Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding Skills - Please read

Riding Skills - Please read

Here on the forum, I've noticed from time to time that serious questions have been asked about riding. You know the sort of thing - filtering, overtaking, brakes and gears .....

So with this in mind we thought it was a good idea to add just a handfull of threads that may cover some of your burning issues. They won't all appear at once, but I'll try and add different topics from time to time.

Please take this in the spirit that it's meant!

There is a broad spectrum of riders with different levels of skill, some of us are new out the box and some of us have been riding for many years, commuters, track day enthusiasts, people who work in the bike industry...... and so on.

Granted, some of you may find this old hat, but it is hoped that you may get something out of it, nevertheless.

Usual disclaimers apply, UKGSer encourage you to ride within the Law, your abilities and the limits of your bike.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I was wondering who “we” were and why I should bother reading what you have to say. It would have been useful if you had introduced yourself or a least your occupation.

Police Officer (Traffic M/Cist !)
    Good of you to stick your head above the parapets.
    I look forward to reading some of your interpretations.
    Raising a teenager is like trying to nail a piece of jelly to the wall.

Click on this pint.... ....to go to the pub.

Dancing with the Diavel Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Right then, you have my full attention sir.
    We are never too old to learn new tricks.

2016 BMW R1200RTLC Iconic #26/100
    2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium #38/500
    2015 Ninja H2 missile
    2016 BMW M4 Convertable
    2014 VW Transporter T5 180 Sportline

Love a lot, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe...

I like it..... Useful tips. Perhaps we could move it on a bit. Any plumbers, electricians, decorators, insurance brokers, bankers, etc want to share trade tips?

Don't eat yellow snow?

Always thought that was a handy one.
    Musings on bikes, nice watches and general arse over at : http://mmcmusings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by G.C. View Post
    I was wondering who “we” were and why I should bother reading what you have to say. It would have been useful if you had introduced yourself or a least your occupation.

Fair point. I was trying to avoid the 'Oh I'm an advanced biker...' crap that gets up every bodys nose!!

My name is errrr ... Giles lamb! I am a Police motorcyclist, Class one in both bike and car, and was a full time civvy instructor for 8 years (many many years ago - as well as a dispatch rider in the late eighties!) before changing career.

There was quite a bit of discussion behind the scenes before this sub-chapter got up and running. 'We' wanted to avoid preaching, sucking eggs, and generally coming across as being patronising!

So there has been quite an effort to make this informative and interesting without all the baggage that can be associated with 'Advanced' riding.

I have and always will be willing to listen to any advice from anyone
    Anyone who thinks they know it all is a numpty
    bring the tips on matey
    My golden tip is - cos I am a plumber - Know where yer stopcock is !!

I’ve been told that my reply came over just a wee bit sarcastic.
    I thought I recovered well at the end.
    I have ridden with, and learnt from, some great riders.
    A couple have been police trained and they are very good.

Thanks for the introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by giles lamb View Post

Please take this in the spirit that it's meant!
    Will do
    Raising a teenager is like trying to nail a piece of jelly to the wall.

Click on this pint.... ....to go to the pub.

Can you teach me how to do the Hendon Shuffle? I've always wanted to do that

PS Without doubt the best few hours I ever spent on a learning exercise on my bike was in the company of Fife's Finest on a Bikesafe course

Don't mean to piss on your chips mate but I'm not sure many will learn too much from reading advise here alone.

Perhaps include Youtube video links to some advanced riding you consider worthy but surely more important for riders to get out there with an (again worthy) advanced instructor.

Anyway, good luck I'm sure with your experience your motives and knowledge are sound
    KEA

Shedi Knight Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronno View Post
    Can you teach me how to do the Hendon Shuffle? I've always wanted to do that ....
    this is it.... isn't it ---->

But cerealously,
    Fair Play Giles.
    yer a brave man for a start!
    Maybe now i'll get orf me arse and assist.
    Been meaning to for years but laziness and the inevitable grief that will accompany the topic stopped me.
    If i can assist - let me know / if i hinder let me know too!
    When i train i do my utmost to 'Keep It Real' for as we both know
    Expert means one who knows a lot about very little.
    Eventually this becomes knows everything about nothing!

maybe though - that just defines me....

ANYhow,
    hope this takes off and gains much interest.

oh - someone will ask, what makes me qualified to spout on about it?
    the short version;
    RoADA DIPloma / training riders and instructors for 18 years / MAG Rider Training Officer / Adviser to Irl. Rd Safety Authority / advisor to FEMA / co author of the manual here www.initialridertraining.eu
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Expert means one who knows a lot about very little

I thought X was the unknown quantity and spert was a drip under pressure?
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ogmios View Post

oh - someone will ask, what makes me qualified to spout on about it?
    the short version;
    RoADA DIPloma / training riders and instructors for 18 years / MAG Rider Training Officer / Adviser to Irl. Rd Safety Authority / advisor to FEMA / co author of the manual here www.initialridertraining.eu
    ppffrrpp, is that all..............

If the article on "reading the road" is anything to go by I'm sure you're onto a good idea Giles.

I've done a bit of advanced riding and I'll always listen to other people's riding tips. Everything I've been told I've tried to use at least once, some I carry on using and some I file away for another day.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and put it in easy to understand language.

OK, good that everybody is pretty receptive!

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Perhaps include Youtube video links to some advanced riding you consider worthy

I'm looking into this! One of my colleagues has a head cam which we're trialing. Some video with commentary would clearly be the best tool for the forum. Not really too keen on using work video equiped bikes or cars on an internet forum .....

I'm very pleasedto see this. Thanks to Giles and other future contributors.

You'll get some crap from certain quarters of course. Usually those who are, of course completely confident and competent.

I'll always listen. I started riding again 8 years ago. I failed my test 3 times. I have very little natural talent but love riding with a passion.

Since finally passing my test I've done about 20 days and half days of professional training, none incidentally with the IAM, of which I am a member (passed my test without an allocated observer or coaching).

Despite recently having an assesment where my riding was complemented as being at a very good level, I still feel barely competent. I'll continue to learn, train and hopefully improve with the help of good folk like yourself Giles.

My thanks in advance.

Now, how about some exercises to get me turning in a bit later on tight right handers then?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast