th anniversary colour scheme?"

Me: "Yes, but i also like the white one i phoned up about"

Salesman: "bear with me, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the deal i can do on the new one, do you like the 30th Anniv colour scheme?"

Me: "Are you listening to me at all? i cannot afford a new one, now about that white one, (before it sells:augie)"

Salesman: "OK, The new one will cost you 800 more than the used one, have i got your interest now?"

Me: "Well, at that money, i have to admit the thought of a brand shiney new one is starting to become more appealing, tell me more"

I then get put on hold for about 10 minutes.......

Salesman: "I've had a chat to my manager and we can do the new one for 800 more than the old one, but not with a P/X"

:blast Fookwit..........

Me: "I am looking at a used F800GS you have for sale, can you help"

Salesman: "yes of course, which one"

Me: "The white one, can you do a P/X on it"

Salesman: "Yes, but before we look into that one, have you considered a new one?"

Me: "YES, BUT I CANT AFFORD A NEW ONE"

Salesman: "would you like me to do some figures? you may well be surprised"

Me: "I'm sure i wont, how about the white used one"

Salesman: "Sure, we'll look at that one as well (?), do you like the 30th anniversary colour scheme?"

Me: "Yes, but i also like the white one i phoned up about"

Salesman: "bear with me, i think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the deal i can do on the new one, do you like the 30th Anniv colour scheme?"

Me: "Are you listening to me at all? i cannot afford a new one, now about that white one, (before it sells:augie)"

Salesman: "OK, The new one will cost you 800 more than the used one, have i got your interest now?"

Me: "Well, at that money, i have to admit the thought of a brand shiney new one is starting to become more appealing, tell me more"

I then get put on hold for about 10 minutes.......

Salesman: "I've had a chat to my manager and we can do the new one for 800 more than the old one, but not with a P/X"

:blast Fookwit..........

Had a very similar experience like that at SBW for a 1200 but went on for longer as i was in the showroom. I wanted used he wanted me to have the PCP finance deal thingy, it took a while:augie he didnt listen so i didnt buy from them.

I purchased mine from Park lane and no problems and a good service but its probably not the best dealership for afterservice. I had to wait to pick up for an hour

Jim:thumb

I have often thought about popping into Park Lane for a nose around on my lunchbreak when working north of the river.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of wasting my time.:thumb2

I would have thought nosing around would be OK, just sounds like you would be wasting your time if you actually wanted to buy something.

Go enjoy your lunch break, kick a few tyres, then take cash to someone who gives a s***

:nenau

Seems like he was just trying to get you good deal. :confused:

ON a bike i didnt initially want?

Your missing the point, if sales people actually listened to people, instead of trying to put them on bikes THEY would rather you have, i know they would do more business, and get more respect.

This bloke offered me a p/x, then after attempting to beat me into submission and agree to a new one, told me a p/x was a non starter...

I have worked in and around the motor trade for over 30 years, Sales had a bad reputation then, and still have it now....

Re. the stuck crud catcher bolt.

Bod appears in off the street with a motorcycle of unknown provenance. Bod admits that he has never spent any money at all at the dealership.

The bod has a problem with a bolt he cannot remove for whatever reasons. The bod needs to remove the bolt so that he (the bod) can then fit a crud catcher that he has bought. It is safe to assume that the bod did not buy the catcher from the dealer.

Bod then expects the dealership to stop whatever else they are doing (and have been paid to do by customers of the dealership) to sort HIS problem out there and then.

Bod is then upset when they won't and stalks off in high dudgeon.

Must admit those expectations are even above mine...

Though how you are turned down is probably more important, "sorry all of our engineers are busy" is better than "are you taking the piss mate".

And had the dealer found a way to have a quick look perhaps he would have new customer for life.

In my line of work we dish out a lot of free advice to potential customers, in the hope that some will become paying customers, though this is a fine line and some punters abuse it, others can become very profitable, unfortunately you normally have to give something away first to find out.

I think BMW are well within their right to say they'd rather not fit a non platform tested item. for the simple reason if it went wrong the last person to touch it would be to blame.

but as others have said they could have just said we don't fit these and give a proper reason, it takes anyway the doubt and is the honest approach.

That said I tried to buy spend some money in there a while ago... wandered in looking shifty/ scruffy/ tired and generally shagged out... and got "no help not even a you there scruffy fellow get out, this is a local shop for local people!"

if that's the flagship shop it's geared to a different type of person than me obviously.:blast

Back
Top Bottom