Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overtaking

Drivers in the South

I have just finished some Blue Light training in cars around Hertfordshire and drivers just do not want to react. They always seem in a rush and want to get where they what to go yesterday. RUSH, RUSH, RUSH. Makes for interesting driving. Makes for good video...

Rush, Rush

Quote Originally Posted by advancedbiker View Post
    I have just finished some Blue Light training in cars around Hertfordshire and drivers just do not want to react. They always seem in a rush and want to get where they what to go yesterday. RUSH, RUSH, RUSH. Makes for interesting driving. Makes for good video...
    Just thinking about all this makes me kind of buck the trend in this element of the thread. I reckon that drivers now, dan sarf, seem to be more bike aware, and react favourably towards us. I definitely remember years ago when the biker was almost attacked by motorists, and I rode the bike then in all weathers, every day of the year. It was all I had, and this includes despatch riding around London in my life after the police. Virtually every day saw drivers "closing the gap" and "shutting the door" in such an obvious way that it was a deliberate act and often downright dangerous. Now, I always see cars moving aside when filtering, offering signals as they do so.

Problem is, all this was more than 20 years ago. We now have the ubiquitous mobile phone, advanced in car audio/dvd systems, and probably a more relaxed attitude to driving standards. Couple this with the fact that a majority of drivers do not look more than 40 or 50 yards in front of them and that increases the need for caution. This latter fact is especially important to remember, 'cos although we may pride ourselves that we observe "to infinity and beyond", it must be remembered that few other road users do the same, and to these guys we suddenly pop into their 50 yards of vision apparently hogging the road at excessive speed. Think back to a) the guy that you saw almost yesterday WAY up the road and across the field, who still flashes you when you execute an excellently timed overtake and b) the on coming car in a side street who keeps coming when you have right of way, only to brake sharply 50 yards away, having suddenly become aware of you in his little world.

Micky is absolutely on the money when he intimates that you should ALWAYS have somewhere to ease into, a kind of escape route, when carrying out any kind of overtaking manouevre. We all know the rider that is really "lucky" when filtering/overtaking, the guy that smoothly moves through the traffic without much braking and who never seems to have his progression impeded on his way to the front of the queue. Strange how that works really!!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm agreeing with all of you... jeez, must be Christmas....

I think the "at" bit was a bit misunderstood as it originally started from Giles getting his camera angle....

Riding in London in the 90's was a battle of wills and presence was everything... Being a courier gave you plenty of "presence attitude"

I used to get a shock when i went to the SW to see family. I coined the terms London 30 (45-50) and the Cornish 30 (20!). Too many trippperrs

I think people are a bit more bike aware now as there are probably about 5 times as more bikes out there (even if mostly for summer...)

In France and many other EU countries bikes are treated with much more respect. I remember seeing the Euro scooter culture for the 1st time and thinking that the UK could do with a bit of that and hey presto. Many Euro folk have started on a scooter at 14.

I still remember going to the Bol 'dor and seeing how nearly everyone was interested in you being there rather than looking at you like crap and the country folk on the bridges waving at you on the way back..... with banners rather than lumps of concrete

I also remember that riding in UK urban areas meant that the other drivers attitude was that they would never see you again so treated you accordingly.

A good thread and Giles's OP gives great advice and has the great "how not to" vids...

Gotta admit that when on a ride and coming up behind a big queue of traffic, moving or otherwise, i have always treated it as a fun challenge than a hinderence. A bit of "overtaking sport" or one of my dot to dot games....

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigsby1 View Post
    They do when yer leaning over...... keep yer feet warm though
    So lets see Wrigsby ... you're leaning over when you're howling in to one of those 'breathe in' moments are we, when the pots might be an embarrassment

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    So lets see Wrigsby ... you're leaning over when you're howling in to one of those 'breathe in' moments are we, when the pots might be an embarrassment

I used to go back to "the smoke" for the odd trip after i moved to the SW. We were seeing a band in the West End and i borrowed the company K12LT for the trip and "breath in" became the motto for me to my girlie for some of the tighter filtering. "The panniers are narrower than the mirrors" was my excuse...

Sightly more "seriously".... When we were talking cornering a bit back the width of a Beemer against a sports bike has to be taken in to consideration when positioning, espec or any sort of lefty. And so it goes that the width of a trailie style has to be remembered for any recent converts...

Good height for eyeballing van drivers though...

Me gets the impression that you is a bit of a nutter Wrigsby .....

Quote Originally Posted by giles lamb View Post
    I don't think so... "On the outside Mr Sensible, etc, etc"

Hey we all enjoy a good blast don't we One big thing is that a trip to something like the TT or the Bol etc makes you realise that you are somewhere safely in the middle ground!

I enjoy things that are a biking challenge and up her in 60N it aint much o one. Next year might see a move "Sooth" to Scotland () or similar and there is a road in Dumfries & Galloway with my name on it leading from Girvan to Newton Stewart which would make a nice round trip on a Sunday morn.

+I need some trees again...

Good thread & big effort Giles...

Quote Originally Posted by giles lamb View Post
    Soooo how did I get that impression too Sir Giles

Hey Wrigsby I'm on Shetland for the Simmer Dim in June .... buy you a

Adventure.GS

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Soooo how did I get that impression too Sir Giles

Hey Wrigsby I'm on Shetland for the Simmer Dim in June .... buy you a

Might o moved by then..... The Simmer Dim is a local legend, espec for the hardened drinkers... I am usually away on a trip somewhere "gaan sooth" but I have had some drinking bouts on the isles of Whalsay amongst idder tings..... where "it' even haard tae keep up whi da wifes"

Most of the big bikers up here either started the Simmer Dim or are seriously battle hardened...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigsby1 View Post
    I don't think so... "On the outside Mr Sensible, etc, etc"

Hey we all enjoy a good blast don't we One big thing is that a trip to something like the TT or the Bol etc makes you realise that you are somewhere safely in the middle ground!

I enjoy things that are a biking challenge and up her in 60N it aint much o one. Next year might see a move "Sooth" to Scotland () or similar and there is a road in Dumfries & Galloway with my name on it leading from Girvan to Newton Stewart which would make a nice round trip on a Sunday morn.

+I need some trees again...

Good thread & big effort Giles...
    Girvan to Newton Stewart is on my home patch If you are comming tae mak a wee bit o progess on it, a wee caution the surface is getting with the ice and the almost complete lack of maintainance also the number of deer that seem to have appeared .
    So enchoy but keep a decent wee bit in reserve
    still no deid

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Girvan to Newton Stewart is on my home patch If you are comming tae mak a wee bit o progess on it, a wee caution the surface is getting with the ice and the almost complete lack of maintainance also the number of deer that seem to have appeared .
    So enchoy but keep a decent wee bit in reserve

Cheers! We were on our way down Sooth this summer and were looking at a couple of houses.... We did the road on the way to Newton Stewart but sadly were in a LWB LT35 van with acres of crap and 4 dogs! All i could think was I wish i had the f'ing bike whi me

Great going up da waa but like you said a bit patchy in the forest coming down, not helped by the big feck off trucks for a new windfarm... We had pulled off for a mo and an artic++ came the other way with a blade (I think?) on it

Bonnie place and with a bit of luck it may be a bit more "local" for us at some point

gs1150
    +1

Newton Stewart to Stranraer even..........that section of the A75 is treacherous in this weather. I rode to stranraer christmas eve last year on the sv 650 and the last 25 miles was sheet ice. it was sleeting when i got to Newton Stewart and got worse from there on in. the bike was sliding on the corners and wheel spinning on the straights. the folk were surprised to see me at the ferry port with a motorbike in tact and ice on my boots.

it is usally closed if the weather gets really bad, it got closed on christmas eve last year and again on the 27th dec due to heavy ice.

I'd take care on that section of road even on 4 wheels!

For the guys who ride the things with blue flashies for their job...

Do you ride/position differently when on your private stead ?

Quote Originally Posted by rce View Post
    For the guys who ride the things with blue flashies for their job...

Do you ride/position differently when on your private stead ?
    Well it's a few years since I retired rce but for me, basically ..... no!

Actually, quite often, in heavy traffic, I would switch off the twos'n blue's on a shout because it just fecked people up

With the best intentions they would get in my way, shut the door so to speak. So I picked my way through them and the first thing they knew, the first thing they saw ... was me in front of them

That's how I ride today ... like a stealth bomber, below radar, invisible ... I do my own thinking, and theirs for them

Adventure.GS

That's how I ride today ... like a stealth bomber, below radar, invisible ... I do my own thinking, and theirs for them
    "Have no expectations and you won't be dissapointed".

Gotta say that when couriering and people saying how we rode like twats, I used to say "you worry about you and we will worry about us".

I used to have a very worn CBR that was in "stealth black". As it was out of a can from Halfords (or was it Trago.... SW joke there) I couldn't guarantee it's anti radar properties

Well it's a few years since I retired rce but for me, basically ..... no!

Actually, quite often, in heavy traffic, I would switch off the twos'n blue's on a shout because it just fecked people up

With the best intentions they would get in my way, shut the door so to speak. So I picked my way through them and the first thing they knew, the first thing they saw ... was me in front of them

Could'nt agree more! There's very little I do differently.

When I'm on a job bike, there's a corporate image that goes with the territory, and I need to be just a little bit sensitive to the public perception of police riding. So reading between the lines there, I might be a bit lairy if there's nothing about, but if there's stuff on the road, I need to be a little bit cute.

Mickys comments on blues and twos haven't changed in the fifteen years or however long he's been out. We mentioned coming up behind vehicles versus oncoming vehicles earlier, and more often than not, the stuff infront of you will unwittingly feed you into a traffic island or they'll slow down opposite another slowing oncoming and in trying to help, they actually make the perfect pinchpoint !

Often the best tac is no noise, no lights, whoosh ... Of course the problem is that public perception; fecking coppers .... late for their tea again...!! And to boot if there was a prang and I had no lights or blues on, every body would be saying 'well why wasn't he ....'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast