Laptop wont start up

our old laptop used to freeze too - it was the ram.

btw - ubuntu isn't mint, like wot i said - thats why you can't understand it.

mint is for beginners.......btw - its your RAM :D

With all/both ram chips in computer download and run a program called memtest . If no faults then ram is ok.If you bung memtest on a stick or floppy depending how old pc is, boot and run it from that...

On the underside of the laptop, is there a compartment for RAM? Normally 2 or 4 small Phillips screws holding the cover on?

If so, open it, check for RAM modules installed. There may be 2, pull one out, try the machine. Still hangs? Swap that module out with the other and run on the single one again. Still hanging?

..If so, unlikely to be RAM, unless you have TWO bad memory modules - in which case, to be absolutely sure, see if anyone else has some comaptible RAM modules and try theirs. Last resort to iron out it isn't RAM is to buy one module for that machine. Kingston memory's website has a "RAM Configurator" IIRC, this lets you put in your laptop model and tells you what modules it accepts. Grab a part number and go find one on the web and Add to Cart, buy it, try it.

I replaced the RAM in post 35.

new ram can be faulty too. I've had faulty ram and had it replaced by more faulty ram.

Jeeeeeez!

Still not working after 3 months?

'bout time you binned the thing and bought another one.... even if you bought a new one on tick you'd likely finish paying for it before you got the old one running at this rate!

;)

Still not working after 3 months?

'bout time you binned the thing and bought another one.... even if you bought a new one on tick you'd likely finish paying for it before you got the old one running at this rate!

;)

Yeah, it's heading that way but I don't like to give up without a fight.

A laptop freezing could be down to anything;

Software - Dodgy driver, dodgy update, dodgy application software

Hardware - motherboard, RAM, overheating, the list goes on

Reinstalling the OS and driver would generally cure software issues.

Hardware issues can be down to elimination by replacing parts, checking fans etc.

Back
Top Bottom