H&B Panniers - Pillion Legroom?

BarcodeMan

I've read on a couple of occasions (most recently on Whattons 'executive' thread) that H & B panniers may cause problems with regards to pillion legroom. :confused:

I think I've almost persuaded SWMBO that we need some shiny alu jobs (no anonymous phone calls please 6X!), and I like the looks/features of the H&B 'standard' ('expedition') model. Does anyone have any experience of these. Namely:

1. Does fitting a 37/43 litre pair cause pillion legroom problems?
2. Do they look vastly oversized when fitted (pics welcome!)
3. Anyone encountered any major issues with the quick release system?

Thanks in advance gang for your comments, constructive or otherwise. :D

:beerjug:

Attachments

• hb_alu_standard_2.jpg
    hb_alu_standard_2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 285
Keep an eye on this thread on Adv rider. It's quite recent so as usual with the yanks it should get a lot of replies. :D

Whatton thanks - are your 'exclusives' the 30 or 40 litre's ?

30 litres, I pick them up tomorrow so expect a series of posts pleaing for help on fitting the things.

Steptoe tells me I've got to move the indicators, so it should be interesting. :D

Graham,

I had some of those on my PD but ditched them to some dodgy Suff Avrikan who flew them back home in favour of the Zegas I've now got.

I did so for two reasons mainly, they are heavy too heavy for what is essentially an empty aluminium box.

Secondly they use thinner gauge framework (14mm I think) than the Touratech Zegas (which are 17mm) = more stress on framework.

No issues with the quick release they were quick enough though that said I don't find the Zegas a pain to remove. If you go for inner bags they really need to come off anyway.

Where they did score better than the Zega was their thicker aluminium made me feel more confident about sitting on them :D

judge said:
Graham,

I had some of those on my PD but ditched them to some dodgy Suff Avrikan who flew them back home in favour of the Zegas I've now got.

Stupid suff avricans will also by any old shite:rolleyes: Personally think the HB is better construction(read fekin heavy) but as the Judge said the frames is questionable. At the moment happy with my zega's and had them think close to two years now without any probs.

Something to look out for is the HB Gobi panniers, they even come with water reserviors and made out of what looks like durable heavy duty plastic. Sounds dodgy I know but think we might miss judge them.

<a href="http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/gobi.html">Hepco & Becker Gobi's</a>

The HB's is living quite happily on another 1100 which will probably not see offroad unless I take it there. :)

Maverick the Gobi's are also on the list. Do you have any pics of your/Andy's alu H&B's fitted to the bike? I'm particularly concerned that the handles will interfere with the pillions leg as the boxes seem to mount quite high compared with the Zega's.

TA :beer:

BarcodeMan said:
Maverick the Gobi's are also on the list. Do you have any pics of your/Andy's alu H&B's fitted to the bike? I'm particularly concerned that the handles will interfere with the pillions leg as the boxes seem to mount quite high compared with the Zega's.

TA :beer:

Unfortenately I don't have pics but my father in law did 2500 miles recently with his g'friend on the back with no probs. He would of said something imediately if there was a problem. Will phone him tonight as they live in South-Africa and ask his opinion about them. As far as I can recall the handles are pretty much out of the line of fire so to speak.

<font size="1"><b> Edit: 12:16</font></b> Just checked with him he said she was fine with it and no problems/interference whatsoever.

That's what I call service! :)

Thanks - very much appreciated. I think I owe you a Princetown pint! :beerjug:

BarcodeMan said:

1. Does fitting a 37/43 litre pair cause pillion legroom problems?
2. Do they look vastly oversized when fitted (pics welcome!)
3. Anyone encountered any major issues with the quick release system?

1. I have the38l version and yes they are a pain on the GS 1150 ADV for the pillion, makes it basically unusable for them.
2. Compared to ??? Probably a bit oversiized... The guy that imports them in Aus. had mine fitted before I picked the bike up. Mine are on my 1150GS Adv on his
pic site
3. Nope, work a treat. I ride 70% off road have been down the road at 100km/hr TWICE with them on , once I broke the latch off, I twisted a bit of wire to hold the pannier on and rode 1000km home, off road, no problems. The latch on the frame acts like a fuse, it's the weakest point. I love 'em, they are very sturdy, get used as seats and tables all the time and are totally waterproof. My fried as stock BMW plastic ones on his 1100GS, they have disintergrated and side opening is basically useless IMO.

judge said:
Secondly they use thinner gauge framework (14mm I think) than the Touratech Zegas (which are 17mm) = more stress on framework.

15mm & 18mm i think, but motobins catalogue states that H&B mounts are double walled so strength is probably pretty high.

they certainly been OK on my PD with heavy 41ltr zegas hanging off them. as yet.

i noticed H&B cases seem to have the handles on the wrong way to lash bedrolls, sleeping bags etc. to the lids :confused:

Back
Top Bottom