Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 lessons you have learned the hard way

Next the Tay and elsewhere.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    'Baby on Board' or any similar sticker/sign in the rear window of a car is of course referring to the 'being' behind the wheel......
    Sometimes, Bullshit smells of Piss Take!

Putting things into perspective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCV3...ature=youtu.be

Remember the 'First 5 minutes, Last 5 Minutes' rule... 'cos it's those minutes you are most likey to kill you.

In the first 5 minutes of a journey you might well not have switched on yet, you're riding on auto-pilot and not really thinking yet. (include any setting away from stops at services etc in this one too!).

In the last 5 minutes you have switched off, the journey is mentally at an end and the kettle is on/pint is poured...

My last student totalled a bike, plus the oncoming car that turned right in front of him, pushing it into another car. When he came round in the ambulance he said, 'can't believe it, just like you said, last 5 minutes, I was already back at the base, I never saw her before I hit her.'

Not his fault, but he knew he should have seen the event about to happen. amazingly uninjured except for stunning bruising; he will never ever get a better lesson in keeping alert. The journey isn't over until you walk away from the bike and it hasn't fallen over because you remembered to put the stand down..!

Got it all on HD video, makes me cringe everytime I play it to new students...

So take it easy and keep it fun!

Son of Ah Knah Yee Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Take off your reading glasses before descending stairs...

PUI since 2004

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Any woman in a 4x4 with sunglasses propped on her blonde head and spawn in the back is DANGEROUS.

She will be totally focused on the spawn to the exclusion of everything else - including common sense, road courtesy or safety. All that matters is getting little Tarquin and Lucretia to prepschool before 0830.

That means she WILL ride you off the road and into a ditch, simply because you don't exist in her world. And don't expect the bitch to to stop either.
    Musings on bikes, nice watches and general arse over at : http://mmcmusings.com/

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by alleycam View Post
    Remember the 'First 5 minutes, Last 5 Minutes' rule... 'cos it's those minutes you are most likey to kill you.

In the first 5 minutes of a journey you might well not have switched on yet, you're riding on auto-pilot and not really thinking yet. (include any setting away from stops at services etc in this one too!).

In the last 5 minutes you have switched off, the journey is mentally at an end and the kettle is on/pint is poured...

My last student totalled a bike, plus the oncoming car that turned right in front of him, pushing it into another car. When he came round in the ambulance he said, 'can't believe it, just like you said, last 5 minutes, I was already back at the base, I never saw her before I hit her.'

Not his fault, but he knew he should have seen the event about to happen. amazingly uninjured except for stunning bruising; he will never ever get a better lesson in keeping alert. The journey isn't over until you walk away from the bike and it hasn't fallen over because you remembered to put the stand down..!

Got it all on HD video, makes me cringe everytime I play it to new students...

So take it easy and keep it fun!
    That's me fecked... I only go out for 10 minute rides..........
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

If in doubt....dont
    lifesaver before you maneuver
    parked cars - look for exhaust, person in car, door open a crack, etc
    dont trust their indicators - its only an indication they might do something
    dont expect indicators at roundabouts any more
    bumpy roads - watch out, they may think youre flashing them to go !
    mobile phone users - give a wide berth
    look for the face in the mirror before an overtake
    They are all idiots

Quote Originally Posted by hughguzzi View Post
    dont trust their indicators - its only an indication they might do something
    It's nothing more than an indication that the bulb works

never underestimate cold!!

As above really!!! Just because you have heated grips, it doesnt mean those thinnish but armoured gloves are gonna keep you warm. I found this out after 4 hours of riding to and from Wales today... At motorway speeds heated grips do not provide enough heat, especially when the temperature is hovering around freezing point!!!which really is no surprise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark2jag View Post
    As above really!!! Just because you have heated grips, it doesnt mean those thinnish but armoured gloves are gonna keep you warm. I found this out after 4 hours of riding to and from Wales today... At motorway speeds heated grips do not provide enough heat, especially when the temperature is hovering around freezing point!!!which really is no surprise!!!!
    Before anyone else says it.....

Muffs.

making mistakes is part of the learning/ growing up/ growinig old process... try not to make the same mistake twice or be killed cos that's a serious stumbling block.

Learn as much as you can then try to remember it, if your a goldfish. All you need to remember is " what a beautiful view!"...

Stuff you've learnt only has value if you can apply it, and it gets out the shit. Rather than further in it...

halfway there is neither, here or there.

Before gettting into an argument consider both sides carefully, unbeknown to you. They may have a point, you maybe a twat....

Seek medical advice before it drops off...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    Before anyone else says it.....

Muffs.
    He won't learn. He'll just get thicker gloves.

Making the same mistake 20 times does not constitute experience.

Dont ride a bike in snow the road is very hard and I'm in alot of pain right now

Shedi Knight Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Lo-IQ View Post
    halfway there is neither, here or there.
    As the man said when he put his truss on upside down.

If you've fixed it 4 times already
    - you haven't actually fixed it once.
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Talking

When it's bleeding freezing, you know when your hands are too cold to work your controls properly when you can't get your thumb to reach and touch your little finger - (next time your hands are cold, try it!)

If you get so cold and then find that in fact it's okay, and then find you are feeling great and even warm, beware this is called hypothermia. It's a weird sensation and frightened me when it finally dawned on me what was really happening

Oh and Steptoe
    , you might not need to get out more, but you sure need to go further!

Shedi Knight Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by alleycam View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]...
    If you get so cold and then find that in fact it's okay, and then find you are feeling great and even warm, beware this is called hypothermia. It's a weird sensation and frightened me when it finally dawned on me what was really happening ... :
    ah yes - i have a permanent reminder - top joint in my right thumb clicks like a feckin castanet after i got hypothermia and frostbite as a stupid courier.
    i never ever want to feel that cold again.
    appears bright from a distance / dim up close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast