Bikes and equipment on the Trip

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a seperate thread purely for discussion of the bikes we are taking.

I'll more than likely be on a 660 Tenere (not 100% sure yet) with Wolfman soft luggage.

If you want to follow the route turn by turn, you will need a proper road book for the maps. The road map is approx 6cm across the the small TT roadbook will be perfect. I'll also supply larger maps for a tank bag and I would recommend you either get a tank bag or find a way to read the maps. I will have my GPS as a back up but it's really not necessary. A lot of the roads aren't on the GPS but it helps anyway!

Attachments

• Road book.JPG
    Road book.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,143
GPS

I was wondering whether anyone has converted the maps to waypoints on Mapsource?

If not as we have a good selection of maps is there anyone willing to convert so we can go by sat nav as well as road book?

I don't mind helping but my current map info only goes as far as Ireland so will need some updates before I can start!

S

I'm sure someone on the planet has done the route on mapsource but that is not the point and we will go to places which don't figure on GPS:eek:

Part of the fun of this trip is following the roadbook which is accurate and will get you there.

Having said that, there are GPS co ordinates on some of the road maps which are useful for cross checking.

Plot your route as you go along with mapsource but I will not be following this on the trip. I like and trust the old ways:thumb

Hi, Sent Sgt Bilco a PM but not sure if you`ve got it? Perhaps when time could you call me about TAT . Cheers Den (07831341217) Send your number and I`ll call you.
Happy christmas all.............

Here's my ride :D Best dig out some crash bars and some bark busters....

Attachments

• Super ten.jpg
    Super ten.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 940
heres mine today, testing tank MPG 140 so far, not sure tank size.

Need to jack the back up as a BILLET STAND from USA has stood the thing upright.

Thinking about a damper as very light at 80mph on the dirt roads today.

Attachments

• ktm 006.jpg
    ktm 006.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 799
  • ktm 007.jpg
    ktm 007.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 770
  • ktm 009.jpg
    ktm 009.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 785
  • ktm 011.jpg
    ktm 011.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 781
  • ktm 010.jpg
    ktm 010.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 775
Here is mine for the trip - less new bars, barkbusters and tyres

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 706
Luggage wise are you guys all taking soft or hard panniers ??

Soft luggage for me, either just a roll bag or soft panniers:)
1215825133_vcbmN-XL.jpg

1215825970_oDSVw-XL.jpg

Just need to decide which tyres, possibly MT21s:thumb
1215829251_sD9Gj-XL.jpg

Luggage wise are you guys all taking soft or hard panniers ??

Simon

Most of us on this trip will be with a roll bag or soft luggage as Tim has already posted.

Hard panniers are OK but if you bin it in the arse end of nowhere (because that is where you will be;)) and get your leg trapped underneath, that is gonna hurt:eek:

Run as light as you can because the going can be very tough especially on the high passes through Nevada and Utah but we are not going that far on this trip:thumb.

ok so soft panniers are the order of the day might have to fit a small hard top box then as I have some kit I want to keep reasonably safe.

As for travelling light I should be ok on that front did a 25 day trip last year taught me that I'd taken way too much crap and spent most of my time unloading stuff that I never used, as I will be camping a fair bit though I do have a tent and sleeping bag but combined weight is in the region of 2kg along with a small stove & gas although where possible I'll be cooking the old fashioned way with natural resources.

less than 3 months to go and I'm beginning to brick it a bit as every day seems to throw up something I've forgotten. I'm also waiting for spot to release this http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=116 but really want to have it for a bit before I go so that I can see how it works ( not the SOS obviously).

ANOTHER HARDER 100 miles under my belt today, kit standing up well.

Seat goes in Wednesday for work, less hight and GEL pads.

Chris I need to pay you

Got the road book and twat nav on the Katoum dash. Thanks for the bracket Louisdut:thumb

Just waiting for teh wolfman soft luggage and MT21's and we are good to go:D

Attachments

• KTM dash.JPG
    KTM dash.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 304
  • KTM .JPG
    KTM .JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 296

Back
Top Bottom