Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Riding Skills - Please read

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by argee View Post
    perhaps someone can help me, what is the twisty thing on the right handlebar for?
    Making noise I believe

I used the back brake a lot around town on sportsbikes to reduce fork dive and keep the ride smooth, also when two-up as it pulls the back end down a bot and helps reduce dive. On the GS with the funny front end it seems fairly pointless to bother with the rear brake on tarmac.

As to what to do when you f*** up a corner, well IMHO there is no "right" way to fix all errors, if there was then the worlds top racers would never crash.

However it has to be said there are plenty of wrong things you can do, such as braking hard, target fixation, sitting the bike up

Once in too hot some techniques help such as looking where you want to go help all of the time, and others maybe sometimes....

On occasions opening the throttle a bit may help, but if your way to hot it may be you need to trail brake to scrub some more speed before hitting full lean, yet on other occasions this may send you down the road.

At the end of the day surely the best bet is to figure out why your getting in too hot and working on not getting into that position in the first place as opposed to how to get out of the shit once your already in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post

On occasions opening the throttle a bit may help, but if your way to hot it may be you need to trail brake to scrub some more speed before hitting full lean, yet on other occasions this may send you down the road

so using back brake in a turn is a decision based on experience - but I don't want to find I'm in the down the road category and wish I'd left it alone ! I'm doing a couple of tutored track days this summer so maybe will get a chance to play about with this then.

At the end of the day surely the best bet is to figure out why your getting in too hot and working on not getting into that position in the first place as opposed to how to get out of the shit once your already in it.

agree but when you are in one of these situations its no good wishing you weren't there - you' ve got to think about doing do something ( which might be nothing )!

thanks for the reply

california superbike school

did level 1 course at silverstone national circuit this week. lots of good stuff on countersteering, throttle control, turn in points, quick steering. expensive but good as many others have found. what blast flying round brooklands, woodcote, copse etc. saving up for level 2 next year. first ever photo of me on a track !

Hey Hey! good stuff. Yep, it is pretty expensive but at least you've probably left with the confidence that if you go on your own to a track you probably won't bin it!

Nice bike (i'm jealous..!)

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Hello gang, why cant I see the links on this thread? I use this thread as a reference from time to time.....

Hey Giles, an interesting idea - will you be creating a sticky thread for each single topic? Otherwise, wading through pages of comments from other members will soon become tiresome JMHO
    I've been riding many decades but am always open to learn new techniques (passed IAM a few years ago). But have encountered many riders who turn their nose up to extra training. Coincidentally, I was chatting to a group of lady bikers the other evening, many of whom aren't shy to brag of their riding abilities, yet mention doing the IAM or RoSPA courses & they can't see what there is to gain from it.
    My attitude is: if additional training teaches you just 1 thing that saves your life, it's money very well spent.

Looking forward to watching some of your videos and reading training guides

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Hey Giles, an interesting idea - will you be creating a sticky thread for each single topic? Otherwise, wading through pages of comments from other members will soon become tiresome JMHO
    I've been riding many decades but am always open to learn new techniques (passed IAM a few years ago). But have encountered many riders who turn their nose up to extra training. Coincidentally, I was chatting to a group of lady bikers the other evening, many of whom aren't shy to brag of their riding abilities, yet mention doing the IAM or RoSPA courses & they can't see what there is to gain from it.
    My attitude is: if additional training teaches you just 1 thing that saves your life, it's money very well spent.

Looking forward to watching some of your videos and reading training guides

Oooo Blimey .....

We should do more on here! And there's so much we could do. I don't have a fancy GoPro, but maybe I should invest in one. The scope for little snippets on commentary, brakes and gears, acceleration sense ... you name it. So yes, should do more!
    I can't see why people sneer at training either. Some spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds on fancy carbon this and Ackra that (yes I have a fancy end-can ) but it won't make yer quicker / safer / smoother / better ... Training will though. Good training will stick with you for life too!

I'll make it my new years resolution .....

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Oooo Blimey .....

We should do more on here! And there's so much we could do. I don't have a fancy GoPro, but maybe I should invest in one. The scope for little snippets on commentary, brakes and gears, acceleration sense ... you name it. So yes, should do more!
    I can't see why people sneer at training either. Some spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds on fancy carbon this and Ackra that (yes I have a fancy end-can ) but it won't make yer quicker / safer / smoother / better ... Training will though. Good training will stick with you for life too!

I'll make it my new years resolution .....
    Go for it and perhaps consider being able to Moderate it...although we'll have to stop talking about you in the cocktail lounge

Yeah yeah yeah ....

My apologies for being so unobservant that this was an old thread - resurrected by Sneaky early today! Whilst bored at work, I simply read the posts without looking at dates.

I agree that it's amazing that people care more about the brand of riding clothes or having a loud exhaust and give little consideration to improving their riding skills. However, more could be done to portray a positive attitude towards "advanced" training & in my (personal) opinion, the IAM / RoSPA could do much more to promote bike-aware driver training.

My apologies for being so unobservant that this was an old thread - resurrected by Sneaky early today! Whilst bored at work, I simply read the posts without looking at dates.

I agree that it's amazing that people care more about the brand of riding clothes or having a loud exhaust and give little consideration to improving their riding skills. However, more could be done to portray a positive attitude towards "advanced" training & in my (personal) opinion, the IAM / RoSPA could do much more to promote bike-aware driver training.

Ummmmmmm, Maybe ......

But People have got to want to go in the first place. And what puts the huge majority of riders off joining their local IAM group is that 'club' image and mindset.

I'm afraid to say that the mental image of day-glo Derek on an RT doing life savers every 200 yards (whether that's founded or not - it's the perception that many have..) is what puts off so many riders ...

IMHO, if the clubs want to attract more new members, it's that problem that they need to address ....

This is an interesting old thread I've come across for the first time. I am a very critical person but more importantly, I am highly critical of myself whether driving or riding. I've been driving/riding for some fifty years and am always happy to learn. When driving/riding I always analyse what I am doing, the reason for this as it helps reduce mistakes I make. And no matter how well we hope to drive/ride, mistakes, little errors or poor judgement will always happen. I was a Class 2 driver with Giles's lot and retired twelve years ago when I was one of two Instant Response Drivers on our section. After twelve or so years in the Job, I did a basic Police Motorcycle Course with not only the most unpopular riding instructor in the Driving School but given what turned out to be an ill-maintained and unroadworthy BMW R80RT. This resulted in a 100mph crash on the M20 when 'wobble & weave' set in and was unrecoverable. Being flung down the motorway at speed resulted in gravel rash over my entire back, elbows and knees. After two years I was subsequently compensated for it. It didn't put me off riding one iota however had I been at fault, I would have had to given my future on two wheels a lot of thought.

It's natural, I suppose, to compare one's ability on four and two wheels and whilst I believe I am a very good driver, I wish I could say the same about my riding. I guess that because I now ride for pleasure rather than getting to and from work, I just don't get the miles in. I'm not crap, far from it, but I don't have the same ability on two wheels, hence the importance of self analysis.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit there but I am certain that observation of my own driving/riding and that of others is a great step forward to improving what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    But People have got to want to go in the first place. And what puts the huge majority of riders off joining their local IAM group is that 'club' image and mindset.
    I agree. The most popular comments I've heard are:
    - I don't want to wear a hi-viz vest
    - They ride too slow
    - I've been riding xx years and never had an accident
    - they think too much of themselves
    Actually, reading that back, I agree with 3/4 comments

I agree. The most popular comments I've heard are:
    - I don't want to wear a hi-viz vest
    - They ride too slow
    - I've been riding xx years and never had an accident
    - they think too much of themselves
    Actually, reading that back, I agree with 3/4 comments
    There ye go Elle get yourself back in there n teach them to behave like proper bikers
    still no deid

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    There ye go Elle get yourself back in there n teach them to behave like proper bikers
    Sorry Ee thought i was posting in your thread about the bitchy lady riders

(PS. note to self must get a grip ( that would be a first )
    still no deid

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I'm a great believer in "you never stop learning" and have done further training since my test back in '75 (yes, I know - I'm an old tosser!).
    I enjoyed Bikesafe and thought it was well run, in addition to which it was subsidised by our local council for residents (now there's forward thinking!), but my local IAM group seem to be a little "exclusive" in that I have now contacted them three times over the last two years for course details, but no one ever gets back to me.

Question:
    1. Is it something even my best friends wont tell me?
    2. Should I change my deodourant?
    3. Am I expecting too much or do they consider themselves so superior that they don't want to play?

Answers on a postcard please.
    Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast