Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading the road and using your vision

Another great post...

Quote Originally Posted by corsicandreamer View Post
    Well it made me think hard and yes there is room for improvement so a big thank-you from me, if more people read this you may well be responsible for saving a life (which i suspect may have been your motive in the first place).
    Cheers
    +1

Excellent thread, thank you for taking the trouble Giles, very impressive!!
    As has been observed, more of the same would be most welcome.

Might you be coaxed into covering urban road riding and possibly even the acquired art of good filtering..??

I'll understand if there are not so many pics on the filtering one..

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Lot of effort whent into that, many thanks. I hope that's what I do on most of my rides, but definitely good for making you think it through all over again.

cheers.

Giles,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. It's superb

Cheers

Mark

Excellent

Clear explanations, with good pictures

The amount of time and effort you put in clearly shows.

Thanks and looking forward to more
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Agree with the other comments,thought provoking and well put together.

Everybody can improve their riding/driving.

Thanks Giles. Excellent explanations and well written.

I leaned the 'looking without looking' techniqe to build peripheral vision when I was doing lots of martial arts, including Japanese sword work. So useful when riding.

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by mr badger View Post
    Thanks Giles. Excellent explanations and well written.

I leaned the 'looking without looking' techniqe to build peripheral vision when I was doing lots of martial arts, including Japanese sword work. So useful when riding.
    FFS where does Japanese sword work come in useful while riding your 'bike
    Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    FFS where does Japanese sword work come in useful while riding your 'bike
    West End of Newcastle, Sunderland, Byker.....

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

undead Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    very thought provoking
    our local council wants to reduce the ammount of signage as they say its to distracting that and turning the street lights off on the faster country roads

always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.

Thanks

Thanks Giles

Well put together and very useful. It's always useful to go over stuff like this as the more I read it the better chance of some of it sticking

Looking forward to the next chapter

An excellent article, Giles.

Many thanks for taking the time to create and post it. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then your snaps (and the clear explanations in between) are worth a million.

OK Blokes, thanks. We'll do more in a few weeks .....

Very good, loads of effort

I have a few quick things on my head while I ride.

- The mentally (tighter) a road becomes the more you really turn up your concentration. Lots of things starting to happen, lots of things can happen.

- As an experienced biker ALWAYS follow your instincts as well as the info as they will usually make you back off.

- As an experienced biker you should be able to safely, smoothly and relatively quickly ride roads that don't have signs or have very few. Some guys here such as the Scottish bikers will face many roads with very scant signage.

- Behind every tractor/ big truck is a twat about to do a blind overtake

I guess we all have our few that stick out

Very informative Giles, really enjoyed reading that......thanks for the pointers

Could you do one on how to find the clitoris?
    Evil C

The biggest problem is being an inexperienced biker, we can all learn more and improve and once over the basics look to advanced roadcraft courses and bike handling courses such as CSS to teach us far more.

As a newbie you have no experience to call upon so rely to some degree on luck, some newbies push this (in my day it was lads in jeans on RD125's with far more bravado than skill) others don't and try to be sensible, but this is not the same as experience.

To begin with you have an empty bag of experience and a partially full bag of luck (some guys seem to have a better luck bag than others for no apparent reason, other than luck I guess)

You need to fill up the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

And regardless of experience never go quicker than your Gaurdian Angel can fly

A response from another forum to a copy of Gile's piece made quite a good point:

If we can't see all of the road ahead there is a danger that our brains fill in the missing parts with what we think 'should' be there.

One good example of this is a section of track at the Nurburgring where most first timers get caught out, Adenauer Forst.

On the approach to Adenauer Forst the track looks like it goes to the right. One looks further up the track and it appears to continue to the right but it doesn't, there is a hidden very sharp left right in between what you can't actually see, causing so many drivers/riders to go into this section way too fast.

The driver's imagination has filled in the 'missing' gap of track that cannot be seen with a continuation of the curve to the right and Bingo! You get into trouble.

This video film of Adenauer Forst from the 70's shows how many first timers get caught out..... and have some bloody lucky escapes.... that might not be available closer to home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast