Gearbox Overhaulers

Sylvester

Reaction score
I want to get my g/box overhauled this winter and get the short 1st gear/long 5th gear mod done at the same time. Can anyone recommend a good source? The local companies are a bit expensive but I don't have the overseas postage problem, UK overhaulers are cheaper. Eitherway I'd prefer to use a Tosser pre-approved source. I'd do it myself but I have no time available. Does having the taller 5th gear make a big difference?

I want to get my g/box overhauled this winter and get the short 1st gear/long 5th gear mod done at the same time. Can anyone recommend a good source? The local companies are a bit expensive but I don't have the overseas postage problem, UK overhaulers are cheaper. Eitherway I'd prefer to use a Tosser pre-approved source. I'd do it myself but I have no time available. Does having the taller 5th gear make a big difference?

I saw this quote by Steve Sciminger who builds boxer engines to be good enough to go in planes ...

Vapour clean gear box case £30.00 plus vat
Bearing kit £62.50 plus vat
Selector kit £8.50 plus vat
Gasket and seal kit £20.00 plus vat
High 5th £99.00 plus vat
Labour to rebuild is £125 plus vat

IMHO :rob

I'd rather try and persuade Rob Farmer to rebuild it for you...:thumb2

He's done one for me and it's silky smooth now :bow

Thinking of the same mod and having a go myself.

Can anyone list the replacement parts?

Thanks

Thinking of the same mod and having a go myself.

Can anyone list the replacement parts?

Thanks

You will need access to a couple of special tools, the puller for the flange on the output shaft, a shimming plate, a depth micrometer and a selection of shims at the very least as well as a certain amount of knowledge and a feel for gearboxes. Access to a 30t hydraulic press would help as well if you are thinking of changing gears and bearings.

cheers,

I just clicked on the above link to the motoren israel site & the virus protection gave a loud ding ding ding & said it detected a virus & aborted the connection. I don't know ocmputors very well but thought I'd give a heads up

Good call.
They've either been hacked or their website has died for some other reason, but the page just returns a scripting error.

Good call.
They've either been hacked or their website has died for some other reason, but the page just returns a scripting error.

Odd. Works AOK for me.
It uses Javascript and may be trying to get you to install the latest Java.

Also works in Firefox & Seamonkey but not in Iron:nenau
Have you got that AVG site scanner running? Piece of poo.

John

I want to get my g/box overhauled this winter and get the short 1st gear/long 5th gear mod done at the same time.
I'd prefer to use a Tosser pre-approved source.
Does having the taller 5th gear make a big difference?

Hi,

I've rebuilt a few and have all the necessary tools.

I haven't heard any complaints from 'Bumpmuncher' or 'Seancb' (now known as 'R100-7' or something :nenau ).

I put the taller 5th gear in to Sean's box, but I haven't ridden his bike so can't comment on the difference.

If you get stuck give me a PM. I only charge for parts - about £150 for a full set of bearings, seals, springs & gaskets. Add £50.00 if you want the circlip mod (though I may be able to do that myself now that I have carbide cutters for my lathe).

Obviously any other parts/jobs required will be charged at cost.

I'd prefer to wait until after the New Year as I have a Toyota Landcruiser Transfer box undergoing repair for a fellah in Somerset (see where hobbies take you :blast ).

Bob.

yup my gear box is still going strong :thumb2:thumb2 slick and smooth :eek: (as long as you dont try to change gear too quickly) only minor issue it has had was the output seal got a bit leaky. soon sorted with new seal. no problem scince. (afaik you can have the same problem from pro gearbox builders) Bob provided a very professional service and didnt take months. I would have no problem using his services again :bow:bow Thank you again voyager:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom