Riding Skills - Please read

Giles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here on the forum, I've noticed from time to time that serious questions have been asked about riding. You know the sort of thing - filtering, overtaking, brakes and gears .....

So with this in mind we thought it was a good idea to add just a handfull of threads that may cover some of your burning issues. They won't all appear at once, but I'll try and add different topics from time to time.

Please take this in the spirit that it's meant!

There is a broad spectrum of riders with different levels of skill, some of us are new out the box and some of us have been riding for many years, commuters, track day enthusiasts, people who work in the bike industry...... and so on.

Granted, some of you may find this old hat, but it is hoped that you may get something out of it, nevertheless.

Usual disclaimers apply, UKGSer encourage you to ride within the Law, your abilities and the limits of your bike. :thumb2

I was wondering who “we” were and why I should bother reading what you have to say. It would have been useful if you had introduced yourself or a least your occupation.

Police Officer (Traffic M/Cist !)

Good of you to stick your head above the parapets.
I look forward to reading some of your interpretations.

:popcorn

Right then, you have my full attention sir.
We are never too old to learn new tricks.

:Duchess

I like it..... Useful tips. Perhaps we could move it on a bit. Any plumbers, electricians, decorators, insurance brokers, bankers, etc want to share trade tips?

I was wondering who “we” were and why I should bother reading what you have to say. It would have been useful if you had introduced yourself or a least your occupation.

Fair point. I was trying to avoid the 'Oh I'm an advanced biker...' crap that gets up every bodys nose!!

My name is errrr ... Giles lamb! I am a Police motorcyclist, Class one in both bike and car, and was a full time civvy instructor for 8 years (many many years ago - as well as a dispatch rider in the late eighties!) before changing career.

There was quite a bit of discussion behind the scenes before this sub-chapter got up and running. 'We' wanted to avoid preaching, sucking eggs, and generally coming across as being patronising!

So there has been quite an effort to make this informative and interesting without all the baggage that can be associated with 'Advanced' riding. :thumb

I have and always will be willing to listen to any advice from anyone
Anyone who thinks they know it all is a numpty
bring the tips on matey
My golden tip is - cos I am a plumber - Know where yer stopcock is !! :thumb2

I’ve been told that my reply came over just a wee bit sarcastic.
I thought I recovered well at the end. :D
I have ridden with, and learnt from, some great riders.
A couple have been police trained and they are very good.

Thanks for the introduction.

Please take this in the spirit that it's meant!

Will do :thumb2

Can you teach me how to do the Hendon Shuffle? I've always wanted to do that :D

PS Without doubt the best few hours I ever spent on a learning exercise on my bike was in the company of Fife's Finest on a Bikesafe course :thumb2

Don't mean to piss on your chips mate but I'm not sure many will learn too much from reading advise here alone.

Perhaps include Youtube video links to some advanced riding you consider worthy but surely more important for riders to get out there with an (again worthy) advanced instructor.

Anyway, good luck I'm sure with your experience your motives and knowledge are sound:thumb

Can you teach me how to do the Hendon Shuffle? I've always wanted to do that :D....
this is it.... isn't it :nenau ----> :steptoe

:augie
But cerealously,
Fair Play Giles. :clap
yer a brave man for a start! :D
Maybe now i'll get orf me arse and assist. :blast
Been meaning to for years but laziness and the inevitable grief that will accompany the topic stopped me.
If i can assist - let me know / if i hinder let me know too!
When i train i do my utmost to 'Keep It Real' for as we both know
Expert means one who knows a lot about very little.
Eventually this becomes knows everything about nothing!

maybe though - that just defines me.... :augie

:D ANYhow,
hope this takes off and gains much interest. :beerjug:

oh - someone will ask, what makes me qualified to spout on about it?
the short version;
RoADA DIPloma / training riders and instructors for 18 years / MAG Rider Training Officer / Adviser to Irl. Rd Safety Authority / advisor to FEMA / co author of the manual here www.initialridertraining.eu

Expert means one who knows a lot about very little

I thought X was the unknown quantity and spert was a drip under pressure?

If the article on "reading the road" is anything to go by I'm sure you're onto a good idea Giles.

I've done a bit of advanced riding and I'll always listen to other people's riding tips. Everything I've been told I've tried to use at least once, some I carry on using and some I file away for another day.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and put it in easy to understand language.:thumb2

OK, good that everybody is pretty receptive!

Perhaps include Youtube video links to some advanced riding you consider worthy :thumb

I'm looking into this! One of my colleagues has a head cam which we're trialing. Some video with commentary would clearly be the best tool for the forum. Not really too keen on using work video equiped bikes or cars on an internet forum ..... :thumb

I'm very pleasedto see this. Thanks to Giles and other future contributors.

You'll get some crap from certain quarters of course. Usually those who are, of course completely confident and competent.

I'll always listen. I started riding again 8 years ago. I failed my test 3 times. I have very little natural talent but love riding with a passion.

Since finally passing my test I've done about 20 days and half days of professional training, none incidentally with the IAM, of which I am a member (passed my test without an allocated observer or coaching).

Despite recently having an assesment where my riding was complemented as being at a very good level, I still feel barely competent. I'll continue to learn, train and hopefully improve with the help of good folk like yourself Giles.

My thanks in advance.

Now, how about some exercises to get me turning in a bit later on tight right handers then?

Class 1

Nice one Giles. Plenty of posters rate themselves quite highly, just ignore the flak. You`re actually professionally competent and I`m looking forward to reading a few posts about riding skills.

You have my support

Hello Giles

Good luck with the idea, you have my support. You can use some of my videos if you want.

Nigel

aka Advancedbiker on Youtube

The biggest problem with male bikers is...

Their friggin ego.
Common phrases of the average male egostistical biker.

Ive been ridin since i were knee high to a grasshopper.....
No-ones gonna teach me about riding me bike...
I aint going to no namby pamby poxy riding school....
Advanced riding is for nobs...

Funny that, these are normally the "nobs" i leave behind on the twisties,cos ive been trained properly,and i can read the road:augie.
So if you do one worthwhile thing this year, go and spend some of your bling money and get trained properly.:thumb
Its the best accessory you can buy for your bike.

Back
Top Bottom