Thread: Top 5 lessons you have learned the hard way

Varadero explorer Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Don't let the feckers grind you down

Never comment on a women's hairstyle

Don't try and talk to a teenager before 10am

Remember your age
    Solvitur ambulando

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    After spending the last few years visiting a friend in the stanmore spinal unit having a cage installed and then later removed from his spine my top tip.

1 Never go out without a top notch back protector.

After chatting to his surgeon its suprising how many motorcylists and horse riders dont ware spinal protection.
    Most broken bones can be repaired over time but the spine is seldom repairable back to a full active life.

2 Use chinese plastic takeaway trays when dismantling parts of the bike to keep fasteners from being mixed up the lids stop the lot being knocked around the floor.

3 Always check after work on the bike and it wont start that its not in gear or the kill switch is off

4 Dont critisize your daughters choice of boyfriend.

5 Dont bye a playstation etc if you want to get to bed before midnight.

Drink loads of water when riding on a hot day. Don't say to yourself 'I'll wait as having a pee wearing bike kit is a pain'.

300 miles a day is always fun from start to finish. 600 rarely is.

Start too hot on a winter's day. You'll be cool enough in a minute.

Never ride whan you're really cold. Get off and stomp around a bit. Especially if you get stuck in cloud in the mountains.

If someone yells you your bike/kit/extras are uncool - f**k 'em.

yes, have learned the disc lock already, now have a yellow lanyard to remind me.

great advice, keep it coming.

Never accelerate while cranked over on brand new tyres

A few others...

- FSH often doesn't mean anything of consequence....

- "Backorder" is often an excuse for "forgot" or similar bullshit....

- "That's the best finance rate/price/PX I can do" rarely is the best...

- Talking shite to your mates about bikes is not "riding experience"...

- Deduct at least 10% of "tall story" speeds except kawasakis which is at least 20%

PS When Harley and Ducati riders talk about "reliability" it is purely relative

PPS NEVER EVER believe "cancelled order" (you lucky thing)!!

Top 5 lessons you have learned the hard way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) There is absolutely no substitute for experience - You can never spend too much time in the saddle learning and re-learning how to ride. Sometimes I scare myself at how bad my riding feels after a long break from riding.

2) Always trust your instincts - If something doesn't feel quite right eg unsure about an overtake, don't do it. I've lost count of the number of times I've held back when the road appeared clear, only to find a car suddenly emerge from a hidden junction/blind crest/oncoming truck and think "thank god for that I could have been dead". A good mantra is "Whenever there is doubt, there is no doubt" eg if not 110% sure, don't attempt it.

3) Assume nothing, expect the unexpected - Just because a vehicle is indicating doesn't mean it will make a turn (and vice-versa). I managed to turn a potential sideswipe into a bar-end versus wing mirror thanks to being on the ball and assuming nothing. I also got taken out at the same roundabout by an Audi driving moron of a woman who didn't see me alongside her. I saw her but couldn't avoid her. Lesson learnt the hard way.

4) Be VERY wary of housewives with cars full of kids when navigating a roundabout. They will ignore your right of way and pull onto the roundabout in front of you, then blank you because they realise they are in the wrong. If I had a quid for the number of times its happened I could stand a round in my local. Not had to do that the hard way but came too close more than once too often (the accident, not standing the round).

5) All elderly drivers should terrify you with instant fear. They passed their driving tests a long time ago when roads were less congested, their reactions may well have dulled over the years, as has their vision and hazard perception. Give them a respectful wide berth. A good friend has a mechanical knee joint thanks to an elderly gent who didn't see him on his Bonneville on a Sunday ride.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax

G-spot locator Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    dont take the queens shilling cos it seemed like a good idea at the time
    dont let the management of the above perswade you should take up amateur boxing cos you're a big lad
    dont drink rough cider the after effects are awfull
    never pick a fight with anyone who looks like they can run faster than you
    never try to get the last word in a row with the femail of the species
    these words of wisdom were learned the hard way in the university of life
    hard knocks n dirty socks
    ride safe g.s.john
    Born to ride now retired
    Now mortgage free YEEHAAA
    Einstein said two things are infinate human stupidity and the universe but i am not too sure about the universe
    2007 R1200 G.S

Slow in, Fast out.

Never skimp on tyres. ditto brake pads.

If you look stupid, but you're warm, you're not stupid.

Just because they're crazy doesn't mean it won't be fun for a while.

Follow your dreams.

Oh and as an extra, a quote from Sheck Exley: Whatever works, works.

Quote "If you look stupid, but you're warm, you're not stupid"

- Summer biking may possibly be a fashion statement but winter biking is purely survival of the fittest (and warmest)

H/G's, Muffs and Gauchos are purely practical and once used, never forgotten

After a good night out on scrumpy, NEVER trust a fart

Never pass a toilet without using it

Never waste an erection

Quote Originally Posted by Clearandlock View Post
    yes, have learned the disc lock already, now have a yellow lanyard to remind me.

great advice, keep it coming.

A good alternative to a lanyard is a piece of plastic tubing 2 or 3 mm wide. (Home brew kit, brake bleeding kit ...something like that). Keep it pushed over your disc lock key. Go to use disc lock, remove tubeing and immediately put it over ignition key, return to bike, key won't go in ignition 'cos of tubing...remove disc lock and put tubing on disc lock key ...... etc etc etc.. Tubing lives it's life on one or t'other key ...

1/ The ability to corner quicker than your mates, does not make you a good rider. (this is normally assumed to be good/clever by lots of people who should know better ) (usually the ones with little God given talent)
    2/ No matter how long you've been at it, your never out of the woods in this game.

Best regards Stretch

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Never ever be first away at the traffic light grand prix - one day they'll be something jumping the lights coming across you.

Don't bother with Hi-Vis. If someone doesn't look it's pointless, plus don't depend on being seen.

Before overtaking look in a car drivers wing mirror to see if he is looking in it for you. If he/she isn't, say to yourself "look in your mirror you bastard" you'd be surprised how often they will then look

Remember, dog leads can be anything up to 25 foot long

There is no need to get wet and cold while riding a bike in this day and age. If you do, take a long look in the mirror at yourself - You twat.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Another which I always keep in mind...

If a car driver's wearing a hat, no matter if it's an old doder in a Trilby/flat cap or a chav with a baseball hat/hoody, even if it's on the parcel shelf...take extra care
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    Never ever be first away at the traffic light grand prix - one day they'll be something jumping the lights coming across you.

Don't bother with Hi-Vis. If someone doesn't look it's pointless, plus don't depend on being seen.

Before overtaking look in a car drivers wing mirror to see if he is looking in it for you. If he/she isn't, say to yourself "look in your mirror you bastard" you'd be surprised how often they will then look

Remember, dog leads can be anything up to 25 foot long

There is no need to get wet and cold while riding a bike in this day and age. If you do, take a long look in the mirror at yourself - You twat.
    Re no 1... Was at lights Euston Rd to Marylbone Rd many years ago and was slow away () from lights... Another courier bloke in front got the jump and i saw him get missed by a twat accellerating up TottenhamCRd. Was no more than a blue Rizla away and he stopped by side of the road and I stopped... the bloke was white as a sheet.... After that "Check both ways before proceeding" etc

Re no 2...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast