NEW SEAT, CORBIN OR MELVIN HUNTER?

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've done a shitload of miles over the past week and my bum is absolutely killing me. The standard GS seat is, frankly, not up to the job. So what's it to be - Corbin or a Melvyn conversion? I've tried a sheepskin and don't like it (rare for a Taffy I'll concede).

Recommendations please!

:beerjug:

This is a tough one to answer, but all I can tell you is that I had a double thickness gel pad and the seat re-profiled by Melvin and it was brilliant - I did 450 miles in a day without any numbness whatsoever. The flip side to this though is that I know others who've had their seats re-done by Melvin, and they haven;t been comfortable at all.

Try working that out:confused:

Corbin...........as ever is my choice

Last week in Europe we regularly did 400 mile days (in fact 400 last Sat and another 400 on the Sunday) and I had no probs with the Corbin

DIFFERANT BUMS FOR DIFFERANT CHUMS

Personaly speaking about numbumitus for some time , most people find the corbin is the real answer. I cannot fault my Airhawk seat cover.

Allow me to serve as your road test dummy on my 1150GS I have tried...

OE, Comfort, Melvyn and Sargeant and Airhwak seat pad and none can hold a candle to the Corbin I have on my 100GS. I have a set of Melvyn'd seats as my 'spares' and I also have a Melvyn'd single seat for my 100GS.

They look the part (as does the Sargeant) but it judt doesn't work for me. There are several guys who have done Melvyn'd seats and moved on to Corbin.

I hope to one day soon - though Bill Mayer saddles should not be overlooked here either.

judge said:
Found by me on eBay, bought by Maverick, sold to me, sold by me to CBI, sold by CBI to Fitz, sold by Fitz to erm... me, now NOT FOR SALE! Unless you've got a single seat Corbin to swap with it :D
you lot should be investigated by the police,.....

retroman said:
I've done a shitload of miles over the past week and my bum is absolutely killing me. The standard GS seat is, frankly, not up to the job. So what's it to be - Corbin or a Melvyn conversion? I've tried a sheepskin and don't like it (rare for a Taffy I'll concede).

Recommendations please!

:beerjug:

www.billmayer.com

It really is great - at least on my adv. Also proving very popular on the KTM adv as a replacement for their very special arse breaker.

bob

Bob, how much was your mayer, if you dont mind me being a nosey barsteward :p

~Stef~

stef

I think it was around $430 plus P&P. you´d have to check shipping rates locally. Mine is a textured vinyl finish as I didnt want leather. I think the leather is around 100-150$ more.

there is a price list on the web page

cheers

I've heard so many good things about Airhawk seat pads and talked to someone in the Picos (but I can't remember who) who suggested maybe we need a seat with an Airhawk built in.

Seems like a good idea to me....

Cheers

Dick

Is it possible to fit a Corbin front seat with a normal rear seat ? The Corbin website seems to say that I need both but they would say that wouldn't they ?

Sadly, Corbin are not telling porkies. Their front seat is much bigger than the standard BM seat, and there is no way the BM rear will fit on the bike with a Corbin on the front.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom