Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Positioning

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    "....To me, having received all that training, they commit the sin of not taking their knowledge to the next, higher, masters degree, of applying flexibility, experience, adaptability, to different scenarios. There seems to be a need sometimes, to over egg the pudding, rather than paradoxically, being smarter, by being simpler."
    Sums it up nicely. Excellent advice throughout the thread Giles.

I was told in my training; 'Never sacrifice safety for positioning'. It does make sense when you think about it - honest!

For example; don't tuck into the nearside for a right-hander (because that's where you have been told and think you HAVE to be) if there's lots of winter crap there. Instead, scrub off speed and move out a bit for the corner if that's where the better grip is. I know it's really, really obvious but it never fails to amaze me what I see....

No prizes for sliding into the ditch but claiming you were in the correct position for the corner

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    These techniques are all very well, but I have found I get told off EVERY time I go on a course because i am always looking over the hedge/wall into the fields for hares, birds, deer etc, or looking at the scenery - instructors are forever telling me I should be keeping my eyes on the road. WHY, I am out in the country, I want to look at what the country has to offer, not the boring black bit the tyres have to follow.

Thoughts? I want to enjoy my riding, but at the same time enjoy the scenery - I can watch the road out of the corner of my eye.

University of St.Helens Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Totally agree KR.

If I decide to ride fast (make progress) it's enjoyment in a different way. The scenery is ignored for want of looking where I'm going.

Basically it's what ever mood, road conditions dictate.

If I fancy a burst all well and good but I can't understand the rider who goes out to set the tarmac alight every time he throws a leg over.

I finished with all the white knuckle stuff many years/incidents ago.

To me the scenery is important, (I just don't want to be a part of it).

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    These techniques are all very well, but I have found I get told off EVERY time I go on a course because i am always looking over the hedge/wall into the fields for hares, birds, deer etc, or looking at the scenery - instructors are forever telling me I should be keeping my eyes on the road. WHY, I am out in the country, I want to look at what the country has to offer, not the boring black bit the tyres have to follow.

Thoughts? I want to enjoy my riding, but at the same time enjoy the scenery - I can watch the road out of the corner of my eye.

Ha ha ..

Well, I guess that we all want different things from our riding, and sometimes we want to pick and choose when we want those different things too?

I have a very vivid memory of a trip is Scotland many years ago and we were heading to Rogart?? (where the disused railway carriages are that have turned into a bunk house ??). The sun was slowly going down, it was a beautiful evening, we'd had a proper tear up all day .... and suddenly it was one of those magic evenings where we all thought the same - bimble on this amazing road and lap up the amazing late evening atmosphere. I remember an old stag watching us as we road past, peering down his nose at us with a bit of contempt ... brilliant!

So I hear your pain!

But ... If yer on a bike course of some sort then .... well yer there to work on yer riding and not the scenery aren't you .. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post

But ... If yer on a bike course of some sort then .... well yer there to work on yer riding and not the scenery aren't you .. ?
    Of course. How could it be any other way?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910