Noisy peak on Arai Tour x

rlbgs

Reaction score
I know its been mentioned many times before here that Tour x's suffer from noise and vibration particularly on GSA's at motorway speeds but is there any simples fixes out there? Like reinforcing the visor or something. I've tried different settings on the screen but no luck. At high speeds I find the vibration so uncomfortable I dont't even wear earplugs.

Also while we are on the topic is there something I can do to have the option of an easily removable tinted insert for the visor?

Attachments

• tour x.jpg
    tour x.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 946
pop down to your local tyre shop get a stick on lead wheel balancing weight and stick it to the underside of the peak...hey presto vibes gone;)

Do you have your screen set to its most upright position ? I found that by lowering my screen in increments I was able to find the perfect position to eliminate any vibration.

I always found that by holding the peak whilst riding eradicated the vibrations caused by the wind. Standing up to enter a smooth airflow had the same effect.

In an attempt to reduce the vibrations and get both hands free I fitted a piece of aluminium sheet to the underside of the peak, bent to match the contour of the peak itself. I used double sided tape to fix it and then black duck tape to smooth out the contours of the underside and stop any relection off the aluminium.

Like most modification it has worked to a certain extent but as expected it has not eradicated it.

Not sure what you mean by 'high' speeds but anything above 70-75 and it's gonna vibrate as that's about its' design limit. If you want to go faster, take the peak off or use another helmet. At higher speeds, it's not the vibration that bothers me so much as my head getting pulled when i look over my shoulder. Which i tend to do a lot :toungincheek

As to the tinted visor insert .... sunglasses or a pinlock tinted insert.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pinlock-Inser...?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item5d28cda92d

I did try closing my eyes when the sun was in my eyes but it ended in tears ;)

Cheers,
Dave

Tried all the fixes but still vibrates and with the foam ear plugs drives me nuts, have some custom made ones which are better and don't get that 'drumming'.

Wear normal Arai this time of year, Tour X only for warm/hot weather.

Teejay

Forgot, tinted pinlock is what you need, the light tint is quiet good as it kills the glare without being too dark so if you are still out late its not too bad, full tint for the works.

Teejay

I have the same helmet on a gs and same issue, surprised the larger screen on the GSA didn't help. In the end I had to take the peak off. You could try one of those spoilers from touratech or wunderlich or areostich or something. Tilting you head downwards I found helped a bit.

Having had the same problem, my attempted fixes were:

• Attach a piece of screen edge trim to the leading edge of the peak. This stiffens it a bit.

• Make up rubber shims to fit between the shell and the peak where it touches the shell at the sides.

• Use filtered earplugs instead of foam ones.

• Give up and buy a Shoe Hornet

Well not quite - I still wear the Tour X occasionally but the Hornet, although it does suffer from the same problem to some extent, isn't nearly so bad; probably due to the shorter peak which is attached to the shell at three points rather than the two on the Tour X.

I also find that the LEDs which I fitted to the peak of my Hornet have stiffened it a bit. That might also work on a Tour X -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476100[/url

Thought I'd add that being 5'9", I find that if the screen on my '04 R1150GSA is at its' lowest, i get less turbulence and less peak vibration. When i get a chance i'll get the lead wheel balancing lead on it too to see if that kills it completely.

Dave

Ok, don't want to revive a long-dead thread but I found a really quick cheap fix for this I thought I would share.

I simply cut a little fuel hose down and inserted it as show - no more peak buzz. I can't tell you how relieved I am to get away from that sound!!

Arai%20fix.jpg

If it whistles then take off the covers either side of the visor/peak mounting points and check that the adjustment slot hasn't got a piece of plastic running across it limiting the peak adjustment travel. The plastic but looks like it should be cut out by the factory but isn't.
Mine had the plastic and the peak whistled. Removing the plastic bit meant I had more peak adjustment and it stopped the whistling.

Also while we are on the topic is there something I can do to have the option of an easily removable tinted insert for the visor?
You can buy a reactolite pinlock for the Arai.

The wheel weights work to a certain extent but the other thing is have you got the peak at its most up position as that seems to help as well
and yest the reactalite pinlock as above

My TourcrossX 4 came fitted with a large piece of adhesive rubber under the peak. It seems to stop hum and vibration. Of course I have a mahoosive screen fitted as well so that's stopping the wind as well. :augie

I've got a reactive pinlock for my tour x that goes dark in the sun.

It works a treat day and night, it cost quite a bit more than the standard (£45 IIRC) but it is good.

Ok, don't want to revive a long-dead thread but I found a really quick cheap fix for this I thought I would share.

I simply cut a little fuel hose down and inserted it as show - no more peak buzz. I can't tell you how relieved I am to get away from that sound!!

Arai%20fix.jpg

Bugger, did I miss the attachment?? Can you post again please.

Thanks. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom