Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans America Trail 2011

Dream Maker

Trans America Trail 2011

OK all, I've been asked by a few people to see if I could run this in 2011 so I'm going to say a yes for August 2011.

My knee isn't going to get any worse apparently so as long as i wear a proper motocross knee brace I should be OK. Anyone know a good one

Here are the basic details so let me know if you want to come and I'll start the organising:

Trip length: 3 weeks
    Bikes: Take your own pride and joy.
    Bike type: I would take a 650 Dakar, XT660, KTM540 or similar although anything from a DRZ to an HP2 to work well. I wouldn't advise a GS or equivalent big traillie as it can be really hard work.
    Shipping: Secure and fully insured container there and back. Just waiting for conformation from my shipper. Into Batimore, back from Denver.
    Route: TAT from Kentucky to Colorado and then ride some high Colorado passes.
    Maps: I have them all so will supply them
    Time: August 2011
    Luggage: We will stay in motels so will travel very light. Small panniers or soft luggage will be good or even a big roll bag will do.
    Equipment: Off road gear is the order of the day. It gets very hot so light is good!
    Skill level: You don't have to be an off road god but must be confident on dirt and have mechanical knowledge of your bike. If it breaks, we have to fix it because we will be miles from anywhere. I will set up a pre tour off road ride to make sure we all can ride!
    Cost: If I can get 8/10 bikes, I'm guessing it will be 4k max including shipping, flights etc etc
    Fun level: Very high because it is a real blast to ride and you will see things that you thought had long gone and a couple of cold ones after a day on the trail are the best ever tasted.

www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

It's good to be back .. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hi Chris

Please add me as a possible for this trip as well as the Alaska 2012 trip, I'd have to sort out a bike if you feel the 1200GS wouldn't be suitable, I've got a XR250 Honda as well but would probably look for something between the two, may even be able to borrow something.

Regards
    Bob Jeffries
    Retired, at last, time to see the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    My knee isn't going to get any worse apparently so as long as i wear a proper motocross knee brace I should be OK. Anyone know a good one
    I used a custom made carbon fiber one after I had ACL and MCL replacement surgery on my knee. After a year or so, I switched to an EVS

See: http://www.evs-sports.com/product/knee-braces/

They're pretty much the dog's for off road bikers.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

yes pls

Chris

Excellent! I am on for the 2011 TAT.
    I'll be on XC.
    Cheers

Would be interested in trip but don't think I would be able to do it till 2012! Let me know if it gets put back a year!

If not I hope you guys have fun!

Dream Maker
    I've been working on this today and changed the final destination point to Aluquerque New Mexico which gives us the chance to ride some of the fantastic routes in New Mexico.

Not only that, the Mexican food and Margarita's in ABQ are about the best you'll find.

If anyone wants to look at the route, pm me with you e-mail and I'll get it to you
    www.unchainedtours.com

Dream Maker
    Roll up, roll up, only a few places left for this off road adventure
    www.unchainedtours.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    I've been working on this today and changed the final destination point to Aluquerque New Mexico which gives us the chance to ride some of the fantastic routes in New Mexico.

Not only that, the Mexican food and Margarita's in ABQ are about the best you'll find.

If anyone wants to look at the route, pm me with you e-mail and I'll get it to you
    Not sure how I missed this first time around either! Can I have a shufty at the route please Chris

LPB?

LPB : this the trip I mentioned and it is back on for 2011! See you on the TAT?

Fantastic looking trip and am very envious

Worked in Texas some years back, bought a bike for $600 and travelled over to the West Coast, and back to Denver via PCH1, Yosemite, Death Valley, GC and the Rockies. Did try some of it off road but the bike struggled. Would love to go back and do this route on a decent bike.

Those vids posted by Sgt Bilco were good, particularly the yankee bikers who had done it. The yanks I met were always friendly, but it was the biker yanks who seemed the most travelled (and knew where Wales was, and accepted that it was unlikely that I knew the queen personally!)

Best to all who go - looks great!

.........:
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

I HATE YOU BILCO

But I love the last few seconds of this movie

R/C Hello pilot ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post

........... I love the last few seconds of this movie
    Steve, mate I am so looking forward to this! What bike will you take?

Dream Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post

I HATE YOU BILCO

But I love the last few seconds of this movie
    Just think, you'll be starring it it in August
    www.unchainedtours.com

Looks great, I'm working on money, time and permission
    KEA

R/C Hello pilot ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Looks great, I'm working on money, time and permission
    Tim, you know you want to do this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast