Laptop wont start up

brassmonkey001

I should change this
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been given a secondhand laptop that has some "issues".
I was told it takes about ten minutes to start up and if I uninstall Macafee it should run a lot better.
Well, I've tried it and I can't get it to start up at all except in safe mode. I've uninstalled macafee and a couple of other things that are not required but it still won't start up other than in safe mode.
I've downloaded CCleaner and run that a few times and I've also downloaded superantispyware which is currently running.
I also downloaded Avast which didn't want to run so I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials but that wouldn't install in safe mode.

Any suggestions? :nenau

format the windows partition (probably C:> drive) and reinstall the operating system from the original CDROM or hidden partition.

Running a full checkdisk scan on the hard drive after the format is probably a god idea too.

On most PCs you press F1 to enter the setup menu when booting up the machine. Setup menu should give the the options to reinstall the operating system.

Talk me through it. I'm stumped at the first bit. Format partition? :confused:

Also, I don't have a CD to reinstall the OS from.

Talk me through it. I'm stumped at the first bit. Format partition? :confused:

Also, I don't have a CD to reinstall the OS from.

Very unlikely to get a CD now. There will probably be a hidden section on the hard drive to use for the re-installation.

Can you get to the "set-up" menu?

Watch the screen when you first boot up - it usually says "press F1 for set-up" but on some makes it might be "DEL" or something else.

Once you get the set-up menu it should walk you through the process.

If you can't, what model is the laptop? Someone familiar with the make or model might be able to talk you through the right button pressing.

I can get into the setup menu.
(F2 button on a Acer Travelmate 4670 if anyone else is interested.)
Where do I go from here?
Oh, what's the F12 Boot Menu BTW? Anything interesting in there?

I can get into the setup menu.
(F2 button on a Acer Travelmate 4670 if anyone else is interested.)
Where do I go from here?
Oh, what's the F12 Boot Menu BTW? Anything interesting in there?

f12 - go for it! See if it offers you a restore to factory setting

...failing that..

..one other option, from a working Internetted machine, get on Acer's site, download all relevant drivers for that model and for the version of Windows you intend to run (graphics driver, network card driver, sound driver, etc. etc. etc.), unzip all the downloaded stuff and burn it to a CD ready to use.

..then get your (legit :D) copy of Windows installation CD and boot from the CD ROM when starting the laptop - do a completely fresh installation of Windows and choose to format the partition when prompted.

Once Windows starts, you should be able to put the CD you burned above with all your relevant drivers on it in the drive and start getting it back on its feet.

:thumb2

...failing that..

..one other option, from a working Internetted machine, get on Acer's site, download all relevant drivers for that model and for the version of Windows you intend to run (graphics driver, network card driver, sound driver, etc. etc. etc.), unzip all the downloaded stuff and burn it to a CD ready to use.

..then get your (legit :D) copy of Windows installation CD and boot from the CD ROM when starting the laptop - do a completely fresh installation of Windows and choose to format the partition when prompted.

Once Windows starts, you should be able to put the CD you burned above with all your relevant drivers on it in the drive and start getting it back on its feet.

:thumb2

I haven't got a Widows installation CD, legit or otherwise. :nenau

Oh, F12 wasn't much use either. :(

Download the latest ISO of Linux Mint (10) on another machine, burn it to a disk and boot your machine from it, if it works OK and you like it click the install icon on the desktop and enjoy :thumb2

http://www.linuxmint.com/

It is simplicity itself to install and you should not have any issues with drivers either.

Any more hints, tips, suggestions? :nenau

it sounds like you've got a load of antivirus/spyware etc programs installed and they're all trying to compete with each other, therefore maybe causing the problems with startup.

If you can still get it going in safe mode.....

press START, in the RUN space, type MSCONFIG

in the box that appears, click on the start up tab and UNTICK all the boxes referring to all anti spyware/antivirus etc progams. Click on OK. reboot the computer. then do the uninstalls as below

If the above is too complicated, from safe mode, try to use the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM in the control panel to uninstall all your antispyware etc programs.

Once you've got rid of them only use 1 antivirus program (ie AVG Free) and 1 anti malware (ie Noadware)

On the other hand, I believe the Travelmate has a recovery partition (D:) to check, open MY COMPUTER and see if you have what appears as 2 hard drives (C & D) and a CDRom drive (E:). you should be able to reinstall from here OR from the start menu if there if something like ACER recovery...?

Try here for more info......http://www.user-guides.co.uk/forums/Acer-Aspire-Extensa-Travelmate-Ferrari-Veriton-ect-F2.html

:)

it sounds like you've got a load of antivirus/spyware etc programs installed and they're all trying to compete with each other, therefore maybe causing the problems with startup.

If you can still get it going in safe mode.....

press START, in the RUN space, type MSCONFIG

in the box that appears, click on the start up tab and UNTICK all the boxes referring to all anti spyware/antivirus etc progams. Click on OK. reboot the computer. then do the uninstalls as below

If the above is too complicated, from safe mode, try to use the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM in the control panel to uninstall all your antispyware etc programs.

Once you've got rid of them only use 1 antivirus program (ie AVG Free) and 1 anti malware (ie Noadware)

On the other hand, I believe the Travelmate has a recovery partition (D:) to check, open MY COMPUTER and see if you have what appears as 2 hard drives (C & D) and a CDRom drive (E:). you should be able to reinstall from here OR from the start menu if there if something like ACER recovery...?

Try here for more info......http://www.user-guides.co.uk/forums/Acer-Aspire-Extensa-Travelmate-Ferrari-Veriton-ect-F2.html

:)

I've disabled everything in START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP and it's still the same. I've tried uninstalling a load of stuff through Add/Remove programs but some stuff doesn't seem to want to go.

Download the latest ISO of Linux Mint (10) on another machine, burn it to a disk and boot your machine from it, if it works OK and you like it click the install icon on the desktop and enjoy :thumb2

http://www.linuxmint.com/

It is simplicity itself to install and you should not have any issues with drivers either.

this is the way to go...linux is perfect for older knackered laptops

I've disabled everything in START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP and it's still the same. I've tried uninstalling a load of stuff through Add/Remove programs but some stuff doesn't seem to want to go.

So, can you see a D: drive with anything in it?

BM, is it running Windows XP, if it is look on the bottom and see if the windows licence key is still legible, if it is XP Service pack 1 or 2 and you can read the licence PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

as it is an acer there is a hidden recovery drive.

as its booting up hold hold the ALT key and keep tapping F10 until you get the recovery screen - follow the instructions and its done.

Back
Top Bottom