Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scooters in the Sahara the saga continues

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Scooters in the Sahara the saga continues

You've read the book...now star in the DVD !

On tuesday 16th November I fly out to Gambia to check on the Scooters in the Sahara Project. As most of you know this is a project started back in 2005 by Fannum, we then did a re-run in 2007/8 but cancelled last years due to problem in Mauritania.

The plan is to try to get together 8-10 riders/drivers for trip in March 2011. It is the lateest we can run due to weather/flight implications. I have chap who will travel down with us on a 650GS filming in HD video to make a DVD which will then be sold through Cotswold Outdoor stores nationwide in aid of the Scoots project.

At this stage I'm just looking to get a feel of how many if any, people might be interested. You would need to aquire a 12volt Honda C90 and prepare it to pass an MOT ( just so we know it is unlikely to fall to bits as mine did on the last run !) Your overall budget for the trip which is likely to be approx 4 weeks duration (possibly a couple of day less) will be around the £1500 mark, maybe a little more depending on flight prices at the time.

You can email me on dennis@scootersinthesahara.co.uk or dennis@oldgrumpy.me.uk or contact me on 07971 169189 or 01558 659785 but not until I get back on 29th November.
    Dennis (Old Grumpy)
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...

I like this idea. I was meant to have participated in this January's Calum's Road trip but had to pull out at the last minute due to the weather at home.

I'm not saying yet whether I'll go or not, since I don't want to say "I'm in" now and then later say I'm not going, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Thanks Dennis.

Oh go on then, we gonna take the proper route this time?

will i like it?????

Very interested...
    Looks fun fun fun..

Dennis - You can count on me for support - not sure I can do it at the moment due to work situation, but I'm certainly interested.....

Maybe time for another chat in the office......

Planning weekend?

2008 R1200GSA
    "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much" Oscar Wilde
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"Albert Einstein
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."Albert Einstein

Strawberry fields ... forever Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Top man ...

... Dennis, happy to provide any sort of support but sadly won't be able to participate on this one, unless I win the lottery !

I do however have two C90's in my garage should anyone be interested
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by oblertone View Post
    ...I do however have two C90's in my garage should anyone be interested
    I could be, tell me more...

Just been flicking through the book from the 2005/6 run.

I wish I wasn't so time poor

Don't follow me...I'm lost too Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by the lost soul View Post
    Very interested...
    Looks fun fun fun..

Oh, believe me...

It is, it is, it is........
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.....

Enjoy everything...regret nothing......

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Anyone considering it, just do it. (although i must admit going straight back to bed after taking the picture)

All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Good on ya Dennis and seriously - Thank You for your determination.

I'm definitely IN!
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Well that brought a few out of the woodwork.!

Good to see there still is some enthusiam out there. As many of you know its been a bit of a tough year for me personally this year and I'm just about to leave home in the morning for the Remembrance Service in London where Alison & I will receive Sam's Elizabeth Cross; a moment of great pride but of course also immense sadness.

I have today also completed procedures for the liquidation of my company so I come back from Gambia in a couple of weeks jobless and potless !!!! So I guess from here the only way is up eh?

I know March is a little short notice but it is about the latest we can get a flight home again and I beleive it i doable and yes Ian, the plan is of course to take the "proper" route. Not least it will hopefully keep us away from those nasty men with guns AND stop us from camping in another mine field.

If the "Scoots Central Office" is indeed once again foolishly being offered by Cal & Dan I feel it would be churlish not to accept their hospitality. Once I get back on the 29th Nov I'll post an update on the position and talk to Dan about convenient dates possibly 11/12 Dec? or alternatively soon after Chrissy.
    And many thanks to all who have posted so far.
    Dennis (Old Grumpy)
    Never ride faster than your Angel can fly...

Dennis- you can count on it

I'll call you.

Thinking of you, and feeling your pride for Sam.
    2008 R1200GSA
    "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much" Oscar Wilde
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"Albert Einstein
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."Albert Einstein

Dennis, all the very best with this venture, I really wish I could join you. Put me down for the next one in 5 years time, by then I hope to be retired and will have the time
    2010 BMW R1200GSA
    2017 Kawasaki Z1000SX Touring
    2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
    1989 Jaguar XJS 5.3 Convertible

when are you planning this trip ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-IQ View Post
    when are you planning this trip ?
    March 2011 is the plan, so not long to get things organised

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast